Thread: Denali

Default Denali

I lucked out and am going to Cantwell for work on Friday, the same weekend the National Parks are waiving the entrance fees. I've got half of Friday to tool around the Savage River area, then am on the Saturday 6a Eileson (sic?) shuttle. I've been to Denali twice, but haven't ventured off the road. Any input on a favorite area to hike for 7-10 hrs? I can do flat or uphill and will be looking to do some photography. If I could be greedy, I'd like to get some photos of a wolf/wolves. Muchas gracias.

Default 3 ideas

The hike up Mount Healy is well worth the effort, especially on a clear day. Won't take 7-10 hours, though -- maybe half that or so.

Triple Lakes trail is another good hike. It's often done as an overnighter with camping at the lakes. There's a trailhead just after the bridge at McKinley Village, on the west side of the highway well before the park entrance. There's been trail work done in the last couple of years, so it should be less muddy.

Going to Savage River along the park road (no restrictions to that point) and then hiking up the hills to the west (Primrose?) is another hike that gets you some elevation and views pretty quickly. Sometimes some critter viewing, too.

Default denali suggestions

There are so many great hikes to do in Denali. What I would suggest is go all the way out to Eileson, taking in the scenery on the way and scoping out possible hikes. Most of the area that you'd be hiking in is all above treeline, so your options are endless.

Stony dome is a great hike with 360 degree views of the park and great spot to view The High One. Once you are on top you could either come back down the same way you went up or continue hiking up to Green Dome, or hike down the east side to a river bed and hike back to the road.

Sable Pass just before the wildlife closure area has a trail that heads east to a great viewing of the Teklanika river and valley. About 3 miles round trip, but you could make it longer.

The Polychrome overlook has a good hike as well. Head up and away from the bus, then down into a ravine that will lead you around a few lakes and then eventually come out onto a river bed, which you'd head upstream back to the road. If you look at a map you are basically doing a long circle around some mountain.

Hiking the river beds is a great way to see the land and different footprints: caribou, wolf and bear. Hiking the mountains are great to view...well, everything, other mountains and rivers and wildlife. Have fun and good luck with the weather.

Horseshoe lake is an awesome short hike, very scenic. The Savage hike is pretty cool as well.

There is also another really good hike/bouldering/climb in Cantwell called Panorama Peak. Pano is on the right side of the highway right passed the Denali Hwy.
    I am pretty sure that there is no snow left on it, but if there is, you can easily glissade down a good portion of it just as long as you know how to self arrest correctly.
    http://www.mountainzone.com/mountain....asp?fid=73734
    Let us know what you end up doing.
    Take pictures!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by toofewweekends View Post
    The hike up Mount Healy is well worth the effort, especially on a clear day. Won't take 7-10 hours, though -- maybe half that or so.
    Here is another thread on Healy Peak/Mt Healy:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=healy+peak
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    There is also another really good hike/bouldering/climb in Cantwell called Panorama Peak. Pano is on the right side of the highway right passed the Denali Hwy.
    I am pretty sure that there is no snow left on it, but if there is, you can easily glissade down a good portion of it just as long as you know how to self arrest correctly.
    http://www.mountainzone.com/mountain....asp?fid=73734
    Let us know what you end up doing.
    Take pictures!
    I've also done this climb and its very fun! Definitely go up and down the face. The furthur west you go, the hairier it gets...just ask Alaska_Lanche!

Actually just did this mountain today. Left the truck at 8:30, reached the summit at 11:00 stayed at the top for a half hour and thought how ironic it was the it was June 22nd and it was snowing , and back to the truck in at 12:30 only 1 hour to get down. Roughly 3500 ft of elevation gain from bottom to top. A good hike nonetheless.

Here is a pic 500 ft below the summit of my hiking partner, he's done the tallest peak in every state as well as the tallest peak on each continent needless to say that me at 25 and he at 54 I was struggling to keep up with this mountian goat . And yes the south face is your friend, the west one I did on a decent one time and that was enough. PM me if you want more details on the route.

Awesome views from up there. Good shot of the float you did a couple days ago as well!! Looks cold...and sounds like its cold everywhere! From what I remember, it took us much more time when we did it with David. I guess rolling rocks and exploring take time!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Awesome views from up there. Good shot of the float you did a couple days ago as well!! Looks cold...and sounds like its cold everywhere! From what I remember, it took us much more time when we did it with David. I guess rolling rocks and exploring take time!
    We could blame it on the rolling rocks and what not, but in reality its mostly due to me being in MUCH better shape now then back then.

Yeah, I dont want to hike with you any time soon! This being a home-body has made me soft!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yeah, I dont want to hike with you any time soon!
    Yeah. I don't want to hike with Alaska_Lanche anytime soon either!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Yeah. I don't want to hike with Alaska_Lanche anytime soon either!
    Hey now, just cause work caused me to bail on the hike doesn't mean you gotta count me out for any hiking at all. If you guys still draw that tag I told ya about I'm still game to pack mule.