Thread: my 3 month old

Question my 3 month old

Lab is a raving maniac. I try to make sure that everything I do with him that involves fun for him is structured and involves commands and training. Including mealtime. Im having trouble with the fact that he is getting very strong now and feels the need to prove it regularly. He was really good till 2.5 months now He is totaly unruly. He knows the sit, nobite, bad dog/good dog commands. I reward for all good things. I have never given treats yet. Not even for training. I also do not tug a war and we still working on the drop command. He totally blocks me out when im giving him a command when outdoors. He is 100% house trained but when I take him to say my folks house for dinner he goes around inside the house tinkling trying mark his zone I think. He is also rough with my 8 yr old neices even though I showed them how to put him on the floor and hold him to show dominance hes getting to strong for them to do that. Im getting him fixed very soon. But not sure what else to do. He pretty much just loses his mind sometimes.
    I dont think he is agressive more like hyper. We have a big yard with two older labs and he gets plenty of excercise and truck rides etc.
    Should I resort to training with treats? Dont really want to. Or is this kinda like thedog version of terrible twos?
    I had my old dog for 15 years but im new to the puppy thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Patience

Wait till he gets his wings clipped. That might mellow him out. A good amount of exercise helps, and knowing any lab, they want to please and will do about anything for a treat.

Default lab

My lab is 2 months old, and looks almost identical to yours mag man. I guess the mother was pure bread lab and father was border collie. I have some of the same problems with aggetion towards kids he is just too rough. He is fine with me, but when he plays with kids he bites too hard. And he wont come to me outside if he knows he is in trouble. Is your dog swimming yet mine still wont get in the water.

dewey,

You have to remember that certain breeds were bred for a reason, What you are experiencing might be because he/she is a mix and characteristics of the "other" breed are coming out (biting and nipping is a herding breed characteristic). Sounds as though you need to go back to the basics. If you don't have control of your dog (leash, tether etc) then don't try to enforce the come command and never make your dog come to you when its due for punishment. Looks like he already has that figured out. Coming to you is always a positive thing, never negative.
    That is a huge mistake lots of people make. Your dog will then associate the word come with something bad and at 8 weeks old, should not be afraid of you.

Quote Originally Posted by dewey82 View Post
    My lab is 2 months old, and looks almost identical to yours mag man. I guess the mother was pure bread lab and father was border collie. I have some of the same problems with aggetion towards kids he is just too rough. He is fine with me, but when he plays with kids he bites too hard. And he wont come to me outside if he knows he is in trouble. Is your dog swimming yet mine still wont get in the water.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

yesterday was his first day to the beach. Hes not swimming yet but he likes the water. He smam once when a wake got lol but it didnt bother him he went right back out. He got cold quick though.