Thread: velly interestink

Talking velly interestink

I was going thru PO Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and found it interesting that in the fifties, there were aroung 20 Magnum 30 caliber cartridges that are every bit the equal or exceed what's popular today. Some of them are still going strong, and I'm sure others are the basis for the some of the trendy ones now. The more things change, the more they remain the same.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I think I've Ackley-ized just about everything and some of them are very useful and should have been made that way to begin with.

I guess we've always tinkered with cartridges case to improve ballistics. Some have voiced that Ackley was overloading or over estimating his velocities. I did many of his calibers with the Oehler 43 system and strain gauges and modern powders and I couldn't duplicate the performance from some calibers but exceeded it with other calibers in particular the 30-06 AI and the 450 Ackley magnum.

I don't really find his books useful as reloading manuals because of the differences in powders, even with the same numbers but I do find them interesting and historical.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think I've Ackley-ized just about everything and some of them are very useful and should have been made that way to begin with.

I guess we've always tinkered with cartridges case to improve ballistics. Some have voiced that Ackley was overloading or over estimating his velocities. I did many of his calibers with the Oehler 43 system and strain gauges and modern powders and I couldn't duplicate the performance from some calibers but exceeded it with other calibers in particular the 30-06 AI and the 450 Ackley magnum.

I don't really find his books useful as reloading manuals because of the differences in powders, even with the same numbers but I do find them interesting and historical.
    Right on, Murphy! The two volumes are a fun read, but the last place I'd go for loading data.

I've got a couple of rifles barreled by PO hisownself, along with the letters and loading data that came with them. Even when they were new and using contemporary powders, I couldn't stretch case life beyond one or two firings using his recommended loads. Scary, scary, scary stuff in that book!

Got the 2-vol set. Haven't cracked it open in quite some time.

I pondered a 30 Netwon for a while till if figured out 8x68 brass was a bit hard to come by . . .

Didn't Ackley say the 30-.338 was about optimum case capacity for .30 cal? Based on the common use of 4350? Something like 70 grains of powder capacity IIRC.

Talking yes...but

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think you're right about the reloading part, but before I change barrels to my AI 348, I want to research as much as possible, this book is just part of that, along with countless hours on the computer in every facet that I can find. There's not much readily available on the 348 AI, so one has to dig and then dig some. At least I've now got a place to start...where I'll end up is just pure speculation at this point, but chronographing will be a huge factor.

In my experience with AI's and the loading manual, you're right on the money with that insight and approach. Looking forward to your results!

Talking thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    In my experience with AI's and the loading manual, you're right on the money with that insight and approach. Looking forward to your results!
    I will post my experiences from the process...I just hope that the AI reaming was a quality job, and if it was, then things should work out. If I gain less backthrust, good accuracy with acceptable pressure, a smidge more speed, then I'll be happy. My smith's ready to jump on the swap job in a few days (barrel will be here Fri or Sat), so we're still going forward.