Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Foodsaver sucks!

Default My Foodsaver sucks!

Or actually it doesn't suck anymore and that's the problem. The explosion of reds on the Russian caused my Foodsaver to explode ... or close enough. Its not just not up to the task of processing multiple fish for an extended period of time (loses its vacuuming ability and just seals the bag with a bunch of air in it).

It's just one of Foodsavers you get at Wal-Mart, it's worked for a couple of years but I'm ready for an upgrade. Anyone have any recommendations for location/cost on higher-quality/volume Foodsaver type device that's available in Anchorage?

Thanks!!

I haven't searched recently, but there was a lot of discussion on this on past threads, so try searching.

In the meantime you can check out Alaska Butcher's Supply in Mountain View. Their sealers are top of the line....., expensive but great.

Default First

Unless it is a commercial version you are asking too much from it.

First, pat the fillets dry on both sides.

Then wrap the fillet in a commercial plastic film wrap.

Then, seal it with the vacuum sealer.

This way the food processor does not have to suck out the moisture and it takes much less time to process. You are also double sealing the fish.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

To quote: Willie Nelson, "Get one of the "KENO" Girls that can, Vacuum the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Get yourself a commercial version from Alaska Butcher Supplies. Find some friends to go in on it with you, it will last forever and save you a bunch of time.

Alaska Butcher Supply used to rent out sealers. Not sure if they still do.

I do the dry/plastic wrap/seal method as well. Works great and I have been on the same Food Saver for 7 years now. Usually get 5-10 years out of a unit before we have to get a new one.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Thumbs up Gotta take it easy with the vacuem sealers.

My little trick is to put a paper towel in front of the fillet before you seal. This absorbs and stops the juices from entering the packer. Have had my machine for 12 years and probably sealed 600 fish or so. Fish slime really does muck up the vacuem packers. Good luck

Default and so does mine

I've went through 3 of them in 5 years & have done all the little tricks to make them last

Default sealer

The best is obviously the commercial sealers that Alaska Butchers Supply sells. If you can't afford one, they also carry a "cheap" one that is definately better than the "Foodsaver" that walmart carrys.

I pre-freeze all my fish just long enough so there is no liquid water to suck through the vacumn.

I really wanted to say that it is supposed to suck, but you took all the fun out of it.

Default Try it...

A trick I have been doing for a couple of years now, put your fillets on a cookie sheet in the freezer for about an hour, don't freeze them solid, just enough to be "dry" to the touch. Then seal em' up. Works VERY well and you save money on saran wrap, paper towels and all that BS. Seems to keep the meat fresh for longer too. Oh and when you seal the fillets, put them in the bags two layers thick and skin side out so the pin bones don't poke through your bags and break the seal. Try it your crappy sealer will love you for it, mine does.

Thanks for all the tips ... they way I've been processing is (1) pre-freezing the fillets on a cookie sheet for a few hours, and (2) saran wrapping prior to foodsaving. But even then, the Foodsaver only has enough guts to get through about two fish before it overheats or otherwise doesn't get all the air out of the bags.

I think I'll check out what AK Butcher's Supply has at their shop.

Thanks again!

The small commercial vacumm sealer from Butcher Supply is servicable. It your sealer goes bad, or your vacumm pump looses vacumm, just bring it in and they will fix it for a small fee. Took mine in for a heat seal last fall and they fixed it while I waited. Great service and prices.

So every year I put fish away through my foodsaver by now theres ice crystals on the meat. My buddy dips his in fresh water and freezes them in a regular baggie and there no frost and the meat is red and fresh 8 months later encased in ice. How many of you have ice crystals on your last seasons salmon?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default my advice is

once you successfully vacuum seal your fish and place them in the freezer, minimize the amount of times you move the packages inside the freezer. one little pinhole in your fish package will break the seal and cause the fish to build up ice crystals and quickly freezer burn. this sounds like common sense, but i believe this happens more often than most folks realize.

cheers

One of the advantages of the commercial chamber sealers is that they use bags that are tougher and less expensive than the food saver bags.

I just bagged up a hundred lbs of filets last night. My Mini Pack working flawlessly, fast and efficiently. Alaska Butcher Supply in ANC has them and yes, they do rent them. I don't know how much they charge. Ask them to apply your rent for the "trial run" to the purchase price.

You's guys are better than I. I have to get a new one every 2 years. I do the dry then seal, no plastic wrap. When I'm sealing 18 Silver fillets in September, I have to give the poor thing a 20 min break every once in a while...it seems to over heat

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I just bagged up a hundred lbs of filets last night. My Mini Pack working flawlessly, fast and efficiently. Alaska Butcher Supply in ANC has them and yes, they do rent them. I don't know how much they charge. Ask them to apply your rent for the "trial run" to the purchase price.
    I've had mine going on three years now and it is one of the best equipment investments I've ever made.

I've had the Best-Vac from Doug's care for over 5 years now and I process a ton of fish with it throughout the year. It's not quite at the commercial level or cost of a professional chamber sealer, but for a home desktop unit, it's very very good.

I don't know anyone who has had one of these units who has not been happy with it, or the company that's selling them.

Never met a Foodsaver that's been worth it's salt. They are all crap.

The Best-Vac has been discontinued/replaced by the Food Vac. I'd probably take it up a notch and take a hard look at the Fast Vac.

You can always go hog wild and get the MVS-31.

http://www.dougcare.com/foodstorage/homeequip.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast