Thread: Grumman 19' Freighter lift design

Default Grumman 19' Freighter lift design

I have a Grumman 19' freighter with a lift. It works OK but only up to medium speeds, then the water starts to spill over the back of the transom. I thought that it might be because I did not have a load up front. I tried it with a load up front, but the water coming over the transom was still a problem. I also had Doel fins on the anti-cav plates of the 15hp. I just removed them to try one more time, although I don't believe they were the problem, as it worked on the old set-up with them on.

I am not going to go the route of putting a rubber skirt between the lift and the boat. The reason is that 20 or so years ago I had the same model of boat, with a lift (that I wish I had taken a picture of) and the same motor, a SS Johnson 15hp 2 stroke. The boat was pretty beat up and loose but did not leak. I should not have sold it. I still get asked if I have the lift for it for sale. The lift design, I am finding out, may be worth more than an old beat up boat

Also, I trailer the freighter with out the lift on as I end up strapping it down in several locations to prevent the road rattle.

My original set up worked fine. Got very little, to no water in from the back end running with little to big loads, so I know it can be done.

It looks like I need to re-do my lift to match what worked before.
    I am thinking that the lift re-design needs to allow the motor to sit lower in the water and maybe have the motor sit back, away from the transom, or a combination thereof.

I live in Fairbanks, so if there is anyone in the area that that has a lift set up for a 19' Grumman square stern that they are happy with, and works with out the rubber skirt set-up, please let me know.

Default lift

Member "frozen" might, and he's in your neck of the woods.

Default skirt

We use a "skirt" that does not physically connect to the canoe. It is bolted to the bottom of the motor mount on the lift and just freely drops down just behind the transome of the canoe when the lift is down. When the lift is up, it blocks the gap between the lift and transome. It basically is a piece of stiff fabric that is something like 18" x 18", give or take. The trim of the engine can have some impact on how much water comes in as well.

One of the biggest maker of lifts for what you are looking for is in Fairbanks. Check out the other threads for the discussion on lifts and you will find him in there.

Good luck.

Default Lift position

# 1 if you have a 2x4 mounted on the transom laying on the flat side extending a little over the backend of the transom [ 1/2 to 3/4 inch] an seal all around the board will cut it down a lot but it will require you to move the lift back about 3/4 of a inch this will bring the lift up about 1 & 1/2 inch

# 2 you can but a pice of plywood over the back end an seal it this will but the rear seat up about 4 inches higher an then sit on the ply wood, if you do that make sure that you fill that spot on the back end of the seat so nothing will fall down there, don't drill use light alu. an glue it in place [I hate to drill holes in my canoe]

slow poke I am now in the same boat...pun intended. I've the same freighter with a 15 Evinrude an now without a lift. The lift was sq.tube with four hinged points on the sides. Always had water plow on in when I was about 3/4 speed or more. I can weld abit or I think I can .... have gotten away with it thus far if plans are available I could do it or if costs are reasonable then that is the way to go too.

Someone in Fbks.? Name.Ph# etc.

regards,

Default Lift maker

Check out this thread for good info on lifts (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lift+fairbanks)

Default Thanks for the information...

I will try and contact frozen and ask him if he is interested in modifying my lift to his design.
    Now I know why they can't build the pyramids again, lost knowledge.