Thread: 357 maximum

Default 357 maximum

Did the Blackhawk 357 Max really eat top straps? If so why then does the 460 S+W get by without doing the same thing in the X frame?

I never had one, but heard that they would cut the top strap to a small degree, and then the cutting would stop. I believe the cutting was powder dependent, and that some of the heavier bullet loads showed no top strap cutting.

I would think that S&W would have chosen a frame allow that could stand up to high pressure gas erosion.

Answer first question: YES

All high velocity revolvers have some tendency to eat top straps. S&W 460s have also with some rounds, but the .003 max cylinder gap is intended to reduce top strap cutting. S&W addresses the problem in the paperwork that comes with the guns saying that owners need to keep on the lookout for it and return it to them ASAP if any cutting is found.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Wasn't it the Ruger Blackhawk that had the biggest problem with the 357 max

I bought one when they first came out. I put about 1000 rounds through it over a couple of years. There was some cutting but it was not severe. However, Ruger did discontinue them for this reason so there certainly was something to this. I also owned a Dan Wesson in the same caliber. It did not display the problem at all with about the same number of rounds.