Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting at SHEEP HUNTERS.....is it O.K. ??????

Default Shooting at SHEEP HUNTERS.....is it O.K. ??????

Binoculars are for glassing & spotting.
    Spotting scope is for judging, evaluating, observing, and can be used for spotting.

Using your high power rifle scope as a way to avoid either of the above can get you shot at. Or maybe killed.

Yep, I have shot at sheep hunters, (no not to hit them). If someone is in a seated position, wrapped up in the sling, elbows on his knees, looking through his variable hi-powered rifle scope, mounted on a magnum rifle, and it is pointed right at me.

Remember that firearms safety rule, yea the one about don't point the firearm at something, unless you plan to shoot. Well the guy your aiming at knows the same rule.

Your rifle scope is NOT a substitute of BINOCULARS. The life you save may be yourown........

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Binoculars are for glassing & spotting.
    Spotting scope is for judging, evaluating, observing, and can be used for spotting.

Using your high power rifle scope as a way to avoid either of the above can get you shot at. Or maybe killed.

Yep, I have shot at sheep hunters, (no not to hit them). If someone is in a seated position, wrapped up in the sling, elbows on his knees, looking through his variable hi-powered rifle scope, mounted on a magnum rifle, and it is pointed right at me.

Remember that firearms safety rule, yea the one about don't point the firearm at something, unless you plan to shoot. Well the guy your aiming at knows the same rule.

Your rifle scope is NOT a substitute of BINOCULARS. The life you save may be yourown........

Before I read your post I was going to say only if they're in season.

Default Small Price

Buying binoculars is a small addition to the cost of most any hunt - especially since they can't kill anyone. I can think of NO excuse for glassing with a rifle scope - including a savings on weight.

Angry ignorance at it's best

This is a pretty thorny subject to me. I've, on several occassions(the one's that I know of), had someone pointing a gun at me, presuming that they're "just" looking. It's pretty unnerving while dressing out an animal to see someone on a rim above, then look at them with binocs and see that they're looking at you thru their rifle scopes. Knowing that your life is just a slip of the finger away. And I've been shot at 6 different times...no hits except me hitting the ground for cover. Maybe they were lousy shots or just "funnin". but whatever, it's all a pretty serious and potentially deadly game. In another instance, a good friend had seen a hunter on an opposite ridge looking at him thru his scope, and not much later, my friend was leading a paint horse loaded with pack bags with elk inside, off the mountain, and was shot thru both knees. Same guy? Probably.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Let me get this straight. You pointed a rifle at a person who was also pointing one at you(assumably to glass you) and YOU actually pulled the trigger?

Did any of them fire back?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Gonna say nope, not OK

as a general practice....

however, this situation is outside my deffinition of general practice, so I guess we'll see what happens when some moron pulls this crap on me.

AND because I'm a sheep hunter. But I make use of those other optics that are heavy and cumbersome, so I guess you & I are all good.

I'll volunteer for spotter duties anytime, Hope. Prefer trigger puller, but not gonna be greedy.

wow i cant beleve that anyone on here would shoot at a fellow hunter. even if he is looking throw his rifle scope at you that does not give you the right to shoot at them. glad i hunt were there are not people

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Let me get this straight. You pointed a rifle at a person who was also pointing one at you(assumably to glass you) and YOU actually pulled the trigger?

Did any of them fire back?
    x2...I'm kinda lost (not on the whole concept of what you are saying, just how its worded)

Default It's not ok...

to shoot at another hunter. Moron's are different. Or atleast they should be.

Only moron's I have run into in 12 years up here have been on the haul road or in an airplane buzzing my chosen drainage. Haven't shot (at) anyone YET. Thought about it long and hard a few times though.

Unhappy a pet peeve...

I have had one scoped rifle, "that I know of", pointed at me. I have observed 4 other idiots pointing their scoped rifles at some one else as they were "glassing". I reminded each one of them that they had just pointed their rifle at another person. The responses were mixed. Now in my opinion, under certain circumstances, the person doing this should be referred to the authorities and they should receive an Assault 4 Charge. I have never heard of this happening, in a hunting situation. I have read on this forum where sheep hunters debated the best type of optics for a sheep hunt. It was even sugested that a spotting scope and the rifles scope were all that was needed, meaning the rifles scope would replace binoculars, what the heck! Legally, we would probably get in trouble in a criminal or civil court if we decided to teach these negligent idiots a lesson. I do agree it is tempting to give them more then a piece of your mind, but is it worth the risk? Probably not. There is a big difference between an idiot pointing a gun at you and being shot at. How in the heck do you ever teach someone that a rifles scope is a sighting instrument? Should we have a law that any one carrying a scoped rifle has to have a pair of binoculars around their neck that is more powerful then their rifles scope? I would be ok with that.

You have your "Whites" on, and closing a easy 100 yards in a ravine, that will put you on a spot for a easy shot on a awesome ram, someone you don't know is watching you through his rifle scope. You wave him off, but he just keeps watching. He is 750 yards below the ram, he is on the valley floor on the other side of Peters creek he does not see the ram, he is watching you.
    Then the ram stands & comes into his view, he looks at the ram, he looks back at you through the scoped magnum. You wave, he takes off running up the valley. He is now 685 yards below the sheep. You see he has the duplex cross-hairs on you. You move forward for the shooting spot. Your are now above the ram at the rams 2:00 o'clock.
    The ram is now standing & watching the guy in the valley. You are 75 yards from the ram. The guy is frantically pointing the rifle at you, then the ram, then you. You see rocks and tundra explode 30 feet in front of you, you duck, cover your head, your heart is racing, seconds later you hear the report of his rifle. The ram is gone, he is just crossing Peters Creek, as it flows past Bellicose Mt., he is in the creek, the wind is steady up the valley 20 MPH, you estimate he is 6 feet tall, you hold 4 times his height 24 feet down wind of him, you don't want to hit him. you debate with yourself, as you slide the 3-position wing safety two stages forward.

Three months later at the Boondocks Sporting Goods Christmas party, you hear someone tell a story, You smile, sip your beer, and you notice he is only 5'-7" not 6 foot. You smile inside. you just barely hear him say the S.O.B shot at me five shots. But, you know it was only three shots, however the last shot was closer than you expected, as the wind had slowed to 8 MPH.

Default Story

Wow Great story!!!!....Is this true? This could be in the "Outdoor Lifes, This happened to Me "

Okay if it was me, I probably would have shot back, right at his knee caps.

Now if I heard him brag about it, at a party...I'd have to woop his @ss.

So it sounds like a bad situation made worse by retaliation.....

Thats why they call it the SECOND AMENDMENT, and the "Right To Bear Arms".

Believe me, I wouldn't kill anyone, but if my life was threatened where someone was shooting at me intentionally, knee caps or the ankles and we'll talk about it in court if have to.

If I knew beyond a doubt someone was shooting at me, I would do my best to end the fight period. Hopeak’s situation sounds pretty hairy. I would have to have been there to make a call, but if I felt my life was truly in danger, I would not be playing dodge ball. Hopeak, you are braver than I for the wave-offs and the warning shots. That has a serious pucker facture.

I have only been in one similar situation and it was inside 100yds on the flats. An idiot blazing away with an SKS. The sound of rounds poping overhead, pieces of cottonwood showering us as we hugged the ground. My dad was caught in the open but I had managed to dive backwards behind a stump. I quickly racked a round in my marlin 22 and took a bead on the mans face. He was shooting police style between the door and a pillar of his truck, his face was expressionless. My eye shifts from the scope to my dad, he is trying to scoot across the ground to join me behind the stump, my 20 guage savage in his hand and rounds whipping just a few feet over him. Despite him being in more danger than I, it is obvious that he is more worried about me. He racks a round in the chamber and then lets a blast into the air, followed by two more. the guys relentless firing continues. How many rounds could possibly be in that rifle? I remember thinking. A moment of clarity came over me as the realization that my father may be killed at any moment. I slip the safety off, take a deep breath, then let half of it out till I meet the natural pause, my cross hairs settle smoothly on the mans expressionless face. My finger tightens taking up the slack in the trigger... At that last possible moment a truck breaks around the corner of the trail and the man looks as though he is broken from a trance as he reels around to face this new interuption. My finger relaxes on the trigger. The man looks around for a moment then puts his weapon into the cab of his truck. My dad and I waste no time and take off at a dead run for our own vehicle and evacuate the area.

I believe I was 12 when this all took place and it is the single closest I have ever come to taking a mans life. I still have no idea what was going on in his head. I don't know if he realized how close he both came to killing someone and being killed. I am still spooked out a bit at how calm I was at the moment of truth. I have no doubt that I was about to kill him and it was just matter of fact, like shooting paper. That is a side of ones self that they should never have to see.

Not sure what I'd do if I was 'Hopeak' - I do know I've been harassed by non-hunters in the past in both Michigan and Maine. I took a plate number and description, and then reported it to the police as there are laws in those states that prohibit hunter harassment.

Obviously we live in Alaska and talking about something different. I have not seen this before, but have heard about it more than you might expect from friends and acquaintances. IMO the practice is wrong, and is worthy of criminal charges (problem is it would be one word against the other and hard to find the other party let alone 'prove' what happened).

Long story short, binoculars are not that heavy and are standard equipment so per Dr. Laura "do the right thing". Unless your the former Vice President your looking at trouble if you find yourself in an accident while hunting - especially if your 'mistake' was 100 yards or more away (bullets are unpredictable once they hit the ground and tend to ricochet).

If someone is pointing a high power rifle, or any firearm at me, I am in fear for my life. Firing at them in response may be the appropriate action. If it goes to court, reasonable fear of one's life is adequate defense. Just hope that the jury finds your fear reasonable. I would acquit.

Last year off the steese me and the wife were out looking for caribou spotted a few went down after them the fog rolled in missed are chance. Heading back to our lookout point caribou were skylined above maybe 75yds next thing u know we hear rounds flying at the caribou could hear thing zingin over our head as we hit the ground. I fired off a round from my 300 then i hear a few more and finally the guy hit the caribou after pobably 5-6 shots. Was pretty crazy hearin those bullets flyin over head. Thats why u should never shoot at a skylined animal never know whats on the other side.

Default Hmm

After reading the posts, it makes you wonder about the need for some sort of IQ test that should be mandatory for people purchasing firearms.
    Ok, we have our right to be arms, but only if your not stupid?
    I mean, there are definately people who should NOT be allowed to own firearms. Period.
    Lujons story had me just spooked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast