Thread: Coho Cove, Kasilof

Default Coho Cove, Kasilof

Got to Coho Cove campground Friday evening, got settled and went down to the cleaning station. Saw a nice king, about 20 lbs getting cleaned. The guy said it was a slow day on the river.
    Went down the river walking towards the bend and a guy said he fought a wild king for about 30 minutes. He guessed it weighed 40lbs, as did the 2 women who said they watched him fight it.
    We cast a few lines that evening with nothing showing and nothing seen caught from the boats.
    Up at 4:45'ish and down to the water by the cleaning station, had 3 small bites, 2 on kwikfish and 1 on spin n glow with eggs.
    Saw about 4 pulled in in the passing boats from where I could see.
    I asked some fo the passing boats if they had any luck with most saying they had only 1 or none.
    Left the bank for brekkie aroung 9'ish and the ADF&G asked for my info...NONE, but a few bites and she told me only 60 fish were counted from the boats on Friday.
    After brekkie, went back down to the bank with a couple beers till about 1'sh with no bites and none seen pulled in from the boats.
    Left for a nap hit the water about 7 Sat evening around the bend and got 1 bite by the big boulder. Seen a few splashes and asking some of the passing boats most said they had no fish
    NO fish this weekend but we had a great time. Kids and dogs loved it. My wife who's said she hated fishing even wet a line and said said she liked just being outdoors. She said she wanted to come back next weekend, so who am I to argue?

I floated the river Sunday with Murray Fenton. 3 rods out and we landed 7 kings, 1 red and 1 steelhead. It was pretty slow for this time of year but were able to do OK. Had another 4 or 5 drive by's that never took the hook, or we got excited and pulled it away from.
    All fish were caught on eggs, either backtrolled or bounced.
    Last fish of the day was down at grassy bank and had a real fresh bite on it's back. She made it past theseal only to get hooked and tossed in the fishbox.

Sorry I missed you Chuck, I was camped there Sat night too. I wandered around a little bit but didn't see any familiar faces.

Default Murray is a machine down there....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Builder View Post
    I floated the river Sunday with Murray Fenton. 3 rods out and we landed 7 kings, 1 red and 1 steelhead. It was pretty slow for this time of year but were able to do OK. Had another 4 or 5 drive by's that never took the hook, or we got excited and pulled it away from.
    All fish were caught on eggs, either backtrolled or bounced.
    Last fish of the day was down at grassy bank and had a real fresh bite on it's back. She made it past theseal only to get hooked and tossed in the fishbox.

Sorry I missed you Chuck, I was camped there Sat night too. I wandered around a little bit but didn't see any familiar faces.
    Murray and Mike are amazing fisherman... Next time u fish w/ Murray ask him why I call them "Showgirls guide service."

Default Going back...

on Friday evening. My wife is the one that wanted to go back so we may try the grassy bank.
    I'd love to be able to float the Kasilof but we have the outlaws coming in early next month and are floating the Kenai.
    If I knew what the heck I was doing I'd rent a drift boat from the base. But I'd probably be hitting the shore, getting in peoples way, hitting other boats, getting liquored up, getting into a fight, dumping the boat, get arrested and spend a night in jail. All because I didn't know how to do a drift boat. So bank fishing it is for us. For now.

Ty you're right about that. I've been fishing with them for many years and have alway's been happy.

I'm sure I've heard the story your talking about, which one earned that nickname?