Thread: studded felt sole wading boots?

Default studded felt sole wading boots?

I recently purchased a pair of studded felt soled wadding boots and got a really good deal on them. After wearing them a few times I don't think that I like the studs (espically when walking in my drift boat). Does anyboy know of a way to remove the studs or will a shoe repair shop resole the boots with a felt or maybe rubber sole?

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Scott View Post
    I recently purchased a pair of studded felt soled wadding boots and got a really good deal on them. After wearing them a few times I don't think that I like the studs (espically when walking in my drift boat). Does anyboy know of a way to remove the studs or will a shoe repair shop resole the boots with a felt or maybe rubber sole?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Built in studs on most boots are not glued in; instead, they have a flat portion, about hte size of a nickel, which rests between the felt and the rubber. So you can probably remove them by ripping them out, or possibly making a small cross-shaped cut in the felt and then prying them out with a screwdriver.

A shoe repair shop could probably remove the studs a similar way for whatever labor cost there is. ten bucks or so is my guess. They have all sorts of tools.

Yup. Made the same mistake! First time walking down the stairs at the Grayling parking lot, I slipped on a step, broke my new 8 wt and buried the fly hook into my thumb! After that I tried standing on the platform in Chuck's cat and felt like I was standing on marbles!

I'm just going to grind the studs off past the felt. That'll be my first and last pair of studded wading boots!

They should just pull out with pliers.

Yup. Made the same mistake!
    Me too.

I'm just going to get a pair of lug sole canvas boots to replace them. I haven't checked yet, but I imagine the studs screw in and out.
    Now what ?