Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to cut 7 pounds weight from you & partners sheep gear.

Default How to cut 7 pounds weight from you & partners sheep gear.

Why take two rifles, if modern day hunters are so obsessed about the weight of the scope rings, why not take one rifle for two hunters.....

No stoves,lanterns and clothing except for extra socks. One small tent or leanto and something to sleep in,no extra pads.

Default Struggling.

This is an idea that I'm struggling with. I like it. But then it removes the option to check out another ridge while your partner "Checks out" another. The thought of missing a sure shot because I didn't have the rifle crushes me. I've heard of this happening. Except the situation was that the guy just went to get water and didn't have his rifle and busted legal sheep. Not sure I can handle that.

Because if something should happen to that 1 rifle, you are both done hunting and that's not worth the risk IMO.

Lightbulb here u go...:)

Get a remington xp-100, a good knife, lite wt bino's ,what u wear in, hat ,gloves ,rain (top & bottem), coat liner, small tarp, box camra ,and A power bar. the whole thing to inclued what your wearing < 25 lb's. old say'in ... Hungry Hunter Hunts Best!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Red face no rifle

Well you would have to stay together at all times and I mean ALL times. On one hunt in the western wrangells we had 5 or 6 different grizzlys walk up on our camp so evidently we were on a popular bear highway. They would just appear suddenly over the hill near the tent and you wouldnt want to be at the lake getting water or washing up when the guy at the tent had the gun or vice versa........and you would miss your chance to bag a nice trophy. Plus, something about going hunting without your rifle is just plain wrong....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Frank Cook, Jay Muller, Moosemeat Moore and many others hunted with one rifle for two men. I would rarely carry a rifle when guiding sheep hunters. Just saying it worked then..........Another thing you might find interesting is they never carried the rifle in their hands, it was always in the pack. they only got it out to harvest a sheep.

The main reason is because the partner would want to take his rifle. If the partner wanted to take your rifle it would be a workable idea.Short time frame hunts have changed hunting. Folks used to build a camp and stayed a couple of weeks.Now folks bring a camp and stay three days.

Default Must take two rifles

If for what ever reason I need to cut weight between two hunters, it will not be the rifles or a sleeping bag (2 most important). For many reasons, I like shooting my own rifle, and if for some reason you have to seperate even for a few hundred yards you should have your own rifle. I hunted with my my kid and he took his own rifle. I always say: this is my rifle, there is no other like it.....I will let someone use my 44 revolver, but my hunting rifle is special.

Default easy....

Just ration the beer...

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default have a heart

If my partner and I had taken 1 rifle on our float trip this last year we'd have been rifleless for 10 days. The pilot was too busy to drop another.
    Another option would be to remove your buddies heart. It weighs about 7 lbs.

Default Update Gear!

I definitely don't think it is worth the risk of having 1 rifle between 2 hunters. I am in the process of updating all my gear and have easily shed over 10 pounds off my original. Just buying a lighter rifle has dropped close to 2 lbs!

Default one gun

Lots of sheep hunters, including at least one on this forum, have gone sheeping hunting with only one gun. I know of one instance where two hunting partners dropped two sheep with one gun within about three seconds. And last year, my sheep hunter client did not even bring a gun with him. He used my gun. Strange, but true.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Might take a rifle + encore handgun this year. Both in 30-06. That's kinda like 1.5 rifles...

Default One rifle for two sheep hunters

I've done it when my hunting was secondary to my partner's success. It's a significant weight savings, but not one I'm willing to risk under most circumstances. As mentioned, that second gun is valuable insurance for any number of circumstances: gun failure, scope failure, hunting different areas, packing meat, or getting separated for other reasons.

How 'bout castor oil? Works every time.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

From what I'm reading here I would guess sheep hunters don't carry a handgun on sheep hunts?

Default no handgun here...

Not even on bow hunts. Mainly cuz I don't have one.

Some say it's dumb, especially due to 90% solo hunts.

Rifle stays in my hand where it belongs (my opinion) and so does the bow.

Kinda like Mathew Quigley said... never had much use for them.......never said I couldn't use one

FWIW - even when I'm dedicated pack mule, there's a rifle (or a 12 gauge w/slugs) in my hand. I'll deal with that extra weight. My 8lb ish Mod 70 Sporter makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

Interesting that in one thread, "Hell No" I gott'a have my own gun. In another thread it's, "I just can't decide these scope bases weigh 1.9 ounces or these bases weigh 2.1 ounces. and every 1/4 ounce adds up".

No wonder sheep hunters are crazy. they risk their life, suffer gagging and puking up the mountain, endure 28 degrees, cold, wet, snowing or 90 degrees cooking in the Brooks Range Sun. Blistered feet, sleeping on 24 degree slope, sleeping bag roped to the mountain. yes, only a crazy sheep hunter would worry over ounces, and blow off pounds. Sheep hunter fever.....

Default ounces...

Not scrimping on the hardware, but I might cut a toofbrush in 1/2.

Probably won't admit to it though....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast