Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the huge Objectives?

Default Why the huge Objectives?

I am trying to figure out why people are carrying around these HUGE objective scopes? What are you hunting with a 56mm objective? Sattellites? Space Stations?
    I carry a 40mm on my moose gun for the light gathering in the woods at dusk and that is it. I am leaning toward 32mm for all of my other hunting and can't see a reason to go larger.

Can someone enlighten me as to why you need an intercontenintal target aquisition system mounted to the top of your shooting stick?

I don't have an answer, but am wondering how much more shooting light those extra 16 mm's bring someone.
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

They aren't worth the trouble of having to lift your cheek off of the stock to see through the scope. JMHO

Unless set at a low power they will gather more light than the eye can use but heck thats what the T.V. guy has and the gun rags gush about so it must be good

Same reason everyone has to run out and buy the new bow or magnum rifle...too much T.V. (internet) and not enough time in the woods
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am trying to figure out why people are carrying around these HUGE objective scopes? What are you hunting with a 56mm objective? Sattellites? Space Stations?
    I carry a 40mm on my moose gun for the light gathering in the woods at dusk and that is it. I am leaning toward 32mm for all of my other hunting and can't see a reason to go larger.

Can someone enlighten me as to why you need an intercontenintal target aquisition system mounted to the top of your shooting stick?

Because if you can find it in 10-30 power it doubles as a spotting scope! Seems like extra weight and distance the scope sits off the barrel for no reason to me. If you want more light buy better glass. If you already have better glass quit whining and go hunt!

Brett

Default 4x12x56

I will speak from experience on this one. Living in Europe for several years and going through the ropes and hoops to be able to hunt over their.. I soon after purchased a rifle and scope.. I picked up a Merkel KR-1 and a scope 4x12x56mm.. also during all the hunting classes.. it was emphasized and even a test question as to what is the optimum scope.. the answer 3x9x56mm.. Hmmm, I thought.. thats a big scope.. I had several scopes with most being 3x9x40 and tried them out... Most of the hunting in europe is done late.. I mean late in the evening.. deer are legally hunted until an hour and a half past sunset.. and pigs 24/7/365 days a year... with most pigs not even moving until right at dark or dark.. Game is hunted on 3/4 to full moon evenings/nights, etc... When a deer walk out of the woods to a greenfield at 8 pm, and your using a 40mm obj, you wont see it.. or if you do its a black blob.. using a 56mm, its pretty darn clear.. add some snow and a full moon, you can see their junk hanging down or even the tusks on some... I haven't used it over here but I can assure you the light gathering capabilities between a 40mm and a 56mm is like a saturn and a corvette.. no comparison.

I have no doubt that of scopes of equal quality that the larger objective does increase apparent brightness and improves resolution, but the question is at what cost. While you can see much clearer, much later with a 8X56 than a 3-9X40, in most of the United States 30 minutes after sunset ends the evenings hunt. A good quality scope will allow such shots without having to use large objectives. I have made shots at the cusp of legal shooting hours with a 3X20, 1.75-6X32, & 3-9X33 while never desiring a brighter or better sight picture.

Market share is the dominant factor in design and advertising here in the U.S. with function a distant second IMO. I'll trade the ability to shoot after legal hunting hours (read big objectives) with portability, lightweight, lower mounting/lower center of gravity and to my eye better aesthetics (read normal objective size) every time.

Default 3x12x56 Kahles

Just what Hoytguy said, Light gathering and power especially during the later hours. I hunted Africa with a 3x12x56 Kahles scope atop my .300 win mag for plains game and the 30mm scope gathered great light when the animals would come out at dusk. I would not use this scope in the mountains here in Alaska due to the thermals, and after talking to a well known Alaska guide out in the Brooks range, I ask him why do most guides prefer to use the Leupold 45 power spotter rather than the Swaros 60 or 80 power...Now I know why by seeing how worse the distortion was, it works the same for rifle scopes too.

Default Not used

The rifle that's blued and has a walnut stock and topped with the big old scope, will probably never be used.. I got what was common over their a couple years ago at the time.. Alaska weather would destroy that rifles finish and probably the scope too..I will stick to my leupold 3x9x40's and my bow..

Once again a forum member, a mod to boot, has found a way to compare his hunting style and equipment to others and find himself the "better" hunter.
    Kudo's Lu!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Large objective doesn't necessarily mean Higher power. Some people seem confused by this. Most scopes being manufactered now, even at 40 mm objectives have more magnification than the old school 3-9.
    So.. really I think your question needs reworking.. because in my mind, the more magnification, the larger the objective. The real question is, why does anyone need to hunt with a scope that goes past 9x or 10x (varmint hunting aside..)
    That said; I really really enjoy the new 50 mm leupolds. 56 is a bit much. But 50 is just right. Darkness doesn't just mean nighttime people . fog, rain, clouds, trees, cliffs, etc. all create darkness which turns brighter with larger objective scopes. I really enjoy the extra brightness at lower powers as well as the larger field of view. All of this I have found beneficial in SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton74 View Post
    I don't have an answer, but am wondering how much more shooting light those extra 16 mm's bring someone.
    from 40mm to 50mm is an extra 55% light transmission. Which is very noticable.
    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Once again a forum member, a mod to boot, has found a way to compare his hunting style and equipment to others and find himself the "better" hunter.
    Kudo's Lu!
    ummm , because someone prefers a larger objective riflescope makes them an inferior hunter??
    ...riiiiight...

I guess my point is.. that if I was in the market for a rifle scope..
    and lets say my choices are a 1.5-6x32 or a 3.5-10x50.. I do almost all of my hunting on the 3-5 power ranges, and I, myself prefer the larger fov and more light. Im going for the 3.5-10x50 even for lower power hunting, and at higher powers its a no brainer in my opinion.

For some it will always be the "big" scope, "little" scope thing. You should have seen the look when I bought a 2x7x32mm VX2. The guy at Cabelas selling it was just as bad. What would you put on a 375 H&H? I said. "Something bigger!" he said.

Ron

I also hunted pigs and deer in Europe and Hoytguy is exactly right. There is definitely a time and a place for a large objective scope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I will speak from experience on this one. Living in Europe for several years and going through the ropes and hoops to be able to hunt over their.. I soon after purchased a rifle and scope.. I picked up a Merkel KR-1 and a scope 4x12x56mm.. also during all the hunting classes.. it was emphasized and even a test question as to what is the optimum scope.. the answer 3x9x56mm.. Hmmm, I thought.. thats a big scope.. I had several scopes with most being 3x9x40 and tried them out... Most of the hunting in europe is done late.. I mean late in the evening.. deer are legally hunted until an hour and a half past sunset.. and pigs 24/7/365 days a year... with most pigs not even moving until right at dark or dark.. Game is hunted on 3/4 to full moon evenings/nights, etc... When a deer walk out of the woods to a greenfield at 8 pm, and your using a 40mm obj, you wont see it.. or if you do its a black blob.. using a 56mm, its pretty darn clear.. add some snow and a full moon, you can see their junk hanging down or even the tusks on some... I haven't used it over here but I can assure you the light gathering capabilities between a 40mm and a 56mm is like a saturn and a corvette.. no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Kudo's Lu!
    I see not where I claimed to be a better hunter, I did however ask for "enlightenment" Should I feign surprise that you are not contributing to that end?

I see not where I claimed to be a better hunter, I did however ask for "enlightenment" Should I feign surprise that you are not contributing to that end?
    Your asking for "enlightenment" but you dont want to go with a bigger objective... don't really quite know how to help you there Lu

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Your asking for "enlightenment" but you dont want to go with a bigger objective... don't really quite know how to help you there Lu
    At least someone caught that... And yes that is the face I was making as I typed it

At least someone caught that... And yes that is the face I was making as I typed it
    On a more serious note, seeing as how the highest powered hunting scope I own is a 3-9, what do you guys make of the optics manufacturers claims that the larger objectives give you a more adequate field of view in a higher powered glass? Do you think it's worthwhile? Or is field of view already adequate in most of these higher powered optics?

I already know I'd like the best low light performance I can justify, regardless of the posted legal hunting times, as I have been stalked by a grizzly when packing meat after sundown... I certainly wished my trusty leupold was brighter that evening....

Although it was not stated, the tone and slight sarcasm seemed smug to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    On a more serious note, seeing as how the highest powered hunting scope I own is a 3-9, what do you guys make of the optics manufacturers claims that the larger objectives give you a more adequate field of view in a higher powered glass? Do you think it's worthwhile? Or is field of view already adequate in most of these higher powered optics?

I already know I'd like the best low light performance I can justify, regardless of the posted legal hunting times, as I have been stalked by a grizzly when packing meat after sundown... I certainly wished my trusty leupold was brighter that evening....

think of it like this.
    your fov with your 40 mm 3-9 is X feet at 1000yards at 9 power
    Well for the fov to be the same (x) at 1000 yards at say 14 power; you need a bigger objective.

its really up to you to determine what "adequate" fov is for you. I, myself, prefer the larger/largest fov I can get. It helps me shoot with both eyes open and I just generally prefer it. Some people are happy with the fov with 40 mm objectives at 14, 15, 16 power.

Admittedly a bigger problem with larger objective scopes is increased parallax. But this is really only an issue above 9 power, which I rarely achieve while hunting.
    My dream scope would be a 1.5x6x42. Anybody know who makes one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast