Thread: Eklutna Lake Fishing

Default Eklutna Lake Fishing

Does anyone know if there is much for fish at Eklutna Lake?

Wife wants to camp there and I was thinking about taking the raft to do some fishing if there is anything in there.

What kind of fish and how big?

Thanks
    Sam

There are supposed to be some rainbows and dolleys in there. You never lose when you take a fishing rod in my book. It is a great area to camp and hike/bike. The lake can be pretty windy at times but you might as well try to fish.

Check this out:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/524

Some nice bows and dollies. Due to lake silt you will have to use bait to catch them. Plan to keep what you catch. Look for a small stream entering the lake. Fish with the eggs on the bottom.

DISCLAIMER: I have not fished it for a few years and have not read the regulations for the lake recently. CHECK REGS before going.

Good luck.

Mike

One of my favs to fish. I would leave the raft at home as the lake can go from flat calm to some nasty white caps in seconds. I ride my bike around the lake with my wife, stop at each creek to make a few casts with a small roster tail then continue on the trail. the wife gets a break from the riding and I get to fish. Nothing hudge although I have caught a dolly over 16 and a bow around 14. I think dew to the silt in the lake but it is a big lake so there could be a monster in there. Mostley the view is good the fishing is a plus

Thanks guys. I just got back from hiking the Twin Peaks trail and didn't see any fishing signs.

From up high looking down through the binos I did see a guy fishing from the bank and then he was gone when we got back down the mountain.

My plan was to raft around the shoreline but I might give it a shot on foot.

I have caught dollies with spinners and rainbows with bait. There are also Landlocked reds (Kokanee) in the lake. Below is a picture of my fiancee's first fish, which was caught with a nightcrawler on bottom of Eklutna Lake.

It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Sorry to dig this up from a few years ago but I was trying to find if this was already talked about. I'm looking to take my kids their to camp and they want to fish too. When you say you caught some dollies with spinners were you just reeling it back in towards the top of the water or where you in the shallows not too far from shore?

I've never used night crawlers but I have heard they are good for dollies, do I just put them under a bobber and caste from shore? I have a canoe.

Thanks for any info.

Whoops I did not realize this was in the saltwater section.