Thread: GPS Advice

Default GPS Advice

Am looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 640. Does anyone have any experience with it? It is preloaded with US coastal bluechart g2 data. Anyone know if that includes AK?

Yes it includes Alaska. Head down to west marine if you can, they don't have them on display but they will pull one out of the box and show it to you. Its a sweet unit. Has road maps on it also.

I thought the G2 vision chart was an upgrade from the standard marine chart that is preloaded on the unit.

Looking at the Garmin site, the unit is preloaded with Blue Chart G2 Marine Data. It will also accept the Blue Chart G2 Vision Cards. Not having used either, I am not sure what the difference is. It appears the latter cards provide 3D above and cartography below the surface. Anyone have experience with one or both?

I am using a 4208 with the added G2 vision chart. Found my rockpile I lost a couple years ago using the cartography. The sat. photos of the land are so grainy they are useless. Fish eye view is a little freaky for someone who aint played video games since asteriods was cutting edge.

The auto guidance feature is only on the G2 Vision card right?