Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear snaring 16B

Default Black bear snaring 16B

Did any one know it started May 21? Goes to October 15. I called Juneau to start asking questions. I figured I would start at the top? Got back to Anchorage. Well you go and pick up the permit, than submit it , and wait. I never read any thing that explains the current way you go about getting one. I still can't find out what the rules are under the current system. Has anyone else applied for one? Any help would be appreciated.

Default It's being kept secret

cubguy,

I inquired with F&G last month on this after seeing the permit application. I asked the same questions you did. Was advised not bring this up on hunting forums, even though I told them I had a trapper who lived in 16B asking questions about it. Was told to call Palmer area biologist for more info. Passed that info on to the trapper who asked me about it and he wasn't able to find anything out that way. The whole thing is being kept real secret, looks like only a select few folks are going to be allowed to participate.

If anyone wants to look at the permit app I can post it. It's with the application for helicopter pilots to participate in the program.

I have never before seen a "public" control effort be kept so secretive. In all the others we were told ahead of time what was allowed, like how many bait stations, where we could do it if we got a permit, if we had to be a part of a "camp" or affilated with any org, or if we could do it ourselves etc. With this thing you know absolutely nothing about the where, how many snares you can set, if you can do it on your own, if you have to fly out to a camp set up by a private org etc.

You will have to go through a short course of some kind if accepted. You will need to have a trapping license. You may have to even join or be affiliated with a certain org <grin>. That's all I was able to find out.

Point man at ADFG they suggested folks talk with is Tony Kavalok at the Palmer office. Good luck,

Why the secrecy and restrictions in regards to predator control?

Default success?

Has anyone ever had success snaring black bear? If so I'd like to see some pictures. Its hard for me to imagine finding a 6' black bear in a snare

If they have anything on the ADFG web site they have it buried. I just spent an hour looking guess I'll have to call Tony today this is ridicules there is no reason for this. If it is legal then it should be more in the open.
    Chuck

Default Chuck, please let us know what you find out

They don't have it listed on ADFG site far as I know. I got the permit application from another source. Would really like to find out if this has been turned into a privatized deal where only certain people are granted a permit.

That's sure the way it's looking.

I'll let you know I'm calling Tony later this morning and see if I can get the scoop.
    Chuck

The way I understand it works is there are specific sites set up that you go to where there is a F&G person on site to release Brown Bears that are caught by accident. The baits are raked clean to see what kind of bear is coming in before the snare is set. If you are there snaring you must stay on site the entire time you are snaring. If Brown bears have to be killed the entire program will be shut down when 10 Browns have been killed. That is all I know at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver55 View Post
    The way I understand it works is there are specific sites set up that you go to where there is a F&G person on site to release Brown Bears that are caught by accident. The baits are raked clean to see what kind of bear is coming in before the snare is set. If you are there snaring you must stay on site the entire time you are snaring. If Brown bears have to be killed the entire program will be shut down when 10 Browns have been killed. That is all I know at this time.
    Do you know if these select areas are down around Tyonek?
    Chuck

cubdriver55,

Thanks for that info. I didn't think F&G was gonna be able to put someone out 24/7 in the field who was both authorized and qualified to release any brown bears. That's a lot of salary right there, not to mention the danger factor.

Chuck, hope you can find some more info out from the area bio.
    Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Do you know if these select areas are down around Tyonek?
    I did see some choppers there...?????????

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

[QUOTE=cubguy;513477]Did any one know it started May 21? Goes to October 15. I called Juneau to start asking questions. I figured I would start at the top? Got back to Anchorage. Well you go and pick up the permit, than submit it , and wait. I never read any thing that explains the current way you go about getting one. I still can't find out what the rules are under the current system. Has anyone else applied for one? Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh BOOOOYYYY
    Joe (Ak)

Has anyone ever had sucess?

The old timers used to leave thier doors open on there trappers cabins and hang the snare in the opening. Heard about some moose that were caught that way to.

Default I know of one

I have a friend in (i'll never tell but it's in Minnesota), that had a habit of walking home liqoured up late at night. He met with a fairly bold blackie 2 nights in row and made a cable snare out of 1/4 inch cable. He came past his sight to find a pile of guts? Later a CO came into his taxidermy shop, asking him some questions. Warden said funny thing only one guy ever looked at the site??? (couldn't prove it, but knew it was him) The bear stepped through the set with a foot and got the hoop around the chest, warden shot it with his 357 mag revolver. He said two older woman called him! I wouldn't call it success but its the only one I've got that came from the source ( he's admittedly a little goofy in the head).

based on a conversation i had this evening it seems that sarah's dad is closely involved with this whole program. apparently he is the "former bio" on the ground supervising some of the snaring sites....
    i would sure like someone to tell me this is incorrect....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Why Dave?????

Default snaring

Heck I guess if we allow this why not just poison them?
    I wonder what is next.I think the boards actions are a joke.Trying to appease to many
    people at the same time.

Default You can find

The selected areas in the ADF&G "predator control supplement", with some additional info. Its online, just google "ADF&G predator control supplement".
    Last edited by DEDWUF; 06-18-2009 at 10:06. Reason: word romoval

Thumbs up

It is going as it should. Being selective on who gets to play, is not being secretive. Same way as the Arieal Wolf hunting. Not everyone gets to play. Nor should they. Some folks ain't cut out for snaring bears or shooting wolves from planes. Very professional people working on this project. Not a bunch of naysayers or weekend warriors. There are comparisons of what is being done with the black bears now, that have been done with tranqing polar bears in the past. If you have watched video of that process, then you know the deal. It is a great opportunity to rid the place of the bears, and these guys know how to do it and do it right.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default snaring

You say professionals are doing this.
    Where or how would they get to be such?Come on.
    Even if they trapped for years which alot of people have that does not make them a professional bear snare'er.This is a bad joke.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast