Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kingfisher Boats

Default Kingfisher Boats

I was thumbing through the June issue of "Fish Alaska" and spotted an ad for a 2825 Pro Kingfisher w/ twin 130 e-tecs for 89K. This was a new boat for sale by AMDS, regular price 130K. I am unfortunately not in a posistion to jump on this, but it sure seems like a smokin deal?
    Is this a good price?
    What do you guys think?
    How do folks like their Kingfishers?

Default park and sell

They now have a park and sell program for folks who wish to sell their boats and have some public exposure. That may have been one! (of course it could be a really great deal).

It seems under powered for a boat that size, which is probably why they haven't sold it.

I saw the ad and thought that's a heck of deal for someone. Twin 130's on that boat seems like it would do 25-30 mph easy. But I'm no expert. Still for that price you get an pretty cush boat to camp, fish and whatever in.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think Honda quit the 130s in '05. There are quite a few "older" 2825's running around with twin 130s. I've been on one. It runs just fine. In '06 I bought a 2825 and it has twin 150s. It too runs just fine. I have never been on an Etec powered boat, but 130s will push that without any problem. And yes, that does seem like a great price.

I suppose I worded my response wrong. If I was getting a 28' hull with ~260 hp, I'd have a single engine. If I was getting a 28' hull with twin engines, the engines would be sized so that one engine could get the hull on plain, and that ain't happening with 130 hp.

The manufacturers listed capacity ratings make me wonder?
    Kingfishers 2525 Pro series weighing 4K is rated for a max of 250HP, compared to a Weldcraft 26 Cuddy at 4700 pounds pounds rated for a max of 500HP.?? Weldcrafts 26 Ocean King is 3600 and rated for 500 HP as well.?
    Is one Manufacturer just very conservative?
    Are the boats that diffrent?
    It tells me I have alot to learn?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I'm not sure how the various manufacturers come up with the ratings, but looking at your numbers, I wonder of the hp rating for the kingfisher is for two 250 hp, for a compbined hp of 500? A good ballpark for sizing engines is take the gross weight of the hull, engine(s), fuel, crew, gear et al, and for a single engine, divide that by 25, for twins, divide that by 40. So lets say your gross weight is 6000#, for a single you'd want a 240 hp, bump it up to 250, and for twins, two 150's, though I might bump that up to 175 if I'd likely be carrying more weight. I can't see going to the expense of running twins if one of the engines isn't capable of getting the hull on plane.

Its stated on Kingfisher's website as a 250 MAX HP, the 2825 is rated for MAX 450 HP. The 28 footer weighs a tad over 5K, about 1100 pounds heavier than the 25 foot model. The formula you posted for sizing the motor is interesting, apperently it takes more power w/ twins? I dont dispute it, I just wonder why? Is it because smaller motors run smaller props, or something more complicated than that?
    I have very little practical experience, but my inclination would be to power the boat w/ a single rather than a twin, until you reach a boat size that requires more power than can be obtained with one motor. At that point it seems to me a IB/OD starts making more sense.
    As I stated before, this is my humble opinion at this time, trying to learn what I can before I make an expensive mistake.
    TR

No, it doesn't take more power with twins. You can run twins and just split the power of a single engine.

The problem with sizing the twins that way, is that should one engine fail, you have a very expensive kicker. I.e. that one engine won't get the hull on plane, but it'll suck a bunch of gas trying.

My point is, if you are going to set up a boat to run twins, you should size them so that one of them is big enough to get the hull on plane. The boat manufacturers have come up with the formula that the ideal hp is the gross weight divided by 25, the minimum hp is gross weight divided by 40. So when sizing for a single, divide by 25, when sizing for twins, divide the weight by 40 for one of the twins, that way you can get the hull in plane if you loose one engine.

Paul, Thanks, I get it now and that makes sense.
    TR

Default Tried it both ways

I have a 2825 KingFisher. I originally had twin Honda 150's. I felt that those motors were inadequate. I usually travel heavy and 300 hp was not working for me. I upgraded to twin Yamaha 225's. One motor can get me on step if I have to. I do burn more fuel but I go faster. If one motor will not get you one why have two big twins? The main problem with the KingFisher is it was designed with 2 stoke outboards in mind. It needs more aft flotation. Just my opinion.

Default 2825 kf

Polardds,

So, why not upgrade to the Yamaha 350 single or the Suzi 300? Then you can just run a real kicker, burn less fuel and have half the maintenance costs? I, too, was looking at the ad and started to salivate...

Default Everyone has there Preferences

Each has there advantage. Ideally it would be nice to have separate fuel systems independent of each other for each motor. I like the reliability of twins. If I lose one, I can still get home at a decent rate of speed and fuel burn. If I lose my large single, I am headed to shore and waiting for a tow.

polardds: I to have a 2825 with twin Honda 150's and I'm curious what you didn't like about this configuration. I don't travel real heavy but full fuel, water and enough stuff for a week in the sound makes for a pretty good load and so far I seem to have plenty of get up and go. I obviously can't get on step with one motor however I really wonder what would happen with the different prop. Have you ever tried a real flat pitched prop with one motor?? I have wondered about this for some time.

Default I tried

When I had the 150's I tried stainless props, aluminum props, four bladed, three bladed all with various pitches to see if I could get the performance I wanted. I usually carry 100g on deck. That is 600 lbs back there. With the 150's they would always vibrate back to the back wall and I would go back and push them forward. With the 225's I do not get this problem. I also like being able to go 45mph if I need to make the next tunnel and the water is flat.

When I had the 150's I did have one motor lose a fuel pump. That was a torturous nine hour trip back to the harbor since I was 90 miles out.

Like I said before everybody has their preferences and there safety limits. Whatever lets you sleep at night. I like my big twins for what I do.

Default I like mine but...

I have a 2007 2825 with twin Verado 175's. It has performed flawlessly and can plane on a single engine and run 30mph. With both engines and a light load I can do 50mph. Regardless of load I usually run the engines around 4300 rpm's which appears to be the sweet spot as far as speed and fuel economy is concerned.

I have had a few problems with my 2825. The factory did not seal or even use the proper fittings when connecting dissimilar metals to each other. I have had paint bubble up in several places. In one case they had brass on aluminum, not good.

The bulkhead with the door into the pilot house was warped and had to be knocked straight. I didn't realize when I bought it but the rear door didn't seal properly because of this. As a result, deisel fumes from my stove were getting sucked into the pilothouse when underway.

Harbercraft has fixed most of this, and other things I have fixed myself. I recommend the boat but do not get it with the optional stainless rails around the cockpit!

I love the boat for cruising and fishing, it's a great design and has few flaws, but that is true of most boats.

Personally I wouldn't buy the twin engine 130 boat for the same reason as the other guy mentioned, it can't get on plane with one motor. That makes for a miserable ride home, if you have enough fuel to make it...

Default No stainless rails?

Heathjohnson,

Why don't you recommend the stainless steel rails? I haven't had my 2525 that long, but I find the stainless rails to be strong and functional. I'm actually looking at putting 7" high and 68" long S.S. rails along the side of the fish deck for some added safety since the gunnel is low.

Mike

Default why no stainless rails

I was only saying don't order rails on the boat from the factory. They don't put any sealant on them and after awhile the paint starts bubbling up from the osmosis that occurs between the stainless screws and aluminum hull. If you do get them from the factory, disassemble them and put some 3m 5200 in there so water doesn't penetrate to where it can cause a problem (like on my boat).

My boat is only 1.5 years old and it needs to be repainted everywhere a stantion is secured to the hull. This should not be the case. A few pennies worth of sealant applied at the factory on a $150k boat is not too much to ask, and now I have a mess on my hands. Check the drain on the bow coming out of the chain locker too. I had no sealant there either as well as a brass fitting against the aluminum. Best to seal it before it causes big problems.

Other things I would do to the boat are:

Cut a vent hole under the counter and put a perko (or other) vent cover over it. I noticed a lot of heat builds up under there when the stove/heater is going and the vent will let it out. I noticed Kingfisher is building vents into their newer boats I've seen at the boat show. It puts an unnecessary load on your refridgerator components, batteries, etc.
    Also put a clam shell vent cover over the exhaust through hull for the stove. The directions from the stove manufacturer say to do it for "fast boats", but Harbercraft doesn't and it'll blow your stove out under common condititions.

I would (and have) fill the bottom of the chain locker with urethane foam rubber up to where the actual drain hole is. Otherwise a good bit of water has the ability to pool there without draining and can cause moisture problems, mildew etc. The urethane is practically bulletproof and holds up to alot of punishment. Any water that comes in on the bow will drain out easily. I fixed the problem during the winter when I discovered it and just now managed to finally rid the foreward area of the boat of all mold and mildew. That drain is poor design. The liquid urethane mixes easily and poors right into the spot. Make sure you block the drain hole first and order the urethane that bonds well to metal.

Default One more consideration with twins vs single engine

Besides the obvious safety factor of having twins on a boat you're taking to remote locations, there is another benefit I have not heard anyone point out that on these boats makes a big difference..

The 2825 I have is particularly difficult to navigate in tight areas, I cannot imagine doing it with a single engine without a bow thruster. With twins I can spin the boat around in place.

My brother is a captain and has driven my boat as well as many others since he owned a boat dealership on the east coast, he said my boat is particularly finicky when trying to maneuver around the dock.

I have noticed that kingfisher offers a bow thruster on the newer boats, but I have no idea what it would cost. I suspect it's pricey. I'd prefer to spend my money on a second motor..

As far as trolling, I just use one engine at a time and it works great with Verados because they have a trolling mode that reduces the timing so the rpms drop low enough to do so. It adds hours to the "big" motor, but rigging up a kicker etc in addition to twins and two steering stations just doesn't make much sense to me. If you flip between egines for your trolling it doesn't add too many hours to the engine in my opinion, espeically just idling.

Gas you say? You can't be concerned about gas if you're running a 2825....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast