Thread: South Rolly near Nancy lake

Default South Rolly near Nancy lake

I like to hear if anyone has caught any fish there. Spent most of the weekend working the water and nothing, didn't even see a fish, not counting minnows.

I have caught some very small rainbows in one of the coves and I saw a few small pike in the stream that goes towards Redshirt lake. That was a few years ago. They aren't stocking it anytime soon because of the pike. The pike in there are pretty small too. It can be a nice place to camp with the family if it is not too busy. The hiking trail to Redshirt lake is a nice 3 mile one way hike.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/299

My experience has not been good in south Rolly lake. I don't think it has good oxygen. I have arrived there with the stocking truck that was the only time I have seen fish there in good numbers. I have looked for good Pike in there several times and only seen hammer handles. When I camp there I go to North Rolly lake, the pull out before the overlook for south. you have to pack the boat down the hill but the bows are vary large and I have sean wolvs foxs moose and one bear around the lake.

We camped there last week for a few days. The host (who has been there for a number of years and is a former guide on Alexander Creek) stated that there were a large number of substantial rainbows until about 6 years ago when the pike showed up. Now, the pike have decimated the rainbow population and there isn't enough food for the pike to get large. There are a few small pike with an occasional mid-sized fish that's left over from the stocking days.

I watched the lake closely for a few days and old saw the small minnows, no significant rise that would be attributed to even a small trout.

There were about a dozen boats fishing while I was there and nobody caught a thing.

I had a number of rods in the truck and never even took one out of the case.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    We camped there last week for a few days. The host (who has been there for a number of years and is a former guide on Alexander Creek) stated that there were a large number of substantial rainbows until about 6 years ago when the pike showed up. Now, the pike have decimated the rainbow population and there isn't enough food for the pike to get large. There are a few small pike with an occasional mid-sized fish that's left over from the stocking days.

I watched the lake closely for a few days and old saw the small minnows, no significant rise that would be attributed to even a small trout.

There were about a dozen boats fishing while I was there and nobody caught a thing.

I had a number of rods in the truck and never even took one out of the case.

You are talking about South Rolly right? Not North Rolly?

HEY, you gotta know how to fish before you can catch'em. Better luck next time. May want to practice, by fishing for kings this week.

I'm pretty sure it was south Rolly. That's the one with the campground, right? If not, please disregard my post.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery