Thread: Brown Bear Killer!!!

Cool Brown Bear Killer!!!

So I'm going to take my Remington .300 WSM, brown bear hunting this fall.
    How do you think this will hold up in bear country?
    I will also be taking my .44 mag, as my side kicker. Better be safe than sorry I guess. Anybody here had to shoot 300 yards or further for their kill?
    And by the way, I will be coming back with a brown bear or not coming back at all. I will stay out their as long as it takes.

I'm no bear expert, but I'm not sure how many people go for 300 yards (or better) shots on brownies - bears are hard to kill, and usually take more than one shot. It seems like most try to get a lot closer then 300 yards for their first shot, and then keep shooting untill the bear stops moving.

Use a quality 180 grain or 200 grain bullet, and try to get closer for your first shot, so it's easiet to hit the bear on the followup shots when it's dancing around or running after being hit by the first one.

Good luck and be careful.

Default i shoot a 300wsm

used it for the last five years guiding and hunting on my own....i have killed 3 brown bears, two sheep, a wolf, a goat, and two black bear with it......i have lost one brown bear and one moose with it however...i would suggest using atleast a 180 gr bullet...i'd also suggest barnes x....or some other heavily jacketed bullet.....i used winchester super x with great results however inside of 50 yards the bullete just exploded...so i will be switching to something more solid...i also suggests getting less than 100 yards for your first shots on the brownie....i did shoot one of the black bears at 465yds after the client wounded it and we jumped it out of a woodlot and it ran around the ravine on us....well thats my two cents.....good luck out there.....oh yeah md has it right....shoot and shoot again and when its dead shoot it again...its easier and cheaper for taxidermist to sew up holes than to get holes sewn up in you
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by armandodiaz22 View Post
    So I'm going to take my Remington .300 WSM, brown bear hunting this fall.
    How do you think this will hold up in bear country?
    I will also be taking my .44 mag, as my side kicker. Better be safe than sorry I guess. Anybody here had to shoot 300 yards or further for their kill?
    And by the way, I will be coming back with a brown bear or not coming back at all. I will stay out their as long as it takes.
    As a general rule we usually start shooting between 75 and 125 yards. The "question" makes me hope you will get a lot more information before hunting bears. In my opinion not a "learn as you go" undertaking. (At least should not be).
    Joe (Ak)

I don't think you'll have any problem. I used a Remington 300 Ultra Mag with 180 grain Federal trophy bonded bear claws and they worked great. Couldn't get any closer then 180 yards but it was no problem shooting off my harris bipod.

Here's a story about a 300 WSM, 180 Accubond and a 10 1/2' brownie 250 yds away. It's a good read.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...me-does-31021/

I personally would try to keep it within 200 yds on something like a big brownie. Put the bullet in the right place and the bear will die. A 300 RUM I might stretch to 300 yds.

-MR

I've hunt Kodiak and use a 300 WSM but failed to bag a brown (note to self; if you have a tag, you may not see any bears). Jim's Kodiak story was uncanny. I personally wouldn't shoot that far at a bear but will admit the 300 WSM will surpass my abiliy and range with a rifle.

JMHO keep it with-in a hundred yards and call it bear hunting,much farther than that call it bear shooting. Of course I know there are places you can see bear along way off and hunting is complettly different than my area so use a good bullet with some weight and good luck

Default I enjoy longer range shooting...

But with bears, I'll keep it short. Under a hundred is good, 75 is just about right but hammering them at bow range is just plain "interesting"

Shootin a 338WM with 225grn partitions @ 2945, I have the poop to do bad things at longer distances.... but I want to turn BOTH of his front shoulders into mush AND have 2 holes in him for each shot taken.

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Here's a story about a 300 WSM, 180 Accubond and a 10 1/2' brownie 250 yds away. It's a good read.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...me-does-31021/

I personally would try to keep it within 200 yds on something like a big brownie. Put the bullet in the right place and the bear will die. A 300 RUM I might stretch to 300 yds.

-MR
    Read the article.
    250 yards? one shot - then in the alders? no chance for follow-up? Not in "our" camp or any camp I've worked in.
    The issue isn't the caliber; the bullet or the individual's ability to shoot; the issue is the RESOURCE. From a ethical standpoint the risk of wounding and not being able to follow up isn't worth possibly being able to "hang" another animal on the wall (at least for us or most of the guides I've worked with or the clients I've hunted with.)
    Joe (Ak)

The reasons for getting close are many. Not the least being able to judge the quality of the animal. Bears are very difficult to judge in general, and nearly impossible from afar. I have seen many blackies shot from distance, only to see SERIOUS ground shrinkage. Coat condition is another reason.
    Also, part of the "adventure" in bear hunting is the adrenal rush of getting close to something that can kill YOU! The rush is undeniable if done correctly. I, personally have far more respect for the hunter who, in telling his/her story says, "We got this close...." rather than, "I hit that thing at a zillion yards".
    Then there are the logical reasons stated above.

Not to hijack the thread - but is that the formerly MN Viking, now settled in Alaska? I apologize if you're not, just following up on a guy who used to post and was anxiously awaiting his return to AK.

Not the same.