Thread: Compost Tea

Default Compost Tea

Started a batch of compost tea yesterday. Went to the pet store and bought a bubbler. Used some unsulphered molasses, about three cups of compost, and some yeast (plus water.) It's been bubbling away since about five yesterday. Can't wait to try it on the garden. And the lawn.

Has anyone else made compost home brew? That's how I have come to think of it. Not just tea, but home brew.

Does it really produce? Because I am a novice gardener with brand new soil I would really like to boost my dirt output without too many chemical fertilizers. Please share experiences if you are in the know.

I haven't tried making my own yet, but I'm about to go out and buy some for both my yard and the garden that I'm in the process of building this week (and likely next). I won't use chemical fertilizers. Besides, if you get the natural systems set up correctly, you'll get far more fertilizer out of bio products than you could possibly apply with commercial products.

The compost tea that came out of our worm bin was excellent for the garden. No brewing necessary. We were just discussing getting another worm bin last night.

My wife's an organic veggie gardener. I appreciate the effort. I use chemicals on the lawn.

willowite,

Why yeast in the recipe? I've read about the molasses to feed the bacteria, but I've never heard of adding yeast.

I thought yeast might help it along. I can not tell if it did or not.

The compost tea brewed for almost three days. It was applied full strength as a foliar spray and about half strength as a soak on the garden and lawn. I want to make more this week since my soil is so brand new. It appears to be working. The plants aren't dead yet, so it must have done some good.

Fish emulsion will help your new soil, too.

Please let us know about your yeast mixture's long-term results. Interesting idea.

Thumbs up chicken manure

nothing for nothing, but my brother had an awesome garden for years using a "tea" he made from chicken manure. Nothing special, just a bag of it with holes in a 55 gal drum. He use to cut it with water as not to burn the plants due to its high nitrogen. I've never seen healthier or larger vegetables. Might be worth checking out on a small section.

I've been experimenting with different tea recipes. I've tried worm castings, rabbit poo, chicken poo, and water from my duck ponds. So far I've had better results from my rabbit poo batches.
    I have noticed that my brew is best after only 12 hours of brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Fish emulsion will help your new soil, too.

Please let us know about your yeast mixture's long-term results. Interesting idea.
    I do use fish emulsion but want more results. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The garden is much greener since the application of the first batch of compost tea. There are less bugs and not as many yellow leaves.

Another batch of compost tea is brewing in the garage right now. This time with ground compost. Just water, compost, and molasses. It's bubbling away.