Thread: Little Su.

Default Little Su.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=49113
    Hey people.
    back in august we talked about the first canoe trip, and it was just done this past weekend.

Thanks For All The Great Advice~~

The trip started at Parks Highway, and it was a gorgeous afternoon. Put in last thursday around 7pm. My son is up from the states, so we took the opportunity to do this trip together.

Floated for about three hours, and then made camp on a gravel bar. The first thought that comes to mind is "Trash". Guess some people just cant leave the wilderness the way they found it. Some broad must have been on her period, cuz' there was enough "trash" in the bushes.

Every gravel bar that we stopped at had toilet paper scattered in the brush. What-The-Heck; doesn't anybody carry a shovel anymore?

After a quick meal, we called it a night. The mosquitos were out in force, and looking for a fill-up.

Next morning we shoved off, and once again the gorgeous scenery surrounded us. We made a little over 18 miles that day (As The Crow Flies-according to my GPS) and I put that at around 25-30 actual miles.

The current was pretty strong. Sweepers, boilers, and sharp turns every 50-yards. Never in my life have I seen a river that had so many 360-defree turns. For the most part we just let the current take us, and only paddled around the turns.

We did the river in 2.5 days, and it was a pretty nice trip until we got near the bottom. Out of the 30-40 boats coming upstream, only three slowed down for us. These guys were shooting wakes behind them that were 2-3 feet high. We just pointed the canoe into the waves, and rode it out, then headed back down toward Burma, until the next boat came along. We saw all kinds of boats, all makes. I laughed every time I thought about the $100 bucks that I spent on my canoe, compared to the cost of these "fishing" boats, the fuel, and other shtuff. Some guys must have real big wallets, cuz' the boats were on the side of "over kill" to say the least.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sounds like you had a great time! Where is the next adventure?

Default Some More

If your going to do this river; then make sure that you carry enough bug juice. The Mosquitos are really thick. The gravel bars are numerous about half way to the landing. After that, there are less of them.

We considered going into thebush a little, but the bugs were really feasting on us.

The first picture is looking down at the canoe from on top of a 80 foot ridge. Really nice area though. Wasn't sure if it was private property, so we moved on. Saw a couple of bear tracks on top, and lots of moose tracks as well. I envy who ever owns that piece of heaven.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cristancanoe View Post
    sounds like you had a great time! Where is the next adventure?
    Not sure yet. By next time it will be farther away from people, and darned sure (if possible) away from the fishing boats.

I wonder if limiting horsepower on the little sue would help the salmon. I like people to practice personal responsibility, but some don't care about how they affect others. That is a small river and I have seen some overkill jetboats out there.

Default Personal Responsibility

I agree with you. Some people just do not care how their actions affect others. They are of the limited (low class) mind set. I see these $50k boats and all the cabela's gear, and cases upon cases of beer piled up; and the huge piles of fresh cut firewwood sitting on the banks, and the first thought that comes to mind is "Mindless".

I left the states to get away from that crap, and it pains me to see The Last Frontier being invaded by these type of "Outdoors People".

Music blaring all night long, wild parties that go all night and into dawn, trash everywhere, and huge bonfires that reach 20 feet into the trees. ATV's tearing up the woods, and no respect for anything or anyone else.

Geez-I seem to have stood on my soapbox again..

Default Liberty

When I am snowmachining on the trails with I always pull over and turn off my engine for the dogsleds. I only open up the throttle if I am on powder or on flat open trail. That is just an unwritten rule in the winter (most) everyone follows.

Power boats should slow down in canoe water. Especially if they see a canoe. The government shouldn't have to pass a law but if someone dies they will be forced to do something. The idea of Liberty is that you can do anything unless it might hurt someone else. People seem to not do the right thing unless there is a law telling them to do the right thing. That is why we are in all of these problems with more laws and taxes than anyone could ever keep up with.

Another solution is to spend 5k less on that big jet boat and buy a second smaller boat. That way you could have a 45K jet boat you could use on big water and a 5k boat you could use on small water instead of a overpriced 50k jet boat that you might only use a few times a year.

Fortunately I have other priorities and I have maybe $700 invested in my Scanoe.

Well let me step down from the soap box now.

This is what makes me a bit leery about taking the kids in the canoe with us in the Little Su... I hate what I have to deal with just sitting on the shore fishing, let alone having to combat the waves those boats throw up without consideration for others. Considering taking out and going up through Nancy Lakes Canoe Trail. Is there any sign showing that portage that you know of? how is the river up to that point if someone else has done it?

Default Little Su Boats

Years ago i did alot of canoe trips around the valley including the Little Su. I remember hating the huge jet boats also. The problem here is not the jet boaters being mean, they have to stay on step to keep from getting stuck, and for control. The real problem is the state allowing huge boats on such a tiny stream. There are other possible impacts of this, I am not a biologist, but wonder what a boat wake on a small streams does to Salmon spawning beds.
    I have been swamped there and feel your pain, but until someone is ran over the state will stand idle and do nothing, remember we are a knee jerk society.
    This is an old issue and with enough complaints maybe the state will react before the inevitable happens.
    Maybe you could look and see if the boats are only allowed certain days of the week,and are there speed limits in place? If there are rules in place which help people of different likes to coexist on a stream, then that's just what it is. If the rules are not in place, or unfair, or being abused, then complain to the state
    Want to escape these problems for good, learn to kayak.
    Regards MO

Hearing about all those boats tearing up the river does make me more hesitant to want to go down it in my canoe. It also seem as though such a small river would be negatively impacted by having large wakes beating the shores up.