Thread: *** FUEL Delivery Problem *** H E L P!!!!!

Question *** FUEL Delivery Problem *** H E L P!!!!!

Alright this is my 22' 2001 Eagle Marine with a Chevy 350(carb) engine. The thing does not want to start on its own right now without starting fluid. Ths only applies if the boat sits longer than overnight. If I keep the RPM's below 1500 for a period longer that 3 mins it will sputter out and die. Only to be started again on starting fluid. I have ran the entire tank of fuel out of it, changed the fuel filter, Spark Plugs. The only change that I have made from last year is I plumbed in a kicker after the fuel filter. Now I want to believe that my problem is the fuel delivery? Maybe the filter in the Holly carb? Fuel Pump? What is your idea? Anyone around here good at rebuilding Holly Carbs? What can I expect to pay?
    Please Help!!!!!

Thanks in advance......

Default A thought

Are you able to verify that you are getting fuel to the carb? Sounds like the fuel pump...can you here the pump coming on before you turn it over when you first turn the ignition on?
    BK

terminate or pinch off the new line you put in last year to eliminate that as a problem.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Your description certainly eludes to a fuel supply problem. I don't know if your boat is equipped with a mechanical or electric fuel pump but, following the fuel line from the carb will tell you quickly. Does the fuel go forward and down to the right side, lower portion of cylinder block ( left side if you are facing the crank pulley) ? That is where the mech. fuel pump on a chevy V8 is located, if you dont see a pump there continue following the fuel line until you locate the electrical pump, check for eveidence of a fuel leak at the weep hole if a mech. pump, check for power (12Volts) and ground if elec.

Another check is to disconnect the fuel line after the fuel pump, connect a length of rubber hose long enough to reach into a gas can, energize the pump, or crank the engine and look for good fuel flow out the line into the can.

It is unlikely the strainer in the Holley carb is the issue, at least directly, they are fairly porous and will stop only the larger particles. If that if plugged you have a bigger issue in your tank.

Another possibility ( if the fuel flow checks out) is a jammed needle in the float bowl. I have encountered this a couple of times during the many overhauls I have done. If the needle can't rise( or drop) far enough to let maximum fuel into the bowl the engine starve. A small piece of grit in the wrong place can wreak haovc. This is uncommon so don't be quick to put blame on it.

Good luck and report back how ever it turns out.

Most likely the kicker fuel line, if that is the only thing that was changed from last year, and ran fine last year. certainly as already suggested eliminate that possibilty first. Did you put a shut off valve on the kicker line?
    Is it run thru a Racor dual in/out filter set up?

Default Fuel Strainer

Go down to your part store and get a clear in line fuel strainer. You will be able to quanity of fuel being delivered to the carb. fuel feed.

-Check that the screen that is on the pick up tube in the fuel tank is clean,
    -Check for a crack fuel hose sucking air
    -Check that EGR Line feed on bottom baffle plate plate below carb is in good shape
    -Install a valve to isolate fuel feeding kicker

Good Luck

Default Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Well unfortunately I had to leave for the slope for another 2 weeks. I now have some ideas to check when I get back home now. The fuel feed line going to the kicker has one of those quick disconnects on the kicker side. I do not have it plugged in unless I am using it. I will install a valve right after the Racor filter set up to make sure. I am trying to remember off the top of my head if I have an electric fuel pump or not. I want to say yes but I am not for certain. I know I can check for voltage on the fuel pump, but if it reads does that mean it is good? If my problem is in fact the pump it appears that it will pump fine once it is primed or running! How can I be certain if the pump is the problem? This is killin me now! I have some possible solutions and I am away from home for another 11 days. Thanks for the ideas so far, please keep them comming if you can think of anymore.
    BTW, anyone any good at cleaning out a gummed up holly carb?

Check to make sure you are getting 12 volts at the fuel pump. It sounds like you may have a bad ground or power wire to the fuel pump/bad fuel pump maybe. If you have 12 volts then you need to check fuel pump pressure/fuel flow rate.

Do start with the new work 1st.

Any trust worthy people capible of cleaning out my Holly carb for me around here? One shop claims it will take about 4hrs of shop time! WOW, I really dont want to spend that much at all!

Anyone or recommendations to someone around the Valley?

Thumbs down Starting Fluid BAD

It will burn vlaves and wash out your cylinder walls. Avoid it. Use gas in a sqirt bottle instead.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Here's a wild thought...

I installed a new carb for my Chevy 305, it wouldn't run with it lower than 1500 rpm's. They said the float's might have got stuck if the carb was tipped upside down during shipping??? The old carb would die when put in gear pulling away from the dock on day one of a trip, it was really gummed up, thus the reason for buying another one. Well, the new one didn't work and I didn't try much messing with it really, so I put the old one back on and used a engine cleaner spray that you spray in the carb while running, works like a charm and no more stalling.
    Now I have a useless new carb and my old one works like a dream, just something to think about, good luck. (Let me know if you want to buy my new carb, at this point I'll let it go extremely cheap!)

Powderhound, I sent a PM.

Default Check the float level

There is a screw on each side of your holley in the front and back and if you pull one of these it should have gas right to the level of the threaded hole. If not, it is too low and will starve the motor and be hard to start.