Thread: Cat Crap fogging preventer?

Default Cat Crap fogging preventer?

Anyone used Cat Crap (the brand name antifog paste that comes in a small container at sport shops) on sports optics; binoculars or scopes? Or anything else that works well to prevent fogging yet isn't harmful to optic glass?

I've used it on ski goggles.

Thanks.

Don't think I could bring myself to use that crap.

Default Early morning binoculars fogging...

Quote Originally Posted by AKGUPPY View Post
    Don't think I could bring myself to use that crap.
    - Knew I should've just said "antifog compound" or something...

Anyway, I've used it on goggles and it seems to work well. Last week, in the wee hours one AM, I got the binocs out and couldn't get a clear picture for the fogging.

Bushnell uses a coating (Rain Cote?) I think, but for other brands maybe some of this "antifog compound!" - or something else would work?

I don't think I could bring myself to smear that stuff on my bino's! Perhaps if I was using some cheap tasco's but I can't see it being good for the multicoated optics.

I picked some up at Sportsmans a few years back. Used it on the small mirror I have in the shower to shave with. Not putting it on my Zeiss Diascope though
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've used it on glasses while kayaking. It worked very well.

Bar soap works about the same though.

Default Fogging in wee hours...

Camped out watching a bait barrel last month, a critter - maybe a marten or maybe otter? - climbed up into the barrel, 131 yds away, and started feeding.

Jack, who keeps his compact 8 x 32s in his shirt - couldn't make out clearly what it was, but his binocs didn't fog up. Then, I whipped out my 10x42s, thinking I might "clarify" the issue.

Nope. My binocs had been out - getting chilled real good - and I must have breathed on them. Once they got fogged, I couldn't get the glass dry or clear. Technically, I believe this was a condensation problem (fogging referring to a scope internal process). But it got me thinking how I might avoid the condensation problem in the future.

Here are some comments from other sources:

From http://www.outdoorlife.com/forums/ge...-lens-fogging:

"About six years ago, ...Kahles binoculars... Just by bringing these Binocs. to my eyes on a cold day the lenses fog instantly. Iím not talking about breathing on the lenses while Iím holding them; just the heat from my face makes these Binocs. useless..."

...If worse comes to worse you can lick the objective lens then wipe it dry and that should keep it from fogging up..."

" I recommend putting a small about of dish soap on the lenses and wiping it off without water. This will take several minutes (which is why to use a small amount). This is practically free and works as well as any commercial product I have found..."

The idea of licking the objective lens (above) sounds similar to snorkle/scuba divers using saliva to reduce the condensation problem on their masks - and it works. I'm not using real expensive binocs (Nikon), but might try this idea instead of (carrying and applying) a commercial product, "Cat Crap" or otherwise.