Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the 300 WSM replace the 30.06....

Default Will the 300 WSM replace the 30.06....

...as America's all around most popular rifle cartridge?

The 30.06 has a faithful and large following, but is that group the "older generation"?

The 300 WSM has gained a lot of popularity in the few years it has been around. Will the younger shooters choose the 300 WSM instead of the ole aught six and retire it????

What say ye?

It won't replace my 30.06! If I needed to replace my 30.06 with another caliber - all purpose type - it would be a traditional .300 Winchester Magnum. I like the ability to shoot heavier bullets if needed (200 grain +). I don't see the .06 going away anytime soon IMO.
    NRA Life Member

It won't ever replace the 30-06.

No way,Jack OConnor did that fifty years ago with the 270.Second thought I guess folks didn't buy it and stayed with the trusty 06

Default Well...

with an assertion like that, I'd love to see data on the sales of both the 30-06 & 300 WSM...on both the rounds sold & also the amount of guns sold as well, & then I'd be able to make an assesment about it...without data, it's all antecdotal...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default What a revolting thought, that is.

I hain't got no sales data, neither,

BUT, I figger the Regular 300 WM is far more popular than the 300 WSM, WILL EVER BE, and if anything replaces the 30-06 it would be the 300 WM, even though it is needlessly more powerful than needed for what most people hunt.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smile What !!!!

Long live the great 30-06!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bear View Post
    It won't replace my 30.06! If I needed to replace my 30.06 with another caliber - all purpose type - it would be a traditional .300 Winchester Magnum. I like the ability to shoot heavier bullets if needed (200 grain +). I don't see the .06 going away anytime soon IMO.
    I can get 3200 fps with a 180 gr bullet and 2935 fps with a 210 gr bullet out of my WSM. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt a 300 WM could match that.

So far most (if not all) of the guys who have responded are old farts like me. I know all you guys love your aught six, but the question is will it become a cartridge of the past with the younger shooters?

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    with an assertion like that, I'd love to see data on the sales of both the 30-06 & 300 WSM...on both the rounds sold & also the amount of guns sold as well, & then I'd be able to make an assesment about it...without data, it's all antecdotal...
    Well I wouldn't call it an assertion... just a hunch or a prediction... I see more 300 WSM's on the store racks than I see 30.06's

Hmmm... I'll ask the clerks what they are selling more of when i go to the store.

Default You've got a good question...

MR, & some data to back up your hunch would be nice...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Of course there's always MAGIC.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I can get 3200 fps with a 180 gr bullet and 2935 fps with a 210 gr bullet out of my WSM. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt a 300 WM could match that.
    Why would you doubt that? The 300 WM has more case capacity than the WSM, but they're close.

So, at the SAME PRESSURE, with the same bullet, barrel, the WM should come out on top.

In other words, you could over-load the WM too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    So far most (if not all) of the guys who have responded are old farts like me. I know all you guys love your aught six, but the question is will it become a cartridge of the past with the younger shooters?
    Well, I dont know what you consider "yuongsters" but I am 31 and most circles consider me a youngster- but you will NEVER get my 06 away from me. People get "chronograph crazy" really easy-I have been guilty of it before and still do sometimes- and dont take into account that it doesnt really matter that much how fast a bullet is going, but what the bullet is and the intended target for it, and how accurate YOU are with that perticular rifle. That is why now, I dont chronograph any new loads until I shoot groups with them. Once I forget about the whole speed thing, I shoot better and dont get biased by another 100fps. Anyone that wants to argue has never shoulder shot a bull elk at 250 yds with a 180gr partition @ 2650fps- I dont know about you, but if a "slow old '06" can break the shoulder and still get the oppisite lung at 250 yards, what else do you need?

Well I am a Younger shooter, less then 30. I don't see the 30-06 being replaced by anything. There are many better rounds for specific purposes but none with its versatility. Case capacity is large enough to push 180 grain plus bullets fast enough for 300 yard hunting, but still small enough to not cause excess recoil or make loading light bullets a problem. The only round that can hold a candle to the 30-06 in my mind is the 308 win, it pushes lighter bullets almost as fast but starts to fall away with heavy ones.

To me the 300 Win Mag is just a waste of powder. It uses 40% more powder to push a 180 grain bullet 200 fps faster. 200 fps does not make a significant difference in point blank range, and at 300 yards the 06 has enoungh energy to kill about anything the 300 wm can kill, so who needs another 200 fps. The 300 WSM just falls between the two but has the problems of: being odd, and new, and expansive ammo. Is it a bad round I suppose not, but then most rounds are not bad just unneeded.

I agree that I see way more 300 WSM's then 30-06's in gun stores. However, does that mean that more are being purchased by customer's or that more are ordered by the store, or that less are purchased by customer's and they are sold out of 06's. As far as the used market goes I see 4 or 5, 300 win mags or short mags for every 30-06 for sale. There may be interst in the others but it appears that those with 06's keep them.

MR, your velocities for the 300 WSM sound very fast to me, way more than all the published data I have seen. If your crony is telling the truth then you have found some sweet powder not in published loads I have seen (I have heard nice things about RL17), or you are getting scary with pressures. In anycase, the 300 win mag will beable to meet and beat those velocities under the same conditions, ideal powder and or scary pressure. Increasing case volume will always increase the potential for velocity, but the amount of powder burned, barrel life, and recoil will all be adversely effected.

The 30-06 is 103 years old and short of some major break through in powder, or electro-magnetic guns; I think it will still be going strong in 2106.

Default Over a century of chamberings? NO WAY!!!

There are too many guns in circulation for that to happen. The 300wsm is a child in comparison, it just hasn't been around long enough to compare. There are plenty of .30 calibers out there and so far the .30-06 ammo sales, blow them away.

Not on Planet Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Not on Planet Earth.

I would agree. When I bought two I could have had anything I wanted at the "candy store". I bought an 06' and will do so if I had to do it again.

Ron

Too early to tell... Let's see in another 100 years but its certainly interesting to think about. I wonder if some guys were hanging around the campfire 100 yrs ago debating whether the .30-06 would ever replace the .30-40 or .30-30 as America's favorite hunting round?

I've more or less become a .300WSM fan over the last year and no one is more surprised by that than me. My guess is that whatever inroads the .300WM will make into the '06 sales numbers are already made as well as those of the .308Win. The .270 at one time ran a close second to the '06 in sales but has lost some traction since the passing of O'Connor.

As cartridge the 300WSM has a lot going for it but so have a lot of equally good cartridges that went into the dustbin of history. Sometimes I think technical merit has little to do with whether a cartridge makes it or not commercially. I think the .300WSM is here to stay but I seriously doubt it will encroach on the .30-06 sales figures for at least a generation or two. There are simply a lot of rifles in .30-06 in the hands of satisfied hunters out there.

Default Well

I got caught up in the 300WSM craze 3-4 yrs back... With factory ammo that rifle would shoot... But at 40 dollars a pop at the time thier was no way I could shoot it. Besides I have been handloading since Jesus was a baby LOL. Anyhow I bought all the components to start handloading for it. Read other gun forums found data other guys were using and off to the range I went holy smokes that gun was worthless and I tried and tried... I bought more powder than anyone deserved to have, bullets, primers ie CCI, Remington, Winchester. I finally gave up and sold the gun. With the 06 use the std H-4831 with a 180gr bullets and almost guranteed to shoot in any gun. Just like a 270 Winchester use H-4831 with a good 140gr bullet and you are set. The 300WSM will never replace the 06 heck it will never replace the old and proven 300 Win Mag...

hmmm, at 29 I am on the younger end of things. I don't have a single '06 in the stable and no real intention of putting one their either. I have a 325wsm and a 270wsm, along with a 7mm Mag. The classic rounds in my locker are a model 94 in 30-30 and a 308 ruger compact.

I could see owning an '06 if I was broke and needed the cheapest most readily available round for a one gun aresenal.

In fact of the guns that I actually purchased that were not handed down they are all WSM except a .22 pistol and a .17 HMR.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast