Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable dinghy

Question Inflatable dinghy

Looking into getting a Mercury 200 Roll up PVC Inflatable boat to carry on top of my 22' SeaSport. Roof of cabin is 7' from front to back. Mercury boat is 6'7". This seems like a great fit. Boat is to be used mainly for getting to shore once in a while, plus the safety factor of a 2nd boat on hand in case of emergency.
    I am interested in this boat mainly for its size, but am always hesitant to order something sight unseen.
    Any one out there have any experience with Mercury inflatables that they could share? Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Gary,

I would check out the Gary Kings Alaska Series:

http://www.alaskaseries.com/270TDS.htm

specifically the 220TDS, which is 7'3" and weighs only 40 lbs. I bought a 270TDS and when it was not in when it was supposed to be, Jim King loaned me a 240TDS for my trip up the inside passage. They both performed well, and they work great with a 2HP motor even at full power, although they require a long shaft motor.

He has a shop here in Anchorage so you can see it in person, or at least something close to what you are thinkng about. Another advantage is that if you get a hole in it, you put a temporary patch on it and then he will take it and fix it permanently for free (I think forever, but this doesn't see right!)

So association with him other than a happy customer.

Jim

I agree with the Alaska Series Inflatable. I also have the 270 tender model. With the Grizzly Claw Bottom for added toughness, I don't think you can find a better built inflatable for the price.

Alaska Series Inflatables, thumbs up. If something isnít right Jim will make it right.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Question Pricey!!

I found the Alaska series boats online and it looks like they are more than twice as much money as an Achilles, Avon, etc. You guys really think its worth the money for just ocassional use?

Don't pay attention to the website prices, call Jim directly. Also, his show prices are a heck of a deal. I Recently paid 1000.00 for my 270 tender.

Don’t think Jim has updated the website in years, those prices would shock anyone.
    My guess is he’ll give you close to the show price but will have to wait for delivery.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default This holds four LARGE guys and gear

Get a cheap one, ($700 range) they all work great and hold a ton! This one holds four guys and a bunch of guns and gear no problem! Don't get something that is way expensive unless it's your dedicated vessel for your particular trip. It's a beach dinghy, there tough enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default baltik boats $500-$700

Check out affordable inflatables, they even have a store on ebay. Great bang for the buck on a nice boat. You can't go wrong in the 8.5' size, 70-ish pounds.

Costco has some small inflatables for ~$780. I had one last year, and it was a good little boat for the $.

Smile Thanks

Good info from all of you guys. Thanks, advice much appreciated.

I struggled with this a couple years back and wound up getting an Achilles 230 air floor(7'7"). It's a wonderful, robust boat (hypalon) but it cost me $1250. Whenever people ask I mention these http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_boat_sd230.asp . Even though they're PVC they seem like a great deal. I didn't know about them when I purchased my own inflatable and I wonder if I would've jumped. I'm convinced that a properly cared for PVC boat may be the right solution for those guys who don't plan on keeping them for 20 years or more.

Exclamation Made up my mind

I came home today with an Achilles LT2. Its 7'3 long and weighs about 38 lbs. Hard bottom and not that I am planning on motoring with it...will hold a 3 hp outboard. Filled it up and threw her up on top of the SeaSport. Looks alot smaller up there, but I am confident its all I need for at least a couple of years. It fits on the roof just right without hangout over the back or obstructing vision over the windshield. That feature was really the most important to me. I like as much room to work in the boat as possible, hate working around things. Thanks again everyone. Great input!
    Taking 2 of my boys out in the Sound for a couple of nights this weekend and will probably get the chance to try it out.

Default For MEYERS

What's your inflatable boat brand please?

Default Tender Motor

How are the folks who are using motors with their dinghys storing their engine? I see a lot of boats with dinghy's on top, but don't see the motors. To my untrained eye, it seems like it would be awkward/nearly impossible to have it mounted to the dinghy while on top of the boat. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    How are the folks who are using motors with their dinghys storing their engine? I see a lot of boats with dinghy's on top, but don't see the motors. To my untrained eye, it seems like it would be awkward/nearly impossible to have it mounted to the dinghy while on top of the boat. Thanks.
    Mine rides on a bracket that is welded to the stern of my boat. It works well. I make certain to tie the motor to a cleat as I lift it off or on the tender. I would hate to lose my grip and have it slip.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Mine rides on a bracket that is welded to the stern of my boat. It works well. I make certain to tie the motor to a cleat as I lift it off or on the tender. I would hate to lose my grip and have it slip.
    OH! Good idea! I have thought about using my little kicker for my dingy but have been affraid of dropping it.

Default Plan to use my kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    How are the folks who are using motors with their dinghys storing their engine?
    We don't have our dinghy yet. Hoping for next spring (an 8 ft inflatable from Costco). But our plan is to use our kicker if we actually need a motor. If we are close to shore we would just row in. As someone here said I would tie off our kicker before transferring to the dinghy.

I have the 2hp Honda. I think it weighs 26 lbs, and it is pretty easy to lift on and off. I would not even think about putting the raft on the roof with it still attached. The raft us 50 lbs, and bulky enough without a motor on it. Mine stores on a bracket on the transom as well, so it is pretty easy to get to the dingy from the swim step. Here is a shot that shows them all stored.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Smile Achilles worked good

I used the Achilles LT2 (raft that started this thread) each and every trip to the Sound last summer. Easy to pull off and put back on top of cabin by one person (Always better with 2) but no problem for one. Do not feel the need for outboard yet, we were able to achor and row every where we needed
    or wanted to go. Collecting mussels on the beach and turned around to see blackie with my binoculars in his mouth and his foot on the raft! A loud yell prompted him to drop the glasses and make a quick exit. Other than that, I love the raft and seems it plenty heavy duty. Rows easily with 2 people, bucket and clam rake aboard. Glad I picked it over one of the cheaper makes and models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast