Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Cover?

Default Rifle Cover?

I am curious if most of you use waterproof rifle covers in a downpour? If so, which one would you recommend that is light weight and effective?

Kifaru make a pretty good one. i dont have any pics, but im sure you can find some if you google it. its 2 pieces. good luck!!

Are you joking me.......It's a TOOL. If it is Black Powder, well O.K. cover good. Otherwise if your "TOOL" needs a rain cover, you need a different tool, or a different HOBBY, Because Real Men don't put panties, or rain covers on their rifle.

Default rifle shop bill!

Hopeak, I guess I'm not kidding! I have taken my rifle/scope to a rifle shop on several occasions because of all the debris, dust, etc that has gotten into the action, scope, and moving parts! I don't know about you, but my rifle and scope are a pretty big investment and my life-blood on hunts. The more precautions and the better I take care of it the better it will likely perform at crunch time!

I have to agree with you that 80 to 95% of the time I don't have my rifle in a case while hunting but when on an ATV in mud and dust as well as other situations a simple case has done a great job of saving a trip or 2 to the rifle shop!

Don't have a pretty rifle.......this is not personal, so please don't take it that way. If you live in a 8'X8' Bomb shelter from Aug. 7'th till Oct. 24'th on the Alaska Peninsula, working in the mud, the blood, torrential rains, and 100 plus MPH winds, you wash your rifle in the lake or creek, you rinse it by pouring old warm coffee on it, and go to work 18 hours a day, and 6 hours per night chasing brown bears out of camp.
    When you come home after 75 days with no shower, you take a hot shower, "WITH" your rifle, stand it in the furnace room, when its dry, hose it down with flat black paint, let it dry. And pack for Kodiak.
    Hunting is hunting, the rifle is a "TOOL". Keep your pretty firearm, at home. Build you a good Mauser with a 3-Position wing safety and get muddy and bloody. Not personal, just advise from a old Professional with 53 years of packing a rifle. 40 of that all over Alaska and still packing an Ugly but Reliable Rifle.

No cover for me except the gun boot on the wheeler and a barrel nipple. I do carry mine in a eberlestock pack scabard often enough but it is more for convienence.

Yes, I do use electrical tape over the muzzel.....forgot about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Don't have a pretty rifle.......this is not personal, so please don't take it that way. If you live in a 8'X8' Bomb shelter from Aug. 7'th till Oct. 24'th on the Alaska Peninsula, working in the mud, the blood, torrential rains, and 100 plus MPH winds, you wash your rifle in the lake or creek, you rinse it by pouring old warm coffee on it, and go to work 18 hours a day, and 6 hours per night chasing brown bears out of camp.
    When you come home after 75 days with no shower, you take a hot shower, "WITH" your rifle, stand it in the furnace room, when its dry, hose it down with flat black paint, let it dry. And pack for Kodiak.
    Hunting is hunting, the rifle is a "TOOL". Keep your pretty firearm, at home. Build you a good Mauser with a 3-Position wing safety and get muddy and bloody. Not personal, just advise from a old Professional with 53 years of packing a rifle. 40 of that all over Alaska and still packing an Ugly but Reliable Rifle.
    So, is this a "no" ?

Default Kifaru

Has one that I have used. Good review...

I have and like a kifaru that I use in certain circumstances, typically just the top half.

Default Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No cover for me except the gun boot on the wheeler and a barrel nipple. I do carry mine in a eberlestock pack scabard often enough but it is more for convienence.
    If I use the wheeler to get into an area, I keep it in the gun boot. From there, I too use my Eberlestock pack w/internal scabard for my Kimber, mainly to carry up the mountain. Once out & ready for use, a barrel cot (mini-condom ) is used to keep anything out from the barrel. Please ensure you remove said "condom" each night to prevent condensation.

One last piece of info, I use regular old Vasoline petroleum jelly on the action & external components of the rifle to prevent moisture related concerns. It's thicker, and really does not allow moisture to accumulate. If it is really dry/dusty, don't use Vasoline, it'll gum up & get dirt/debris into your action/receiver.

To specifically answer the question, no, I don't bag the cannon full time...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

I kind of cracked up when I read condom and vasoline in the same paragragh! Your wife may wonder what the heck you are doing out in the sticks with that combo?

Default nope

Electric tape the muzzle & call it good.

Only mode of transportation in this kids garage is a truck & some boots in dire need of replacement. If the truck didn't make me money from time to time, I'd trade it in on a new pair of boots!

IF I was boating, flying, or riding I'd have it in a case. Only time mine see's a case is in the truck or when I sadly put it to rest when the gubment says season is over for the winter.

Default the 'ol hammer

Agree with Hopeak and rdklinak...

My 'ol pop was a carpenter and he had a favorite hammer that looked, ah, "well used".

I'm a guide and I have a favorite guide gun, "the 'ol hammer", or "big ugly". It looks, ah, well used.

During the season the big hole in the end of the barrel gets covered with tape, any type of tape. The bore and action get liberally sprayed with whatever gun oil or WD-40 is available whenever I have the oil/WD-40 and when I have the time. If a client cleans his rifle, I'll generally allow him to run a patch through the bore and barrel.

Sometime after the end of the season I completely disassemble everything during a NFL game and properly clean "big ugly" as if it were a your $5000.00 darling baby (rifle). Why pay a gun shop to do what you can do yourself?

Like Hopeak said, it is a tool, much like my fathers hammer.
    Alder brush scars, rock dings, worn blueing and little areas of rust...and it still shoots better than I do.

Re-blueing? I don't need no stinking blueing! Leave them pretty guns, them Texas high stand guns, at home...coming to AK bring a killing tool, that can take the abuse of being used as a walking staff.

So if you feel you need a rifle cover on a sheep hunt, or on any hunt, then carry another trash bag.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    I kind of cracked up when I read condom and vasoline in the same paragragh! Your wife may wonder what the heck you are doing out in the sticks with that combo?
    I said I climb the mountain to hunt sheep, not sleep with them!

I may be from Montana, and I do have a broke back, but let's not go there... Filthy minds...

I can hear it now, broke back heading up the mountain with condoms & vasoline. FYI~ I always sleep on my back, & now, since somebody had to be Mr. Funny, I will now have my hand clutching my rifle! Be cautious when approaching my tent!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default Just thought of a joke ....

but I can't bring myself to put it in print...... but it has something to do with Montana ranchers and hip boots.....

and that's all I have to say about that for now.....

I apologize... but I couldn't resist, I really couldn't...

I'm hoping that Montana Sheep hunters are different than the ranchers!!!

(almost in tears as I type this.......)
    Last edited by rdklinak; 06-17-2009 at 00:18. Reason: adding txt

Default Ranching & Farming

These are two different animals... I prefer the hunting to ranching, too easy to sneak up on domestic sheep

To not hijack or misdirect thread, there was a company making plastic zip bag type scabards, completely waterproof. Anyone remember who this is?

Default "baggies"

I have some of the humongous ziplock baggies sold in the camping section if I remember right that would work as a super light "keep it dry & out of the dust" if one was looking for something like that.

Yes, they're cheap. But they're fairly tough and the "zippers" are strong enough to hold 160 pounds of me standing on them when the bag is fairly full of air.

This one is a few more bucks but protects from all the elements and floats as well.
    I use it in the skiff deer hunting, I leave it behind when I hunt, but keeps the salt off while running. EZ in and out and quiet
    http://www.nomaralaska.com/gunscabbard.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post

So if you feel you need a rifle cover on a sheep hunt, or on any hunt, then carry another trash bag.

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    No doubt!! Head to the garage and save yourself some dough on a "cover"....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast