Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: New Research, Load Development-Accuracy & Terminal Results

  1. #1

    Default New Research, Load Development-Accuracy & Terminal Results

    I will begin a new research, load development, accuracy potential and terminal results on game - this project starting the end of June and running till January of 2010 with a .45 Cal Side lock percussion custom muzzle loader with a 31" barrel and 1 & 18" twist, uniform bore with slight choke at end of barrel with the octagon barrel rounded at the end for the bullet guide.

    Here are the bullets that will be involved in my testing as well as writing some articles concerning my findings and results from range to the field.


    Paper patch bullets:
    Starting from left to right:
    210gr FN, 250gr FN, 280gr FN, 285gr HP, 325gr, 350gr HP, 355gr RN, 410gr FN, 500gr HP



    Sabot bullets:

    Starting from left to right:
    240gr FN, 275gr FN, 300gr FN, 305gr FN



    Plain base bullets:

    Starting from left to right:
    Ball, 250gr FN, 260gr FN, 325gr FN



    Here are some early results to give you some idea of the direction I will be taking but require retesting in my 31" barrel with 1 & 18" twist.

    100gr Charges of FFFg Triple Seven

    285gr Paper patch 1875fps
    275gr Sabot 1897fps
    300gr Sabot 1855fps
    350gr Paper patch 1830fps


    Here is a picture of all the bullets to be used giving the .45 Cal a great deal of versatility.

    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2

    Default

    Bullets line up:


    In stead of a false muzzle to make sure the bullets are lined up perfectly, we will be using a unique bullet guide that I will describe later this year when I write the first article, but here is a picture of it.



    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Bullets line up:


    In stead of a false muzzle to make sure the bullets are lined up perfectly, we will be using a unique bullet guide that I will describe later this year when I write the first article, but here is a picture of it.




    I'm looking forward to your results! I've always been fascinated with long bullets in any gun and with paper patch bullets. The combo has always seemed like a sure winner, but I haven't had the gumption to arrange a really fast twist barrel for a muzzleloader. You're doing the right thing I think in starting with one so fast. And the bullet guide looks equally intriguing. In truth the need for false muzzles or some alternative has been the sincere fly in my particular ointment, experimental interest or not.

    I've gone "the other way" in muzzleloaders in recent years, progressing to larger and larger diameters for more killing power. At present 50 caliber is my "small bore" hunting rifle. After that I have two 54 cals, four 58 calibers, and I'm currently working out the wrinkles in a 75 caliber. It's a fascinating trail to follow, but it does nothing to tame my urge to pursue long bullets and paper patching in faster twists. Just like you're doing!

    Thanks for your planned experiments and reports.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm looking forward to your results! I've always been fascinated with long bullets in any gun and with paper patch bullets. The combo has always seemed like a sure winner, but I haven't had the gumption to arrange a really fast twist barrel for a muzzleloader. You're doing the right thing I think in starting with one so fast. And the bullet guide looks equally intriguing. In truth the need for false muzzles or some alternative has been the sincere fly in my particular ointment, experimental interest or not.

    I've gone "the other way" in muzzleloaders in recent years, progressing to larger and larger diameters for more killing power. At present 50 caliber is my "small bore" hunting rifle. After that I have two 54 cals, four 58 calibers, and I'm currently working out the wrinkles in a 75 caliber. It's a fascinating trail to follow, but it does nothing to tame my urge to pursue long bullets and paper patching in faster twists. Just like you're doing!

    Thanks for your planned experiments and reports.
    You are welcome and it is my pleasure for sure. We have already driven a 500gr paper patch at 1475-1500fps. So far one of my favorites is the 350gr paper patch at 1830fps and also the 410gr at 1750fps. The twist is what the great gunsmiths of the mid to late 1800's said was the optimum twist for the .45 cal. I will begin in a week are so for the official verification trial period of everything we have developed for all our work and then this fall hunt with it. There will be three phases or levels of attention.

    1. The reasoning for the rifle as designed, bullets used and how it all came about.

    2. The Accuracy potential and versatility of bullet selection and need for only one side lock percussion in the field to hunt small to large game.

    3. The terminal results of these bullets on game due to their velocities and momentum.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  5. #5

    Default

    My project is to prove that the cap lock percussion rifle can be and is more efficient than the modern in-liner's of today. My research is historical and accurate and allows us to keep the tradition of the 1800's alive and duplicates the experiments of those days. Initial results are very encouraging and are truly and eye opener
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    My project is to prove that the cap lock percussion rifle can be and is more efficient than the modern in-liner's of today. My research is historical and accurate and allows us to keep the tradition of the 1800's alive and duplicates the experiments of those days. Initial results are very encouraging and are truly and eye opener
    When you look back to the era of the caplock, lots of experimenting was undertaken to improve range and performance on game. Basically the caplock was killed off by the ease of cartridge guns more than the ballistics of the self-contained rounds first offered. Heck, most of those early cartridges couldn't come close to the performance of good caplocks.

    To me it feels like you're picking up where caplocks stopped, following a logical path that would probably have been pursued if the cartridge hadn't come along. And I think that's a really worthy pursuit!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    When you look back to the era of the caplock, lots of experimenting was undertaken to improve range and performance on game. Basically the caplock was killed off by the ease of cartridge guns more than the ballistics of the self-contained rounds first offered. Heck, most of those early cartridges couldn't come close to the performance of good caplocks.

    To me it feels like you're picking up where caplocks stopped, following a logical path that would probably have been pursued if the cartridge hadn't come along. And I think that's a really worthy pursuit!
    My feeling exactly Brown Bear, leaving off where they stopped and I will keep you informed as things go along but will do it in PM messages as not to let out the info publicly until I have written my articles. Sent you a PM
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  8. #8

    Default

    The heat index is 105 and will be for a while. The humidity is 90% and even at day break you stand and sweat. So, until there is a break in the heat and humidity I will have to wait to start my project. Here is a few pictures of the bullet guide, rifle, muzzle crown, range ram rod, chamber scraper.

    From top to bottom - bullet guide, rifle, range ram rod, and chamber scraper






    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  9. #9

    Default

    More pics:






    Muzzle crown serves three purposes - 1. To protect the muzzle, 2. To make the pouring of powder easier. 3. The rounded end is to hold the bullet guide in place.


    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.
    Posts
    120

    Default

    I love the way that brass sight looks and fits.

    Long live the caplock !

    If you don't mind my asking, "how is the barrel choked, is it all taper or does it have some parallel, ad what does it accomplish?"

  11. #11

    Default

    I've been meaning to ask about the length and make of that barrel Beartooth. The smithwork looks top notch.

  12. #12
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Sounds like a fascinating project, Beartooth. I can't see the pics since they are blocked on this computer, but I will follow along anyway. I am planning on doing a couple of project caplocks with my son as a homeschool project and I may decide to go with .45 and the same twist. a 500 grain projectile at 1500 FPS should be adequate for moose inside of 75 yards.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  13. #13

    Default

    The fit and finish is great and the machine work is great as far as crown and fitting of sights and so on. The project is canceled as of now!!!! I could not get under 3" groups with any of my bullets at 100yds. I feel it is with the boring of the rifle that there is a problem, it is not perfectly straight.

    There has to be a new barrel bored, cut and lapped out of a new blank of steel. So, don't know when that will take place. To say the least my friend is upset and I am disappointed. I am really disappointed, because if the rifle had preformed well and I wrote the article the rifle was to be mine free of charge. Oh, well, I have had worse things happen to me but I am truly sorry and feel bad for my friend.

    He has made four of these and they shot great and made this one for the project and article. This rifle was made from scratch, that is what makes this a disappointing event. As I said, I don't know when we will get to start this up again. Buy the way it drove a 270gr sabot bullet at 1900fps with only 100grs of Tripple Seven FFFg. If he puts together another one and the barrel is right, it sure would be cool. I shipped the rifle back yesterday morning.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm really sorry to hear that it worked out that way. I think you're onto something and was looking forward to your results. Keep us posted when you get the replacement and can go back to work. I'm kinda amazed the smith let it slip through his cracks, especially when the project involved production of that bullet starter.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Would love to see your pic's but they are blocked.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •