Thread: .22 CB caps and shorts

Default .22 CB caps and shorts

I'm wanting to shoot in our yard (we're on 3 acres) but don't want to annoy or scare the neighbors. I was wondering if any of you had experience with CB Caps and could say how the noise level is with a smaller boy sized rifle. I've read some of them aren't any louder than an air rifle. The lower the velocity the better. I saw some mexican ammo that goes around 500 fps, but they advise against using that in anything but a handgun. Any thoughts? Thanks....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Default BB & CB Caps

I've used BB (ball) and CB (conical ball) caps for many years for displacing pests - mainly pigeons - in urban setting. Basically they are just a round or short bullet sitting on top of a primed short case. Noise in a rifle is about like a pump up pellet gun; in a pistol it is a bit louder. Both killed pigeons about like a standard .22 LR but on a larger animal like a squirrel or rat they may not be as effective.

If I recall CCI is making the CB caps and perhaps a CB cap in a longer case. Most of the stuff I shot was from Europe where both are popular. I ran accross a box of CCI CB rounds the other day - I need to find them again.

Accuracy is acceptable for my purpose but in most cases you are shooting a short in a long rifle chamber - they may shoot a bit better than high speed shorts. Like always try them in your gun and see how they shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I'm wanting to shoot in our yard (we're on 3 acres) but don't want to annoy or scare the neighbors. I was wondering if any of you had experience with CB Caps and could say how the noise level is with a smaller boy sized rifle. I've read some of them aren't any louder than an air rifle. The lower the velocity the better. I saw some mexican ammo that goes around 500 fps, but they advise against using that in anything but a handgun. Any thoughts? Thanks....Louis
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I live smack dab in the middle of a residential area. The houses on our block are maybe a hundred feet appart. All of my neighbors are elderly and most of them are big into gardening....all but one that is. That nieghbor has bird feeders and ears of corn hanging off of everything he owns. He draws in lots of critters for me to off. He aint real popular with the gardening folk but I am! Smile! I don't shoot em in his yard but I do if they are a foot off the line and he ain't looking!

Above my garage walk in door are ditto marks for all of the raggits and squirrels that I have plunked with an old Savage Stevens 22 that also hangs above the door. The box of shells sitting on the door jam are CCI 22 CB longs. I have also used Remington CB's with the same success. The level of noise they make gets less as the length of barrel gets longer. My gun has a 22 inch barrel and sounds like a pellet gun. The talley marks above the door are over a hundred and the only time the police did a drive by was when I ran plumb out of CB's and substituted with Remington "Subsonic" ammo. I'm here to tell ya they ain't subsonic and the dip ***** was out filling his bird feeders when I kilt one of his beloved raggits! OOPS! He didn't see me but I recon he heard it. When the police saw it was just me they just waived and wandered off to catch a real criminal (I gave generously to the local Policeman's Association)! No trouble since and that was alot of critters ago.

The old Remington 514's and 510's and some other guns of that era have real long barrels up to 26 inches and they are the best CB guns as ya can hardly hear them.

This is just my opinion. The neighborswill eventually find out no matter what ammo you are using. Just explain to them that you are putting up a 22 range, invite them to take a look so they can see that it is safe and no danger to them.

I think most people will be fine with that. If they are big anti-gunners, no matter what you do they will look for some way of making your life difficult.

I've shot a boatload of these things and the noise level is comparable to an air rifle when shot through a longer barrel. My first choice for dispatching neighborhood vermin without disrupting the populace.

A CB "Short" will cycle through repeaters designed for .22 Shorts and through most marked S/L/LR. The regular CBs are basically a single feed affair in almost anything but work well in single shots and revolvers albeit a might louder in the revolver.

I always keep a few boxes of these on hand.

I've used the mexican ones and they are pellet gun quiet in a pistol. In a rifle you can barely hear them, but, if the barrel is very long they may not make it out the end. They have a 20gr bullet and only the primer mix for propellant. If you son has a short barrel rifle like a chipmunk or such they may work. I also shoot rem shorts from a savage 410/22 OU and they are about pellet gun quiet

I am in a subdivision here in GA. I just use my .177 pellet gun and don't worry about using a "firearm" in the city limits. I paid about $30 a few years ago for the gun and got the green-dot sight from Cabelas for $19.95 a year ago or so. Works great. Range is short due to low power on the pellet gun, but I lure the tree rats in with my sunflower seed feeder.

I have it on good authority that you can kill a cat in the driveway with 22 CBs and the kids in the house won't even notice....until a few days later when they realize they haven't seen the cat in awhile.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default City Bullets

I know this isn't what CB stands for but that is what we use to call them back in Michigan. I had more fun sniping varmints with those little bullets than most other hunting. Neighbors were never the wiser, whether they would have cared or not they never knew. I still hunt with them quite a bit for small game. I like the CCI Longs the best (750 fps). They are quieter than most high powered pellet guns and kill better because of their weight. They are accurate out to 50yds. but I try to never shoot past 30yds. because the loss of power. Rabbits, fox squirrels, possum, raccoons and even ground hogs are no match with a nice head shot. I know I still have as much fun with them as a kid with a BB gun!

I've used the CB's and they really are "pellet-gun quiet" out of a rifle (but not a pistol). I've also used the Remington "Subsonic" LR ammo, and they ain't quiet!

I've got a tin of imported European BB caps. Been a few years since I've used them, but I seem to remember they were a little more noisey than the CB's I've used, but not by much.

I'd say stick with the CB's, and you'll be happy with them...

Recently I've had my eye on getting one of them new-fangled pellet guns with the higher velocity (1000-1200fps). Compared to 22, the ammo is cheap, and you can mail-order it to your door. In fact, now that it's been mentioned, I know what I want for Christmas!...

Marshall/Ak

Default .22 shorts

I used to use .22 shorts and they were fine--no noticeable noise and plenty accurate. I believe they were 29 grain bullets--I'm having trouble finding them these days--most places only have long rifle,if that. My dad says that back when he was a youngster,he used to prefer shorts for picking off ducks on the ponds as the other ducks would not even fly away due to the low report.

Inherent Advantage

The Marlin 39 fed CB's(BB's are too short and bobble),is as quiet as you can go,without a can.

Shorts are quite a bit louder.

Just for grins, I got out a box of 22 long CB's yesterday, set up a small piece of 2X6 spruce lumber out at about 75 yards, and let fly with about 25 rounds, just to see what they'd do at that distance. The 22LR high velocity rounds will hit dead on at that distance from my scoped rifle, but almost all of the CB's hit about 6" to 8" lower. Furthermore, none of the rounds would penetrate the wood...most went in about 1/2" to 1" and stopped. Not much power. Still....had it been a rabbit or squirrel, I think it would've been a dead one. Not sure what the muzzle velocity is, but I'd guess somewhere around 700-800 fps.

Because of the low velocity and arched trajectory, I think shooting with CB's is best done at under 50 yards. (preferably less)

Marshall/Ak

Default City bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    Just for grins, I got out a box of 22 long CB's yesterday, set up a small piece of 2X6 spruce lumber out at about 75 yards, and let fly with about 25 rounds, just to see what they'd do at that distance. The 22LR high velocity rounds will hit dead on at that distance from my scoped rifle, but almost all of the CB's hit about 6" to 8" lower. Furthermore, none of the rounds would penetrate the wood...most went in about 1/2" to 1" and stopped. Not much power. Still....had it been a rabbit or squirrel, I think it would've been a dead one. Not sure what the muzzle velocity is, but I'd guess somewhere around 700-800 fps.

Because of the low velocity and arched trajectory, I think shooting with CB's is best done at under 50 yards. (preferably less)

Marshall/Ak
    Yes, these little guys are very limited and specialized on what they can do, if you look hard you can watch them in the air. No, they will not replace standard velocity rounds but they were never designed to. The .22 is quite versatile shooting the City Bullets at 750fps to the hyper-velocity ones at around 1600fps. One of the .22's I have is the Remington Fieldmaster, a little pump action that shoots shorts, longs and long rifles. The gun was bought strictly for CB's. I put a cheap but useful fixed 4 power Pentax on it with multiple horizontal cross hairs. This helps shooting farther distances with the big drop of the CB's. Good luck, have fun!

Default Aguila 20 grain

the blue and silver boxed without gun powder yup the ones made in mexico shoot just fine out of my winchester model 69 s/l/lr....and it has a 24" barrel never had any problems with them not making it to the target!!!! and i have shot at least two cases posted this just in case anyone was worrying about them getting stuck!!!!
    Shoot on!!!
    OBA

I have shot the super and the regular from about a dozen of my 22's. Some guns do stick the projectile in the barrel, some do not. I also shot the laser bore sighter out of my 10/22 with one. Do not try that one! Performance varies with the Colibri, so be careful!