Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greyling: What flys work best for them?

Arrow Greyling: What flys work best for them?

Hi again everyone!

So yeah I was going out hiking to symphony lake, or rather I am planning to for my birthday that is coming up, I figure I could do an overnight camp, fish a little and overall have a good time. But I was wondering a few things. What kind of flies work best for grayling in the anchorage area? I was thinking that I could try some trout flies and see if they bite, but I rather get an informed answer than random guessing.

Anyone feel like giving some input?

Well it depends. Most of the time nymph paterns work well, but I would take some dry flies and a few flashier flies as well.

Up here on the Chena River Blue duns and Griffiths Gnat are a sure thing. The good ol' Gold Ribbed Hares Ear works pretty well.

Wink Grayling flies

I have found that a dark elk hair caddis and the good old adams work wonders for dry flies. A black, brown or olive gold beadhead leech and scud patterns work very well for the wet stuff. But please pinch your barbs down if your are catch and release on these fish since they have such a soft delicate mouth. Have fun and tight lines.

When I fish grayling streams around my property that also have white fish.....I use very small flys. I like to use tiny little white elk hair cadiss. The white color makes them easy to spot in the low light hours when the white fish are sipping the surface all over the place. The grayling grab em up too. The elk hair is good rough water fly material as is deer hair. In some grayling streams....the grayling hit what ever fly you throw to them both wet and dry.

Blue Duns and Bead Headed Nymphs, Size 14
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Grayling

I second nymphs and any type of dry fly, never had a problem with grayling not taking any fly I have shown them. Also try the lake just before you get to the boulder field to get to symphony. Bring black leechs, Have caught some fish out of that little body of water. (its the small pond not hte big lake off to the left)

Trout

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Try stoneflies...

...I always carry 1 or 2. The stonefly nymphs in this thread (below) and photo (post#3) covered an old sweatshirt we found in the river (Upper Gulkana). I think stonefly nymph patterns, some in small sizes (3/4") are underappreciated for Grayling, and Rainbows. On my last two trips to the Upper Gulkana, stonefly patterns caught the largest Grayling of the trip.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=32781

Good luck.

Chernoble ant w/ wings works great if the greyling are big enough. Used one on the ivashak in august Worked better then anything else in the box.

My go to is usually a copper jon, using the green, red, black, and of course copper variations on this stonefly scheme. that said, almost any nymph can work. For dries my standard is an elk hair caddis but ants, midges, and pmd's work as well.

Default +1 Copper John

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    My go to is usually a copper jon, using the green, red, black, and of course copper variations on this stonefly scheme. that said, almost any nymph can work. For dries my standard is an elk hair caddis but ants, midges, and pmd's work as well.
    Good point. Last year, Copper John was the fly that got things started for us after 2 slow days. After my favorite leeches, even Prince Nymphs -- a small, #10 or #12 maybe CJ worked...and kept working. I restocked over the winter and won't leave home without a few anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Good point. Last year, Copper John was the fly that got things started for us after 2 slow days. After my favorite leeches, even Prince Nymphs -- a small, #10 or #12 maybe CJ worked...and kept working. I restocked over the winter and won't leave home without a few anymore.
    Agreed
    I have found the cj to be the most versatile nymph in AK (and elsewhere for that matter). When the bows and dollies out in Bristol Bay fill up in august on eggs and flesh and get picky at times....you can usually still tease them into taking copper john to salvage the day.

Also work well in spring for rainbows when they are a wee cold and lethargic....they'll still sip one of these off the drift when the leeches and flesh are a bit much.

I always carry a dozen of a few colors....plus they are heavy and get down very well to cover all kinds of water with a floating line.

Bead Head prince and griffiths gnat. If you tie your own tie the griffiths gnat with oversized grizzly hackle. I tie mine with hackle at least as long as the hook shank, makes a big disturbance in the water , grayling cant stay off of them.

Default don't forget the mice

Lots of grayling studies have found shrews inside grayling stomachs. You may not knock the snot out of them on it, but a small mouse pattern can be a lot fo fun even if for the slashes from grayling attempting to take em. Especially if you are in an area with decent sized fish.

Just wanted to let everyone know. The trail to symphony lake is closed at the moment. Might want to check with the park service to find out if it's open before heading out. We were going to hike up there yesterday. Saw the signs on Hiland rd. Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by TOMCOD View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know. The trail to symphony lake is closed at the moment. Might want to check with the park service to find out if it's open before heading out. We were going to hike up there yesterday. Saw the signs on Hiland rd. Bummer
    DOH'!!

thanks for the heads up. I was planning on heading out there soon.

Anyone have a number or a website to find out beforehand if its going to be open??
    thanks.

Default Olive beadhead woolly bugger

Olive beadhead woolly bugger is my favorite grayling fly. I fish the middle column usually with a 7.5' leader of 2-3x. This works well and I find the grayling will take bigger flies than it would seem like. Most my fishing in NW Alaska is for dollies and the grayling will hit anything I am throwing for the dollies. If specifically going for grayling, I would want #4-6 beadhead olive woolly buggers. But the #2 in the lower right of the below pic consistently take grayling for me as well.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've never seen a grayling I couldn't catch with a Salcha Pink.

Of course on streams with salmon runs, egg patterns work well.
    Now what ?

I just caught one with a prince nymph earlier this week in trail river.

Default Trail Closure

I didn't think the trail itself was closed. They are re-doing the parking lot right now, there is no access to the trailhead. I've been told you can bushwack right around the construction and get on the trail, or nicely ask the construction workers if you can go through and they might just let you through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast