Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remington core-lokt bullets

Default remington core-lokt bullets

So with moose season coming up this fall, I've been shooting remington 270 grain core-lokt bullets in my 375 for years, they were always quite a bit cheaper than the noslers and failsafes etc, and grouped extremely well in my rifle. The last time I hunted moose though, I used some handloads with barnes X bullets and they of course worked great. I haven't had the time or $ to get back into handloading but I have several boxes of the 270 grain corelokts in the house that I have used on caribou and black bear and even a small grizz and they worked great.

Do I need to make a change for a moose hunt this fall? Anyone have any really negative experiences with corelokt bullets? I figure what I lose in quality bullet construction I make up for in mass (375 H&H 270 gr) and accuracy.

I know core-lokt bullets have been filling freezers for years (mine included), but just wanted to throw the topic out there for discussion. Thanks.

bobble

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So with moose season coming up this fall, I've been shooting remington 270 grain core-lokt bullets in my 375 for years, they were always quite a bit cheaper than the noslers and failsafes etc, and grouped extremely well in my rifle. The last time I hunted moose though, I used some handloads with barnes X bullets and they of course worked great. I haven't had the time or $ to get back into handloading but I have several boxes of the 270 grain corelokts in the house that I have used on caribou and black bear and even a small grizz and they worked great.

Do I need to make a change for a moose hunt this fall? Anyone have any really negative experiences with corelokt bullets? I figure what I lose in quality bullet construction I make up for in mass (375 H&H 270 gr) and accuracy.

I know core-lokt bullets have been filling freezers for years (mine included), but just wanted to throw the topic out there for discussion. Thanks.

bobble
    I've never had a problem with them in any caliber. And perhaps not coincidentally, the 375 H&H 270-grain Corelokt factory load is the prefered combo of virtually every bear guide I know. They've been working right for them for a lot of years, and they don't see any reason to change to something "better." Moose? No prob.

Although not usually identified as a "premium" bullet, Rrm Core-lokts perform well on game. Moose are really not that hard to kill, the Core-lokts will work fine.

Thanks fellas, and my wallet thanks you too

Like I said, I had used them for years, but I guess a little reassurance was in order for this upcoming season. You can't beat accuracy, and they shoot excellent in my rifle, which is a model 70 with a 21" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

bobble
    Core-lokt, without question one of, if not the best, performing bullets I've seen - regardless of caliber.
    Joe (Ak)

Default not the biggest fan

from what i have seen both as a guide and hunter the corelock tends to bust up upon hitting anything hard (bone),yes it will kill big game,but i much perfer a bullet that i can trust to go through bone and retain itself.

Default if it ain't broke...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not a fan of coreloks, after using them in a 6mm and seeing the bullet lose half its mass going through a deer, and getting a flyer once in a while. I've been a huge fan of Federal Premium Nosslers in that gun. That said, if you like the coreloks, they shoot great in your rifle, and you can't afford the spendier rounds, stick with what you know. Your miles ahead if you have faith in your rifle and round.

TRUE STORY: My buddy shoots a buck with a 30-06 at 200 yards. The buck drops, 150 class animal. Lights a smoke and 2 minutes later, the buck gets up and runs away. He was shooting Rem. coreloks bullets. They search area and no buck. One week later, the guy who's lease it is, shoots a wounded buck. This buck was running on three legs chasing 3 does. This 150 class buck was shot by my buddy in the base of the neck where it meets the shoulder. The buck was missing its shoulder blade and the hide around it. Gain green was present so only the head was saved. This buck was going to die, only the rut kept him going. My buddy will NEVER use coreloks again. This should have been a dead deer. His shot was on the mark. I have e-mail pictures of the carcass and bullet entry and exit, I don't know how to post them.

I had a 270 GR Rem Corelok 375 H&H come apart on a Brown Bear head shot. About 15 yards shot it 2" back on bridge of nose, bullet hit an alder branch first about 3/4" bullet fragmented and fragments were found both sides of skull on caping. Saw bear go down then get back up pretty impressive. Early 80,s

Default Good Bullet

I have no experience with the larger caliber Core-Lokt's but I'd wager that more deer sized game has been killed with this bullet than all of the others put together. I used them exclusively before I started handloading my own and if I was limited to only Core-Lokt bullets I would feel confident that they would do the job that I called on them to do as they have in the past. Are there better bullets? I think so but depending on the shot location and velocity one could say that about any bullet. For awhile the hunting world loved the Nosler Ballistic Tips. If you read some of the forums now you would think that NOTHING would be killed with one. I'm glad that the deer that I shot with BT's didn't read those forums!

In about 2000 in Ont, hunting behind hounds a 386 pounder was wounded with a 30-30 a few minutes later the quide and i find him fighting the dogs on his back in a depression, he rolls takes off, the quide is between the bear and i. I hand him my 375 as i don't have a safe shot he shoots it at about 25 feet in the head with a 270 corelock. The bear dropped but the bullet never exited. The same hunt my brother shot a treed 200 pounder with a 180 grain corelock and and same thing, dead bear but no exit through the head. I have shot through 2 trees, and into the third with 300 grain partitions.

In 2008 Michigan's UP one of the hunters in our bear camp shot a 250# plus black bear at 55 yards with his 180grain RN Remington Core-Lokt 30-06 factory load. Bullet struck the bear quartering away in the last rib, angled forward through both lungs, broke the off shoulder and exited with about a 1 1/2 inch hole. Bear dropped on the spot. Great shot and great bullet performance. Two days before I shot a 232# bear, classic broadside shot at 60 yards with my 30-06 handloaded 180 grain Speer Mag Tip. Bullet entered right behind the shoulder, broke one rib on entry, passed through both lungs, broke three ribs on exit with a 1 inch hole. Bear ran 200 yards and took us about forty five minutes to blood trail. Great shot, and devestating bullet performance but a very tough bear. Is the Core-Lokt a better bullet than the Speer Mag Tip? I don't think so but the story just goes to show that there are many factors involved with bullet performance. But I guess that dead is dead and both bullets did the job!

Quote Originally Posted by jfisk375 View Post
    I have shot through 2 trees, and into the third with 300 grain partitions.
    If you would have been shooting Core-Lokt's you would have hit the animal instead of missing and hitting three trees!!!!!!

"This should have been a dead deer." Agreed, if it were a LUNG shot!

Default gain green buck

The pictures I have show the entry and exit holes of the coreloks 30-06. The exit picture is shown without the hide on. Shoot almost any animal in the base of the neck and it should die. I don't think enough shock was created to break any arties, but the shoulder blade is blown out. NASTY HOLE! Amazing the bucks will to live and breed.

Thumbs down recommended

target for animals is heart lung shot, & Core Lockt would have done it's job had the shooter chose his target correctly...

"Shoot almost any animal in the base of the neck and it should die."

Are the 270 grain soft point loads from remington even core lokt's?

My box at home doesn't say core lokt, it only says soft point.

Smile Use 'em like they're designed

My understanding is that most of the 'problems' with Core-Lokt bullets come from overdriving them. They're not designed for super high velocities. Put a Core-Lokt designed for the 30-06 through a hotloaded 30-378, and it'll come apart faster than a Fiat strapped to the space shuttle's primary tank.

The 275 grain .375 bullet was designed for the H&H. It tends to work as designed.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    My understanding is that most of the 'problems' with Core-Lokt bullets come from overdriving them. They're not designed for super high velocities. Put a Core-Lokt designed for the 30-06 through a hotloaded 30-378, and it'll come apart faster than a Fiat strapped to the space shuttle's primary tank.

The 275 grain .375 bullet was designed for the H&H. It tends to work as designed.
    May well explain the diversity of observations in this "thread" about the performance of Core-Lokts.
    Thanks
    Joe (Ak)

Default BOO Core lokts

I know that much game has been taken with this bullet including some by myself. But I stopped using them a few years ago after #1 a smaller whitetail that I shot at around 40yds with a 140 factory loaded Core LOkt in a 260 Rem Completely and I mean shotgun blast type wound COMPLETELY blew up on a perfect broadside shot without even touching a rib, deer weighed 98lb dressed. #2 larger buck shot at the base of the tail as he ran straight away, Same load as above, would have been a perfect Texas heart shot if I was using a real bullet, instead hit pelvis and exploded into tiny fragments giving roughly 4" of penetration and leaving a grapefruit sized crater while not anchoring the animal because it did not reach the spine. Range on deer #2 was about 120yds and he was already wounded Though not by me, is the reason I took the questionable shot.

The next year I used Nitrex 140gr Speer Grand slams in that rifle and shot a 128lb buck from 110 yds while he faced straight toward me. Bullet entered at base of the neck and cut 3" of of his tail when it exited, showing the 6.5 cals penetration potential when teamed with a good bullet.

While I have no first hand experience with moose I would say that a box of shells will be a very small expense compared to the overall cost of a hunt. And if you dont use too many sighting in a box has the potential to last quite a few years and quite a few animals.

Just my 2 cents as a premium bullet fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast