Thread: waterproofing boots

Default waterproofing boots

What does everyone use to waterproof boots? I have some tibets and was told by the guy at the store not too use anything cause it would ruin the gortex which made no sense to me. Jus wonderin what everyone uses or if they jus leave the boot as is. also jus bought the wife some la sportiva lhotse looking to do the same thing never hurts to have a lil more protection on the boot.

i have the taller "sheep hunter" version. i use aqueous nikwax on them. it really helps with the leather. i have never heard of it doing anything to the gortex.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    i have the taller "sheep hunter" version. i use aqueous nikwax on them. it really helps with the leather. i have never heard of it doing anything to the gortex.
    I have Kennetrek mountain boots with the "windtex". I use the aqueous wax as well and it is great stuff! It perserves the leather without breaking it down. It also doesn't hurt the "tex". It is also available locally around Anchorage and the Valley. Really in my experience with the high dollar boots like Lowa's you are more worried about preserving the leather than water proofing, that is what the Goretex is for!

sounds good thanks for the help! Now just need to get them out into sheep country and ill be happy

I haven't had luck with any waterproofing agent and I have the exact same boots. Just get used to your feet being wet if you really use your boots because the treatments only last for a couple hours at most if you are putting them through hell.

i use the aqueous Nikwax not to waterproof my foot, but to treat the leather. the tibets as the sheephunters are not full grain leather, (nor the kenetreks) so i feel that nubuck suede needs a little TLC which the Nikwax will provide.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdiggity View Post
    I haven't had luck with any waterproofing agent and I have the exact same boots. Just get used to your feet being wet if you really use your boots because the treatments only last for a couple hours at most if you are putting them through hell.
    I stood in the Knik river for 45 minutes straight working rocks out of my jet foot with narry a leak in my Kennetreks, I have also spent multiple full days wondering around swamps in ankle deep water almost constantly and no leaks. If I purchased Lowa's and they leaked they would be on their way back to the manufacturer

I sent them back after the rand delaminated and told them that they were no longer waterproof. They sent me the boots back shoe-gooed around the rand and with nothing done for waterproofing. The waterproofing lasted for about 2 months and after that there was nothing I could do to get waterproof. I'm going to go with a different manufacturer next time.

Default Granger's Gwax

I went ahead and decided to treat my Hanwags with Granger's Gwax Gortex waterproofing solution. I don't think I needed to but I bought some for the rest of my older training boots so I decided why not. I have heard that you put a layer and then let it dry and repeat with a lighter layer about an hour later.

I have heard that Nikwax aqueous solution is good too.

Another option is sending out for Limmer's boot conditioner. Limmer boots are custom hunting boots that are north of Lowa prices but south of Van Gorkums.
    They have a boot conditioner that works extremely well with leather hunting/mountaineering boots. You can find their web site at www.limmerboot.com. It is an interesting site nonetheless.

They caution that boot treatments can prematurely age your boots. Something about letting the pores of your boots breathe. The Hanwag website sells granger's gwax boot treatment but you can also get it from Beaver's Sports or other shops. It is cheaper to get online.

I have used snoseal to treat boots and while people say that it isn't the best I do feel that it can extend the life of boots by softening them and still treating them.

Nikwax is coming on strong on the advertising scene and is a good product according to most sources including the Complete Walker IV. Its new products are really highly rated by many mountaineering and climbing forums.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

another option that comes highly recommended that I will be trying this fall: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/dress...rpreserve.html

After some research this is what was recommended to me and i find the product works great.

Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP

100% beeswax. Heat the boot up and apply as much as the leather will absorb. I've used in on my last two pairs of boots and have been very happy with it.

Alaska Cub posted the below on a old Cabela's Meindls thread... I saved the text.. It works... My boots are dry and comfy!

+1 on the Nikiwax treatment. I do 2 coats prior to each season of use. Nikiwax can be bought at most sporting goods stores that sell a large selection of boots. I know sportsmans warehouse carries it. I dont know about the leather on the Canadas but they sell different types of Nikiwax treatments for different leathers. I use the Nubuk stuff on my Meindl Alaska Hunters and it works great. I have yet to have water get to my socks! Wet the outside of the boots down reall well with warm water and start scrubbing the Nikiwax in with the supplied applicator till the boots are soaked with it. Make sure you take your laces out when you do this and make sure the tongue area gets completely treated. Let it dry and do it again. Its been the best treatment I have found and is safe to use with Gore tex liners. Enjoy the new boots , it hurts on the initial purpose($) but you will have them for a long time. Best boots (Meindls) I have ever bought!

Quote Originally Posted by milpol78 View Post
    What does everyone use to waterproof boots? I have some tibets and was told by the guy at the store not too use anything cause it would ruin the gortex which made no sense to me. Jus wonderin what everyone uses or if they jus leave the boot as is. also jus bought the wife some la sportiva lhotse looking to do the same thing never hurts to have a lil more protection on the boot.
    I didn't read everything so I may be repeating, but: Don't use wax base water proofers on goretex. They clog it and it loses its function. Use others like Revivex.

Brett

Default Good boots do not require WPing

Good boots have treated and shrunk leather, adding boot wax and such just wears off in a mile or so.

I have stomped around Alaska for well a few years lets say, all seasons and even waded creeks and slopped along Sept and May snow with leather boots and never treated my boots. In fact, many high end Italian boots (LaSportiva) have a disclaimer saying, adding treatment voids warranty and waterproofing.

I second Obenaufs. It preserves (treats) the leather. It has worked well for me on my Meindl Canadians for years.

Another vote for Obenauf's.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor60 View Post
    After some research this is what was recommended to me and i find the product works great.

Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP

Luv this stuff to. Smoke jumpers use it......

Ron

Default Nikwax

If I remeber correctly, some Nikwax products are actually recommended by GoreTex to use on their products.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I gave up on waterproofing boots.

My wife and I, now use LaCross Insulated rubber boots for hunting trips.

They're high, keep our feet dry, and they've lasted for years.

You kin stand in the water, splash in the water, wade in, whatever. They're the most practical for our purposes.

Jist plain ole rubber knee boots didn't offer enuff support for walking, and packing.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.