Thread: Tundra toilet etiquette

Default Tundra toilet etiquette

Going to Kotz next September and was wondering what to do about a camp toilet. Do you dig a hole and cover it when leaving or do you bag it all and bring it home?
    THanks
    Bruce

Bag it and Burn it with left over white gas

This worked great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Tundra Toilets

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Going to Kotz next September and was wondering what to do about a camp toilet. Do you dig a hole and cover it when leaving or do you bag it all and bring it home?
    THanks
    Bruce
    Bruce,

Thanks for asking. Most folks just peel back a small section of tundra, do their business, and lay the sod back where it was. You're better off with small "cat holes" than a larger latrine up there, because the permafrost slows decomposition. Don't dig down more than six or eight inches and of course avoid areas within a hundred feet or so of water. If it gets in the water it could contaminate the water.

It's been my observation that the toilet paper seems to stick around a LONG time. You should consider burning it on-site, but be extremely careful to ensure it is totally burned up and the ashes are cold before you cover it up. I've seen toilet paper over a year old out in the field, laying exposed on top of the ground.

There's an excellent little book on this (quite amusing, but also very practical), by Kathleen Meyer, entitled, "How to S*** in the Woods". You'll find a load of suggestions, which should eliminate most of your questions. I hate to dump this on you, butt I'd make a movement in that direction. You'll be greatly relieved. Other than that, I don't know squat. The field edition is made of softer paper.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Bio-degradable toilet paper

There are some manufactures of "more" bio-degradable toilet paper than conventional papers. You can even find toilet paper in camo and a light brown.

Coleman used to make a "Rapid Disolve Paper".

I dig a hole. On the haul road a #2 shovel is hand anyways as an emergency tool anyways so why not dig a hole.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

This topic is a pet peeve with me. I've lost track of how many times I have run into "latrines" used by other hunters. Typically the "latrines" consist of an area behind some brush or a large rock littered with a week's worth of **** and toilet paper. No attempt to bury or burn anything. When I see this sort of thing I start thinking maybe the anti-hunters are right, we are just a bunch of redneck bubbas.

Proper backcountry practice involves bringing a small trowel, digging a six inch or so deep hole, making your deposit in the hole and burning the toilet paper before covering the hole. REI sells a lightweight plastic trowel for a few bucks that will last for at least two or three trips before it breaks. They have heavier folding stainless version as well. As Mike said, make sure your **** holes are well dispersed.

You may think I'm crazy but I stopped carrying toilet paper in the alaska bush. I don't even consider packing it for a trip. Alaska is full of moss and grasses. It always has a little moisture in it and it works great. When in the woods do as the animals.

Default You're right

You are correct.

Default related topic

If I may also suggest (in case you come along and want to dip your wiping hand into my bag of candy) that you dig your hole, etc, and wear a latex glove. When done dropping your coil, peel the glove off, turning it inside out, and pack it home. Clean as a whistle. Now I'll let you dip into my candy. later. j

Uncle Sam taught me how to crap in the woods. I still prefer digging a cathole and carry a military e-tool with me.

RV TP is also good to take along too.

+1 on the burn before burying.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Bruce,

Thanks for asking. Most folks just peel back a small section of tundra, do their business, and lay the sod back where it was. You're better off with small "cat holes" than a larger latrine up there, because the permafrost slows decomposition. Don't dig down more than six or eight inches and of course avoid areas within a hundred feet or so of water. If it gets in the water it could contaminate the water.

It's been my observation that the toilet paper seems to stick around a LONG time. You should consider burning it on-site, but be extremely careful to ensure it is totally burned up and the ashes are cold before you cover it up. I've seen toilet paper over a year old out in the field, laying exposed on top of the ground.

There's an excellent little book on this (quite amusing, but also very practical), by Kathleen Meyer, entitled, "How to S*** in the Woods". You'll find a load of suggestions, which should eliminate most of your questions. I hate to dump this on you, butt I'd make a movement in that direction. You'll be greatly relieved. Other than that, I don't know squat. The field edition is made of softer paper.

-Mike
    Really? what about the thousands of caribou, hundreds of moose, bears, beaver, otter, mink, marten, rabbits....blah blah blah??? When they crap don't they contaminate the water?

If weight and space allows, we bring a plywood crapper. When we are done, we burn everything but the seat. Naturally it is bottomless to allow for the tundra to absorb your dung.

If you can't bring the crapper, dig a hole, take your dumps in it and burn your TP.

Default why add?

[QUOTE=Kusko;38003]Really? what about the thousands of caribou, hundreds of moose, bears, beaver, otter, mink, marten, rabbits....blah blah blah??? When they crap don't they contaminate the water?

Sure, but not necessarily with the same parasites/life cycles, etc. I don't recall if the schistosomiasis, for ex, that we can pass around among ourselves is the same as the one(s?) in birds and other mammals. Besides, why add to the population of kooties if it ain't necessary? BTW: A friend spent several weeks in the hospital w/ hepatitis because some food handler in the restaurant where he ate did not care for personal hygiene.

Korea, but soon I'll be at Ft. Wainwright.

Default ****tin in the woods....

Why take it from the guys who are trained to live in the field. Go to ArmyStudyGuide.com and search for field sanitation. You should get a FM that explains everything including which direction to wipe (well almost) about ****tin in the woods.
    If life is a waste of time and time is a waste of life, lets get wasted and have the time of our lives. TK

Wink please, burn your tp

please, what ever you do .... burn your tp.

Default don't leave IT

I prefer to pack it out-- in my buddies pack.

Thumbs up Btk,

I prefer to pack it out-- in my buddies pack.
    I like the way you think BTK. LOL >>LOL>>>LOL
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I just dig a small hole and cover it up once I'm done...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK