Thread: Nostalgia: What's The Best Deal On...

Default Nostalgia: What's The Best Deal On...

Powder...that you ever stumbled upon?

I started reloading when I was a high-schooler in the mid-60's, and would often get my supplies in Anchorage. As a totally green novice, with absolutely zero experience, I remember going to Great Northern Guns back then and asking "Uh...I'm just starting reloading and I have a 30-06. What powder should I use?" Their answer was "get some IMR-4350". Wise answer! It worked good then, and it still works good now, although I often use other powders. Can't remember what they charged me for that very first can of powder, but it couldn't have been much more than $7-$8. I've probably gone through of upwards of 200 lbs of dozens of different powders since then. Back then, my source for bullets was the Herters mail-order price on bullets I could find anywhere. And I didn't have to go to Anchorage to get them. (a high schooler back then was typically very close to broke, including me) (besides, according to George W Herter, everything in his catalog was officially the very best stuff available in the entire world...numero uno for quality) (LOL!) Nostalgia has it's merits, lol!

Anyway, back to the original question: one weekend, in the 70's, I wandered into "Valu-Mart" (no longer in existence) and saw some original, WWII recycled, Hodgdon 4831 for sale at $1.88 a lb. (In the old cardboard rectangular cans) I bought several...cheapest powder I ever bought...and absolutely nothing wrong with it...

In sharp contrast, today, in Anchorage, I saw some imported powder (VitaVouri) (spelling?) for $50 a lb....

FIFTY DOLLARS??? For ONE pound??? this stuff gold-plated or something?

Common...give us a break...

About 1968, a store near where I lived, got in a large container of 4831 and was selling it for $.67 per lb. Bring your own container. I bought 3 lbs thinking that would last just about forever in my new 7mm mag. Boy what a mistake that was. Should have bought the whole 50lb keg.

In the 1960's I bought three unopened 50-pound cardboard drums of surplus 4831 for $75. That's 50 cents a pound, and some folks felt I paid too much.

Even better deals have come along more recently when friends moved away from Alaska or died. Often they or their survivors give me their powder free. Best was a friend who was leaving Alaska to live in Africa after 20 years of serious reloading and shooting up here. He mostly bought in 8-pound kegs, but also had three giant paper towel boxes of one-pound cans. To go with the 14 8-pound kegs. Filled the bed of my pickup almost completely. And over half were unopened.

In an easy chair in Cyberspace

FIFTY DOLLARS??? For ONE pound??? this stuff gold-plated or something?
    Awesome powder, extremely consistent over a range of temps but spendy (although $50 is a bit much).

I use a lot of the VN560

Arco, Idaho

Default As a Kid,...

started loading for my first revolver, a Colt Trooper Mk III, when I was sixteen. Couldn't afford $5.00 a box for WW 158 gr. Lubaloy rounds, so invested in an RCBS JR press, scales, and powder measure.
    Several outlets in the area had surplus 4831, 4895, and I believe 4064 for .29 cents a pound in small paper bags, weighed out at the pharmacy counter where we could watch..........
    Last 'big' purchase in those days was a sixteen pound keg of 4831 that a friend and I split at a buck a pound. Burned that entire keg up between us busting varmints with 'about' 60 grains of that powder and 100 gr. Speer hollow points in our .270's.
    I have to remember that in those days, I was making $600 a month as an Airman First Class, with a wife and two kids, so a buck a pound equalled how much today????