Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond D Leather once again...

Default Diamond D Leather once again...

I just got my .460 Rowland Hunter back from our local Leathermeister David Johnston (Diamond D Custom Leather) and thought I'd show of his work. This is the 5th holster he's made for me now, and I've stopped shopping anywhere else.

I spend a lot of time at the helm of a jetboat, and have long sought the perfect carry weapon for "me". When Wilson sent me this Hunter model I sold off all the LAR Grizzly's, Freedom Arms Casul's, and so on. (I already have enough boat anchors and no longer feel the need to carry the extra weight if you know what I mean) Even with the "heavy iron" I used to pack, I've come to prefer to carry cross-draw since its so much more comfortable when seated at the helm, also I like the barrel end sewn closed and sealed up so no garbage makes it that way when the thing winds up in the glove box or backpack.

I know my LE buddies dont like the "hammer down" retention like this, but I have a 4 year old who hangs out with me quite a bit and (much as he minds me) having one just ready for him to squeeze off if I loose my focus one day makes me nervous, so I like to carry hammer down, on an empty chamber.

I actually spent zero time looking for holsters that would fit, or were "sort of" like I wanted, in fact, I spent the day out on the river when I dropped if off, and had all day today on the water prior to picking it up, and his price for a custom fit holster beats out most places prices I've found in Anchorage. I actually had him make me one up for my CQB 10mm while he was at it...

Thanks for the photo's and info. David does nice work, and he is a nice guy.

Thumbs up nice...

If there is a better looking set up then a 1911 in a good leather holster I have yet to see it.

Nice looking holster Chriso!

I placed my order with David a few weeks back, can't wait til I get to go pick up the new holster for my glock 20. I wish I could get the holster in the camo leather.

WG, definitely post what you get and with it on your body also....I'd be interested.

I ordered the oiled leather strong side (left hip) thumb break holster with a double layered 1 1/2" belt and mag pounch. I'm not to happy with the wait thus far, it's been six weeks since I made the call, but if the product lives up to the hype I will be a happy camper. After a follow up call I was told David has been preocupied with profession number 1, which you can't blame him for. I'm just getting itchy.

I know what you mean on waiting. I'm sitting on an order for AR receivers for 9 months now....thankfully they dont have my money!

Are you lefty?

I'm cursed with wrong handedness and live in a right handed world.

Boondock's has DMPR lowers in stock. $165

I waited for 12 weeks to get my crossbreed supertuck and it was, without a doubt, worth the lead time. I'm hoping this holster will follow suite. Unfortunately, I've gained a few inches around the waist line and can no longer use the crossbreed IWB holster with the pants I have. Dammm beer.

Dave's a good guy. I've certainly appreciated the holster he made for me. I took my boy with me when I went down to see what he could do. My boy left with a leather moose. It may be a Christmas ornament or something but my boy loves it. He grunts when he picks it up.

He's whipping me up a couple of guitar straps when the rush dies down (if the rush dies down).

He does great custom work for a more than reasonable price.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Nice looking holster Chriso!

I placed my order with David a few weeks back, can't wait til I get to go pick up the new holster for my glock 20. I wish I could get the holster in the camo leather.

He says he can't anymore of the camo leather.

He's makeing a rifle sling for me with the last little bit he had left as it is only wide enough to make a sling.

I guess no one is breeding camo'd cows anymore. Maybe they went extinct ? He said he is looking for a new source.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I guess no one is breeding camo'd cows anymore. Maybe they went extinct ? He said he is looking for a new source.
    Yeah, he might hafta go to Camo Cats. I've seen those around, and they're no good for anything else.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I hear the hide on camo cats are not thick enough to suitably tailor a handgun holster. A half dozen in a sack might prove to be adequate bear protection though. Maybe someone could send them to wldboar's house to crap camo turds in her flour box.

Default I know... I was a bit bummed too!

I ordered the oiled leather strong side (left hip) thumb break holster with a double layered 1 1/2" belt and mag pounch. I'm not to happy with the wait thus far, it's been six weeks since I made the call, but if the product lives up to the hype I will be a happy camper. After a follow up call I was told David has been preocupied with profession number 1, which you can't blame him for. I'm just getting itchy.
    Of course, when I found out what was sidetracking him I too decided that having a guy like Dave training all the locals in Fastwater Rescue could someday be a good thing in our world and I could wait a bit longer for the rest of my order.... (He's still making me a "right-sided" one for my G-20 when he's done with yours!)

Thank you for sharing chriso...that's a sweet rig. Here's a few pics of my Guide's Choice holster with the S&W 460v...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats one badboy there!!! And about the only way I can see myself ever carrying one... I bet it sure makes a guy feel more comfortable about being out and about in bear country!

A good thing indeed. I'm just itchy to finally carry my G20. One of those padded nylon holsters is sitting in my safe but would rather wait for the nice rig I ordered. BTW Chris I called Dave based on your original post when he built a holster for your 45 win mag. I highly doubt I will be disappointed.

Did you get the short frame glock? I wanted the OD G20 in the worst way but the SF was definitely a better fit.

Of course, when I found out what was sidetracking him I too decided that having a guy like Dave training all the locals in Fastwater Rescue could someday be a good thing in our world and I could wait a bit longer for the rest of my order.... (He's still making me a "right-sided" one for my G-20 when he's done with yours!)

A good thing indeed. I'm just itchy to finally carry my G20. One of those padded nylon holsters is sitting in my safe but would rather wait for the nice rig I ordered. BTW Chris I called Dave based on your original post when he built a holster for your 45 win mag. I highly doubt I will be disappointed.

Did you get the short frame glock? I wanted the OD G20 in the worst way but the SF was definitely a better fit.
    SF for me too... I sure hope you like your holster as much as I like mine! (got my fingers crossed that Dave comes through quickly for you!)

This one called him and said to stop it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I picked up the holster, belt, and mag pouch tonight. David was great to deal with and even gave my daughter a leather moose as he did with Phish. The holster fits my G20 perfectly, is solid on the belt, and holstering/drawing the gun from the holster is just right. So far I'm very happy with this purchase. Now comes the field testing, my favorite part.

David let me try one of his guide choice holsters and it was a nice rig. Much better than my nylon sportsmans holster I have for my 329PD. One of those might be in my near future, right after I have him make a holster for my wife and her 9mm XD SC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast