Thread: Cronograph Mount

Default Cronograph Mount

I just ordered a Cronograph and need to figure out how to support it. The instructions say 15 to 20 feet from the rifle so I will need some kind of independent mount. It is threaded for the standard camera 1/4-20 thread.

Is a camera tripod the best way to go? Or do you have some other setups or ideas that work well?

I would like to be ready to go when it shows up but would hate to buy a tripod and then find a better idea.

I use inexpensive (read Wal-Mart) camera tripods and they have worked fine for twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I use inexpensive (read Wal-Mart) camera tripods and they have worked fine for twenty years.
    Same here, but with one important modification. I hang a sandbag from the base of the center column of the tripod so wind can't tip over the works. If the ground is soft enough rather than frozen, I just drive a tent stake into the ground, then run a line up to tie off the center column. Take it from me.... Chronographs make a nasty sound when tripods tip over, whether from wind or bumps.

I agree with both but I use a pretty sturdy and adjustable tripod. I expect you will have lots of fun. J.

I also use a photographic tripod - maybe made for a camcorder? I have also heard it said that chronies make a sickening sound when shot - can't say from personal experience but would also expect a bit of nausea!

Neat thanks for the advice I have never used a chronograph before so I am sure it will be a learning experience. I will get a camera tripod and something to hang below.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    .... and something to hang below.
    Next time you're in a sporting goods store, look for small mesh stuff sacks. I picked up one about the size of a gallon ziploc at REI for around $5. I just stuff a few rocks in it or boxes of ammo for weight. Then when the range session is over I empty it and shove it into my chrono box. Easy and works well, plus one less thing to remember on each range trip.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

BB:

I betcha a tater sack would work too.

You have a lotta good ideers. You must do a lotta stuff.

Thanks again.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.