Thread: New To Kodiak

Inherent Advantage

Default New To Kodiak

what boat would you buy?

Are you looking to just run out of the harbor or Kodiak for short day trips, or do you wan't to run around the island or to other islands? How many people on board? Overnight trips?

Inherent Advantage

I want to be flexible and 5 people would be unusual.

The big blunt question is, how much are you willing to spend?

Kodiak is really no different than the other SC ports, i.e. Homer, Seward, Whittier, Valdez. So I'd say the minimum I'd want for those applications is a 22' cabin cruiser, preferably aluminum, and the bigger the better. Open skiffs are cheaper, but getting out of the wind and cold on a cruiser is well worth the $ for a larger boat.

My idea of a good boat is a 28' aluminum v hull with pilot house, twin 250-300 o.b's. Doesn't matter if your fishing with 2 people or 6, the waves are still the same size, and the bigger the boat, the better.

The real difference with Kodiak from the other locals is you can get into some great fishing 30 minutes from the dock. The downside is you get the full brunt of the gulf of Alaska as soon as you exit the narrows. So since you can essentially fish any night after work (weather permitting) a smaller skiff has it's advantages. But making longer trips, there are stretches with no place to hide which makes one prefer a bigger boat.

Inherent Advantage

Paul,Paul...Paul...

28' and 500hp minimum?!!?

Kodiak sucks due to the range requisite,the topography and the nuances of da' feesh.(grin)

A $100K+ start IS daunting.....try again.