Thread: Delta Clearwater

Default Delta Clearwater

Anyone been on the Delta Clearwater this year? How are the sweepers?

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Anyone been on the Delta Clearwater this year? How are the sweepers?
    I was on the delta Clearwter the third week of April, we went from the lodge into the Tanana past the mouth of the Goodpaster and there were no sweepers at that time.

I was on it Memorial Weekend...sweepers weren't bad. But watch out for the canoers. I turned a sharp corner and found canoes 3 canoes side by side lined up across the creek. Too late to power off; I tried to swing wide but hit a sweeper...took out my starboard windscreen.
    I felt better though....when I pulled my boat out, the boat before me and two after, all had the starboard side windshields broken out!

Yipes, headed there tomorrow for a couple of days on the water. Thanks for info.

AkRascal, the canoes are a club that comes down on the weekends, (bird watching or just floating) was out at the landing weekend before last and a veh. had Swiftys Adventures on the side of it with a motorhome sitting there. During the week you probably won't see to many.

AKDux, watch your speed on the weekend, you should have been able to turn the boat on a nose dive if you were going that fast.

Good info, thanks, we'll be gone by the weekend.

Just reading on the Delta web page that they are putting togeather a "anything that will float" on June 20th that will start at the campground a end at the bridge. Everybody watch out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    AKDux, watch your speed on the weekend, you should have been able to turn the boat on a nose dive if you were going that fast.
    Ya...hindsight is 20/20. One of those OH $*!% moments . I maybe could've done something different....but I had my teen boys on the bow (and no, I don't want to hear about how they shouldn't have been there!). If I was going maybe 5 mph slower I would've skid less through the turn but, I wasn't going that fast and could've come off step and been splashed broadside into the sweeper...if I put the brakes on (reverse) I could've thrown my kids. Lotsa if's...who knows. It's funny how many options go through your mind in 2 seconds.
    As it turned out....it cost me $90 at Karolds to straighten the frame and another $85 at Speedy Glass. So it wasn't that expensive of a lesson.
    As far as the Anything That Floats weekend....I'll definitely be somewhere else.

Just a reminder that the "anything that floats" will happen tomorrow starting from the Clearwater Lodge on the Clearwater River and ending at the bridge at the Rich. Hwy. So all you power boaters out there watch out for them.

The Delta Clearwater has a lot of canoe traffic and a few areas have midstream wading fishermen.......Please be very careful on the DC!

Had three great days on the water at Clearwater. Sweepers, yes, but not bad, only a couple of other boats around. Altho not the longest or the most challenging it certainly is a beautiful and fun little river.