Thread: Bummer at Buskin...

Default Bummer at Buskin...

ADF&G is shutting down the river to all sockeye salmon fishing starting Monday, June 15th and continuing to the close of the calendar year.

Emergency closure due to low wier counts.

Tough news; if I was booked at that time I would be hitting the salts...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

What?? This is very disappointing and somewhat hard to understand. I realize the count is way under what it should be but just 2 days ago 1000 fish came through, before that a spurt of 300 or so came through, so hopefully the run is just late.

If it were to get back on schedule would there be a consideration to re open or is this a done deal?

BTW- any locals have any reports of how things have been until the shut down?

-Nick

Where is the Buskin??

In years past I have filled my freezer with reds from the buskin. Normally by 15 june I am letting fish go. I have 12 fillets in my freezer and I have done better than many other anglers I have spoken to on the river.
    There were two good days of fishing and since then the fish are extremely few and very far between.
    the river needs to closed for the future runs. Even though it is open this weekend I am choosing not to fish.
    Tight lines,

stimpy

There are few kings in fresh (or salt) water anywhere in state.

Even though we can't attack the commercial fishermen and we can't attack Global Warming, we can attack sport fishermen and we can attack ADFG.

So, it's undeniable that our vehicles caused the kings to die at sea, and the few that survived were not caught by commercial fishermen (from North America or intercepted on the high seas by Asian commercial fishermen), but were killed in spirit before arriving in the spawning beds by sport fishermen.

Default Buskin Blues...

The Buskin River is on Kodiak Island and in the community of Kodiak.
    It is by far the most popular and most fished river on the island due to it being acessable very close to town. You literally could get off an airplane and walk 5 minutes and reach it.

The closure could be recinded if future counts cause ADF&G to do so.

The closure report was sent to me just yesterday by a local island resident.

There are other river options, both on the road system and remote, but this was one of the big players right in the heart of the population area...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

it was 800 fish that went through the weir a couple of days ago. But they were schooled up in front of it for some time so it is still just a trickle of fish entering the river. I think the total is 1250 right now.
    The good news is that the dollys are hitting hard on the beaches right now.

Is there a forecast for silvers entering into Kodiak streams the fall(especially the road system ones)? Thx.