Thread: Need help salmon fishing

Default Need help salmon fishing

To anyone willing to help a soldier during his last summer in AK:

I have been here for two summers and have had limited success fishing in Alaska. I have the right set up for kings at Ship creek and go just about every day, but the fishing has been slow.

I want to do silvers and reds somewhat locally (am willing to travel to Kenai/Russian) I just need some help. I have a buddy who is getting into fishing as well and we just ask a lot of questions and copy what others are doing.

If anyone is willing to work with me a little, I would really appreciate it. I can share gas and get away most weekends. I also want to dip net this summer.

Also, I won a fly rod down at the wounded warrior event on the Kenai and will receive it soon, I have no idea how to use it.

Thank you.

Default I will let you know when I head down

I don't have a Russian River trip planned yet. That will be soon though.
    You are welcome to tag along and learn what little I know

Dipnetting. I always go on the weekend around July 26th to Kasilof Beach South. The fish are smaller and you can't keep any Kings, but I enjoy the atmosphere and the people seem friendlier than Kenai North.
    I also like being able to drive my truck right down on the beach.
    You are also welcome to join me there. I have plenty of "hoops of death" for the fishing and usually loan out one or two while we are there.
    Last year, we caught 125 fish (two families) in about 5 hours.

Let me know. PM me for my email addy. (don't want any search bots to get it).

I like to go to the Willow Creek SRA and fish the mouth of Willow. It is combat fishing just like Ship, but is usually pretty decent.
    I have heard the Little Su gets a good run, but the only time I have caught from there was on a float trip from the Parks to Burma.
    Jim Creek gets some good silvers, it is turning into a combat fishery also though.
    Bird Creek is usually pretty good. Either flip and floss at low tide or Spinners and Pixies on incoming tide.

AK Chappy

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

I'm a military spouse and live on base. I'm pretty new to fishing in general, but have 2 Ship Creek kings and a limit of Russian River reds under my belt so far this year. I have trips to the Russian planned next two weekends, currently full but if someone backs out, I'll send you a PM.

No plans for Ship Creek this next week as all the tides are mid day, but the week after the Derby 21st-25th have some good PM tides, I tend to get down there 2-3 hours before the tide and come back 2 hours after, or 11. Lately been hitting Ship alone so if you want to ride with me during those days drop me a line.