Thread: 10mm : Good 'nuff for Black Bear Defense?

Default 10mm : Good 'nuff for Black Bear Defense?

I'm a northeasterner so no big brownies here. Was wondering if I might be able to get away with a Colt Delta Elite for my backwoods gun. Was pretty set on a Ruger Redhawk earlier but just put my human paws on a Delta the other week while on the way to purchasing a stainless Series 70 and sorta fell in love! Anyway my 2010 purchase will be my woods gun. A 1911 pattern gun gives me some versatility (town and country carry) that a Redhawk does not offer.

Had another thread here a while back where I concluded that the 4" Redhawk in 44Mag was the way to go. Since then I've reversed course and am now set on the 45Colt if I go with the Redhawk. Snyd made a good case for the 45 Redhawk IMO. Anyway, thoughts, opinions. Much obliged!

Well I may alone here but I think with good loads the ten will work for you, provided you do your part.

I've deer hunted with the ten in years past and it works but it is no 44 mag or 45 Colt. Nor is it the equal of the 41 mag, contrary to what some advocates say. I used a 6 1/2" S&W model 610 I think it was, an L frame revolver and used 220 grain hard cast loads. Actually a Keith style made for me by a custom maker. There are similar bullets available today. Stick with some kind of hard cast 200 plus grain blunt nose design and it will probably work for you. Remember the gun has to feed it well.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Do you think one can put flat nosed hard cast bullets through a Delta (out of the factory), or are those loads desogned more for the S&W revolvers in 10mm? Yeah just saw a S&W 610 at the store where ai bought my new Colt 1911. Nice looking revolver.

Okay, thanks for your experienced input. Sounds like when push comes to shove that it may just be wiser to go with a nice 4" Redhawk.

Murphy, you are not alone as I agree 100%. I would not use a 10mm as a woods gun in most of Alaska due to browns and the size of many of our blacks, but in 95% of the lower 48 or more it's adequate for the guy that can shoot it well. The way I see the 10mmís power in an auto is just over a .357 with store loads, but I can push the .357 revolvers just a bit past the 10mm so itís about a wash and not even close to the 41mag/44mag/45lc power. 10mm is about as hot as it gets in an auto without going to one of the bulky gas operated types like the Desert Eagle.

I have fed my 2 EAA 10mmís cast flat nose 200s and 210s with good luck so they should also run in other 1911 type autos. I went with EAAs for value and over Glock for shooting cast which a stock Glock is not supposed to do without a aftermarket barrel.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Had a Delta and it was a nice gun but with the good heavier loads I needed a stronger recoil spring or the frame would get beat up bad

The stoutest 10mm rounds I have seen available have about 750 ft-lbs of energy. The question is, is that enough? As far as the "real" woods gun you plan on getting....why not get a 454 Casull? That way you can shoot 45 Colts in it and step up full blown 454 loads if you see the need. Gives you some flexibility. Good luck.

Uncle Ted wears a Glock 20 for protection (G29) and I do also...plenty for a black bear with 200 grain Corbons or bigger Double Tap cast ammo when you have a good sight picture. And yes, the stock barrel is fine for cast...you`ll never shoot enough to harm the barrel or at least I`m not that wealthy. That info. comes from a Glock tech requested by certified handgun trainer here in AK.

I have a 200gr. Corbon sitting on my desk with nothing more than twist markings that was recovered from 10.75"s of birch...did better than all the other ammo we had, including 600 gr. Black Magic Brennekes...I was surprised. .45/.44 mag failed to make that distance and not surprising deformed badly.

Agreed that it isn`t a great choice for Brown bears...that`s what your primary weapons duty is. It`s a bit too quick and will likely pass through without expansion which means very little felt energy. It`s kind of like hitting a blacktail with a 338....you can watch them run away but they are dead in minutes.

Having shot a black bear in the face with a .445 Dan Wesson at point blank range (half in tent/broken skull). I can tell you it didn`t shut `em down either. My friend finished him with a panicked gut shot with a Brenneke while the bear was bouncing around camp trying to figure out what happened.

Just my .02, a 10mm in any state other than ours would be adequate.

YEP, it be fine. My day'in & day'out, woods handgun is S&W M-60 3" in .357 Mag. I just prefer a wheel'gun because I can have some "CCI" shotshells in my pocket for a Grouse or Squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Uncle Ted wears a Glock 20 for protection (G29)
    Wow, after reading that I almost feel like I need to get rid of my Glock 29....

I like the 10mm because it is one of the biggest setups you can get in such a small package that is easy to carry when out recreating. It may not be the best for all situations, but it sure beats that big lunker you left at home the time you needed it because it was too heavy to carry all the time.

I plan to continue to use the 10 for more active travels, but have since picked up a S&W .460 as a "camp gun". One that I can have when around a camp with meat hanging or when I have to go back to a kill site after being away a while. I like the versatility with it where I can get comfortable with it shooting lighter loads in the .45 long colt range and not wear out my arm running a bunch of the .460 round through it.

Thanks. Lots of good information here. Sounds like it'd be good to own both a Delta Elite and a 4" Redhawk. Guess it'll come down to which feels more neccessary when the time to purchase comes.

For Blacks the 10mm is an outstanding choice. Plenty of power and good round count. What more could you as for?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    For Blacks the 10mm is an outstanding choice. Plenty of power and good round count. What more could you as for?
    I figure for upstate NY it's fine. We'll see. So many to buy! FWIW here's my new Series 70, my '09 purchase, as well as my old '91.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RGL01,
    VERY nice!
    I've been carrying a pair of 1911's in a Galco Miami 2-up rig for the past three years doing wildlife surveys on the lower Kuskokwim. I occasionally bring an FN-FAL and my partner has a Bennelli Super M1. One of these days I'll have the mulah to poney up for a pair of stainless Colt's in 10mm. Yummy!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

If sales of 10mm are indicative of their popularity as a field round, I note that I went through 5 of 6 new issue delta elites in 24 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    RGL01,
    VERY nice!
    I've been carrying a pair of 1911's in a Galco Miami 2-up rig for the past three years doing wildlife surveys on the lower Kuskokwim. I occasionally bring an FN-FAL and my partner has a Bennelli Super M1. One of these days I'll have the mulah to poney up for a pair of stainless Colt's in 10mm. Yummy!
    Thanks. Wish I lived up Alaska way. Would love to bring my '03, or Lee-Enfields into the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    If sales of 10mm are indicative of their popularity as a field round, I note that I went through 5 of 6 new issue delta elites in 24 hours
    The Delta really made an impression on me when I handled it. Maybe I'll be able to try one on my next visit to sunny Fla. Lot's of ranges that rent sidearms down there.