Thread: Help with a sneeky beaver

Default Help with a sneeky beaver

I have been doing some nusence trapping in a couple of ponds that have no side chanels and are in the middle of a residential area. There are culverts conecting the two ponds, which he just started pluging up yesterday. There are only a coulpe of spots where I can actually put sets. I found his main haul out and place a few sets but the water rose over night and he set both off by going over the top of them ( this was a couple of days ago). I think that this has spooked him away from these sets but my options are limited for other places to try. I am going to put a set in the culvert tonight and hopfully that hits. I have never had this much trouble with a beaver, ussually it is a one or two night deal but therise and fall of the water in this pond is causeing a problem. All of my sets must be under water which makes it a little more difficult. Any suggestions? I was thinking about placing some leg holds out next since he seem to be getting wize two the 330s.

Back in ohio I use to have the same problem. I would break up his dam a bit so in the evenings he would come out to make his repairs. I would just wait for him to come out and then shoot him. I would think you can set your traps by a broken part of the dam and get the same results.

Default Huh?

Have you tried bringing little gifts, compliments, and asking her opinions on things?

If you aren't handsome - it helps if you are handy.

Also, make sure she knows you are successful, without being flashy.

Good Luck.

Default good idea but

That is a good idea but this beaver just moved into this pond system and there is no dam yet. and I believe that he has his lodge somewhere in the bank along the pond, there is no visable lodge and he is only working in a few areas.

I had a feeling a reply like that was coming!

does he trail to where he eats. I have set snares on those trails in the past for "trap shy" beavers. have yoiu tried caster mounds? Or just wait him out in the night and shoot him.

Can't shoot him because it is in a residential area. there are no consistent trails since he just moved in. I use cater from other beavers and after the first night he made 5 mounds on the bank above my traps but he is not consistent with the paths he takes. I believe he is a young one just figuring things out. I was thinking about putting out some snare and now that you mentioned it I'll hve to do that tonight.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default a possibility

Mallard,

+1 on Swapdonkey, and the castor mound, they can't resist investagating the scent of another beaver combined with the "visual" of the new mound.

HOWEVER, I realize that the changing water level is your challange.., probably more so than that pesky beaver.

You might want to back out and ease the pressure off him for a week, and watch his "early morning" pattern from a distance.., if you can. I'm talking before the sun crests the horizon. Look to see if he passes by any obstical, and if he dives under anything. If he passes by anything, or between anything (which is the better set up), you need to make him dive right there.
    I like to float a dead, dry log, 3"-6" in diameter and at least 4 feet long, with both ends wired loosely so it can rise and fall with the "tide." I like the log to be long enough to span the entire area, if nature doesn't provide a narrow "run." Now, if the run is narrow, usually one 330 coni-bear suspended under the log will fill the run, but if it's wide, go ahead and set two or three suspended along that log, you must add some diversion sticks between the traps.

Make sure the "log" has the bouyancy (ability to float) to float the weight of the trap(s), you might also add a "float" to each end.

Do the homework first, he doesn't need more education.

You might also try the forced dive set somewhere near his approach to the castor mound set, but just watch his morning activities and see if he's already got a route that will naturally work. Especially if he goes somewhere that already forces him to dive.., even if it's a small stick.., remember, you can even make "it" work with adding floats.

Keep it natural, and watch him.., let him teach you a new trick.

With my castor mounds I do it a little differnet. I will dig a channel in the bank just big enough for him to fit through. I use some 330, but perfer mb750 with a drowner cable. I have got more with with leg hold, but 330 are great "they are dead when you get there". Most of my beaver trapping it though the ice so i use snares most of the time. I have ran into a few beavers that have got the best of me. For a rodent they can be trap shy.

I agree with your thoughts on he is now a bit shy of the conis. I would switch to footholds set in shallow water in front of new cator mound and attached to a drowner in deep water. Set as shallow as you can for a front foot catch and if the water raises you may still hook a back foot off set the trap pan from the center of the slide to avoid a belly snapping the trap and use a breast stick in fron of the trap so if the water raises he still ahs to put his foot down. It does sound like a trwo yr old out looking for a home of his own usually they come in pairs this time of year so be ready for a second one. Make a slide in front of the mound for him to use and make the mound bigger than the others that are around. If you are using castors from elsewhere switch castors from the ones you missed him on or swich lures. They are smart when they get trap wise and can give you fits. another option is a snare in front of the slide rather than a foot hold set it so the snare is half in and half out of the water and a 10 inch loop.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default luck?

did you get em yet?

GOT HIM! I caught him 2 weeks ago the day before I had to head out into the feild for my job. I caught him in a culvert that he had just started damming up, but I caught him by the back leg. The reason he was setting off the 330s and not getting caught was because he was to big to go through the trap He weighed 61lbs. By far the biggest I have taken. his tail was littered with scars. I was under the impression that I was after a young beaver that had got kicked out this spring, I was pretty suprised to see that hog. I will post some pictures when I get tiem.

Thanks for all the ideas.

61 lbs. I have a picture of a 330 sitting on top of him and there is know way he would have fit though it.

Default Leave the beave be

Leave it alone...the moose will thank you!!
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default congrats!!

pic didn't show on my comp... but i'll live.

glad you stuck with him and out smarted the old fart. Man, I miss spring beaver trappin.... one of these days I'll actually have time.... hope it's still arround when I do...

just have to keep fighting for what's right.

Good work, and again......... congrats

Default Trying the pic again

Well I'll see if this works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2202.JPG  

Supporting Member

Default Problem Beaver

Nice catch! Hope the little guy follows in your footsteps...recruitment is the key to the survival of trapping.