Thread: Remington 300SAUM Bullet Selection

Default Remington 300SAUM Bullet Selection

I am setting this rifle up for either a coastal black bear hunt in BC or an elk hunt in the western USA or Canada. I have Nosler Partitions in both 180 and 200 grains. Assuming that the bullets have the same accuracy which bullet would you use? Any reason why one over the other. I tend to like bullets on the heavier side, but don't really have a good reason, just the way I've done it with my 30-06. I have used 180 grain Speer Mag Tips, Core Lokt's, and Sierra RN for whitetails. Maybe some of you guys have some experience with the 180/200 Partition deal. Thanks.

I shoot the 200 grain Partitions in my .300 WBY, but if I was you I'd go with the 180s. It will shoot them faster and flatter, but still have more than enough power to kill an elk or black bear.

Smile

Yeah....what he said.
    Last edited by wildone; 06-12-2009 at 16:22. Reason: to add smiles

200 gr have a higher ballistic coefficient and sectional density meaning less air drag in flight. I too like heavier bullets you lose some velocity and case capacity but the performance on game is usually better with a heavier bullet. I shoot 210 gr berger bullets in a 300 winmag does exactly what I want on game. Personally I would load up five of each and go and see what does shoot better. I would probably use the most accurate in my own opinion. IMR 4350 and RL19 work really well for the case size and bullet weights.

With your choices 180's. Enough said.

I happen to shoot the 180 Barnes TSX out of my 300 saum. As a matter of fact it is my bullet of choice in all my guns , but that is a personal choice. Shoot what you like and what shoots well out of your gun.

You will find a little more velocity in the 180 especially in a Model 7 or short action rifle where the 200 must be seated a bit deeper in the case. Therefor you will notice a little flatter trajectory and a little less wind drift at hunting ranges (say to 350 yards). Using the Partition 180 grain you will find all the penetration you need on blackies or elk. If there is anything to learn from history, the past sixty years has displayed that a well placed 180 grain .308 caliber Partition will reliably kill any animal in North America effectively. Having said all that, the 200 would also be a fine choice, but I would prefer the 180 in the 300 SAUM. Whichever you choose let me wish you success on your upcoming hunt and hope you will let us know how everything performs when you return this fall.