Thread: Please clean it up!

Default Please clean it up!

Hi folks,

I'm not your mom, but I thought a timely reminder would be in order, concerning trash pickup while you're on the river would be in order. I just got a PM from an angry forum member who spent part of his fishing trip picking up fishing line, beer bottles, cans, and yes, dirty diapers along one of our local rivers. Because of the location of the trash he suspects some of our rafters.

Please bring a trash bag with you and take a few minutes to clean up the area where you stop to fish or have lunch. Even if the trash isn't yours, keeping it clean will help you and other folks have a more enjoyable experience out there.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Right On!

yep yep!

We spend alot of time cleaning fire pits on the Gulkana that are trashed non pun sorry.

For about 15 bucks at Sportsmans yuo can get a nice folding trash bin works great, mostly seals, and has handles.

Default Ya

And remember that if it is in the fire pit and it doesn't burn you need to dig it out and take it with you!!!!! I get sick of picking up unburned aluminum foil!! Oh and the people that don't burn their TP at the falls come on! It is so gross in the woods there you can't even walk back there! But thanks to you guys that do pick up, every now and then something can get blown out of the raft or what ever, we can make it a beautiful place or trash it, it is up to us. I pick pretty

I carry one of those mesh laundry bags for trash. What doesn't burn gets washed while I'm moving downriver.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I carry one of those mesh laundry bags for trash. What doesn't burn gets washed while I'm moving downriver.
    I have to ask, do you really carry trash in a mesh bag and drag it through the water? not sure how good for the river ecosystem that is, let alone the release of scents into the water that will attract bears, etc. Hopefully this isn't true.

Can't agree more!

After a recent flyfishing trip in North Idaho I was appauled at the INCREDIBLE volume of trash along the river! As an outdoorsman I was ashamed. I personally could have filled the entire bed of my pickup and not touched what others still would have to deal with. Disgusting... Did what we could, but not even close to correcting the problem.

What the heck makes people think this is ok anyway?!

Default Forethought and education...

We have a chance to set the bar on this one; reasonable personal responsibility, expectations and culture on the rivers...

Some day our children will want clean places to enjoy.
    And their children...

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    I have to ask, do you really carry trash in a mesh bag and drag it through the water? not sure how good for the river ecosystem that is, let alone the release of scents into the water that will attract bears, etc. Hopefully this isn't true.
    Scents released into the water don't really create a bear attractant issue, but I take your point. My boat is a cataraft, tying off my trash in a strong mesh bag makes more sense than using a regular plastic bag which can rip or tear. Besides, the trash I carry in the mesh bag has been burned. The trash merely gets rinsed of ash.

I never eat where I camp and burn what I can in driftwood fires on gravel bars. The soaking is extra scent insurance and clean trash is easier to manage.

Default A rule to live by

Pack it in Pack it out,
    thanks for the post Micheal
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thanks for the reminder to everyone Mike. I took a small amount when we were floating the Upper Chena last week, was not that much compared to the drive-in fishing spots. Is there a good way to confront trash throwers without being shot ? It is amazing how much trash is just left or thrown out of the car/boat. Thats why spring clean-up around FBKS is so depressing to me. The ones that dont litter are always picking up after the ones that do. I see it from all kinds of people. I do think people need to be confronted when they are seen doing it!

Default spring clean up bags

Call the bourgh they can direct you where to get free bags as long as your cleaning up pubic areas and not using them for personal use. I grab a few extras every year for this particular problem. We should have a contest to see who can collect the most bags by freeze up,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default And don't forget...

...when you have to take a dump, PLEASE walk way back in the woods and DIG A CAT HOLE! Even if you just pull up a clump of tundra or pile rocks on your pile, please do something to cover your "tracks".

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    My boat is a cataraft, tying off my trash in a strong mesh bag makes more sense than using a regular plastic bag which can rip or tear.
    I liked toting my beer in a mesh bag in the water to keep them cold until (floating a cataraft) the raft pontoon rubbed the mesh bag against sand and ripped the bag open. I realized it when I saw a few cans of my precious beer floating away.

Are unopened beers "trash"? (I once caught an unopened can of beer dipnetting............I thought it was a pretty good catch).

Eagle River, Alaska, United States, 108264132534659, Eagle River, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
    I liked toting my beer in a mesh bag in the water to keep them cold until (floating a cataraft) the raft pontoon rubbed the mesh bag against sand and ripped the bag open. I realized it when I saw a few cans of my precious beer floating away.

Are unopened beers "trash"? (I once caught an unopened can of beer dipnetting............I thought it was a pretty good catch).
    I do the same thing, but I pull my bag-O-beer out of the water when it gets shallow or rapids are involved. Protect the beer at all cost. Unopened beers are not trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Legospam View Post
    I do the same thing, but I pull my bag-O-beer out of the water when it gets shallow or rapids are involved. Protect the beer at all cost. Unopened beers are not trash.

We did the usual trash hall on the kenai this weekend. I brought out about 2 cases of beer cans even though i only took a 12 pack with me. enough line to wrap around cooper landing and god the weights and flies
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Funny, you kinda look like my mom, except'n her beard might be a tad longer.

I always try to do my part and generally carry out more then I ever carry in, but the biggest thorn in my side is all the fishing line people just leave laying around.

Last year we floated the Gulkana the week before the 4th of July weekend. We ended up filling almost an entire trash bag of unburned campfire trash that wasnt ours. I figured that we were following a big group of partying kids, since there were "lots" of beer cans. We're floating it again this weekend and we'll probably bring a couple extra trash bags just in case.
    I shamefully admit though that I did litter on the Gulkana last year. I left a 200yd spool of tan paracord on one of the last camp spots before the rapids. But I figured that somebody would pick that up pretty quick

Default Picking up again

Day floating the Lower Gulkana, we cleaned up a fire pit full of trash on the same sand bar 3 days in a row. That got old quick.