Thread: smaller freighter on lakes

Default smaller freighter on lakes

for those with experience with the smaller freighters, like the grummen,esquif 17' cargo and those smaller freighters with a beam in the 40"-43" range.
    How do they do on lakes ?any trouble with stability in waves up to 2'?Anyone ever put a complete moose and gear into one of those smaller freighters?

I have an 18ft with a 40" beam. I've been in 3ft waves and it was quite terrifying. 2ft waves would get your heart racing IMO -- they would also slow you down a lot. That's the one downside of this size freighter canoe, any rough weather means you have to just crawl along, which means you are out there even longer.

Default Waves

the problem with waves is if the distance between the two crest is less than the the length of the canoe th bow is on one crest an the stearn is on the other crest an nothing on the bottom of the canoe so the bow goes into the wave a lot, the front man has to use his chest to keep water out , you can run brodside to the waves but subject to tipping a lot easer, when the wind is up on a lake in Alaska be very carful, it comes up real fast, a small lake can have fair size wayes, a large lake can have very large waves,

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    for those with experience with the smaller freighters, like the grummen,esquif 17' cargo and those smaller freighters with a beam in the 40"-43" range.
    How do they do on lakes ?any trouble with stability in waves up to 2'?Anyone ever put a complete moose and gear into one of those smaller freighters?

I've hauled a moose and all my gear through some pretty large waves on the return trip. I kind of grin to myself and just grit my teeth and deal with it. I did about 30 miles of large waves on the return trip. When you load a freighter down with a moose you actually gain a little bit of stability. When you approach 2ft.+ waves you have to back off the throttle and sometimes you may have to punch the throttle here and there to get up on top of larger waves. It's slow but it works. You have to approach the waves head on or at a very slight angle. NEVER turn that freighter broadside to those waves! Sometimes.....to follow the shore line during big waves will require you to do a lot of "zig zagging". What this simply means is where the shoreline goes in a direction that would put you broadside to the waves.......you don't follow. Instead....you shoot back out at a diagonal against the waves, turn the boat really quickly and ride the waves back to the shorline. Always load your moose meat just a touch bit forward of the widest part of your canoe. don't ever over load the bow of the canoe. You need the bow to be a bit responsive, you will need your bow to "cut" the big waves and reflect that water away from the freighter. Good luck. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48440

I picked up a new 17' esquif cargo canoe,had it out today.It criused along quite well with a 5hp and 2 people.I havent been in a small freighter type boat in many years.They are stable I guess for what they are,but with only a 43" beam they sure do feel a little unsteady when moving around,will just take some getting used to.I would imagine when loaded with more weight and sitting a bit deeper in the water it should be more stable.they are rated at 1100lb capacity but the dealer said they have seen them loaded with as much as 17oolbs on a couple slow rivers while moose hunting.