13 12.87%
  • Kimber Montana

32 31.68%
  • Those suck I like (list below)

33 32.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain hunting rifle poll

Default Mountain hunting rifle poll

Just curious what your dream mountain hunting stick would be. Feel free to post up if I missed one (or a few)

I used the same gun for goat as I used for everything else,45/70

Browning A-Bolt Mountain TI... 300WSM

One gun for all big game hunting T/C 7mm

You can save a lot of money shooting a standard 6 1/2 lb Browning A-bolt, or a Remington Mountain Rifle without going to the titanium guns.

As a handloader I prefer the shortmags and depending on which rifle you choose they can be a touch lighter and more compact in a standard rifle offering vs. the traditional calibers.

3-Position WING, 3- Position WING, 3- Position wing SAFETY. I would never go afield, with a bolt action rifle, that lacked a 3- Position WING Safety. For me that is more important than weight, manufacture, stainless or blued. Even more important than 1 MOA or 4 MOA.

Kimber or Winchester or Mauser w/wing conversion.

Of the choices given.........KIMBER (However I do not own one)

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    You can save a lot of money shooting a standard 6 1/2 lb Browning A-bolt, or a Remington Mountain Rifle without going to the titanium guns.

As a handloader I prefer the shortmags and depending on which rifle you choose they can be a touch lighter and more compact in a standard rifle offering vs. the traditional calibers.
    Ditto that! I have three mountain rifles two stainless and one blued and really enjoy them!

Have to go with my Kimber Montana in 300 win mag. It is as light as I want a high power rifle and handles like a dream not to mention takes all the abuse I have thrown at it and laughed.

remington titanium in a .270
    or a new ultra light arms in a .30-'06
    prefer the later
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I had some difficulties with a my Kimber Monatana and traded it off. I now have a 30-06 remington titanium. I get much better groups with the remington.

Default Sako Finnlight because...

I like the Sako Finnlight (own 2) over the Kimber Montana (own 1). They fit me better, look a bit nicer (I like the fluted barrel and some bottom metal), have a bolt release when the safety is on (not a 3 position safety but it works great for me), feed and shoot great. Biggest drawback... not made in America.

DS

Weatherby ULW in 270 Remington with a 2.5-8 Leopold VXIII. That's as close to the perfect gun as there is for me.

Tikka T-3 .300WM, spend the extra bucks on optics

7mm mag W/ 4x12 leapold. Reach out and touch um.

I've heard and personally witnessed a few Kimbers that just wouldn't shoot. When I buy rifles I go with the rifles that have a reputation for accuracy and my perception of the Kimber is that you'll be lucky to get one that shoots consistently with factory loaded ammo. Although, it is nothing a custom barrel won't fix if you absolutely love the feel of the Kimber.

3 position safety or not, IMO if it won't shoot 1 MOA or better it's not worth packing it's weight into the mountains.

As soon as mine gets here-- I will be carrying a Win model 70 chambered in .270. I ordered the SS extreme weather synthetic/stainless w/fluted barrell.

I will know next week how well it shoots.

Even tho I archery hunt elk - My rifle for the mtns of Colorado is a Wby .340 Mag - Mark V -Alaskan that kicks out 225gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws

I have an AccuBrake and a barrel cap so I can switch between "blast" or "kick".
    I did bring it to AK 10 yrs ago and thumped a couple of 'bou with it.

Those suck.

Tikka T3 Lite. Use the money saved for good optics and rings.............. and a Limbsaver.

Everyone that picks mine up goes......."Hey, that's a nice sheep rifle."
    Now what ?

Right now I have 2 custom Remington 700 magnums, both with Shilen barrels, Shilen triggers, Gre-tan shroud and firing pin assemblies, Talley LW and Wildcat fiberglass stocks. One is .270 WBY (25") and the other is .338 Win (22"), and both are 7 lbs with scope; a Kimber Montana (7mm-08) with Talleys and a Kahles 2-7x32 weighs 6 lbs; a Sako 85 Finnlight in .300 WSM that comes in a little less than 7 lbs with a Leupold 2.5-8x36; and finally, a 700 Ti action with a factory mag contour/fluted barrel in 7mm-08 that is waiting get something done with it.

That said, my 'dream' mountain gun is a NULA, but am having a tough time settling on the caliber. I haven't shot the Kimber a lot yet, but if I can't get it shooting good it's going to get hocked, and the money will go (partially) towards ordering a NULA, 7mm-08.

At the moment, I use and like my .270 WBY the most. It's very accurate, light, and is always my first pick when I go hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    I've heard and personally witnessed a few Kimbers that just wouldn't shoot. When I buy rifles I go with the rifles that have a reputation for accuracy and my perception of the Kimber is that you'll be lucky to get one that shoots consistently with factory loaded ammo. Although, it is nothing a custom barrel won't fix if you absolutely love the feel of the Kimber.

3 position safety or not, IMO if it won't shoot 1 MOA or better it's not worth packing it's weight into the mountains.

I have never owned a KIMBER Rifle, I use Mauser's with 3- position wing safety conversion. AND Open Sights, or Lyman Receiver Sight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast