Thread: Kenai Float

Default Kenai Float

Hello all, I just bought a new raft for fall hunting and wanted to start breaking it in. I understand that the Kenai is a decent float and not too terribly difficult. My question deals with fishing from a raft. How do you do it on the Kenai? I've fished the Kenai with guides from powerboats, but not from rafts. I'm more interested about the experience, but I thought why not drop a line as well. As I get near the Russian, should I pull over on an empty stretch of bank, or can I fish from the raft?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Moose44

I fish out of a one man cat and find it easier just to pull up to a gravel bar and shore fish. Trying to control your raft while fighting a fish is tough to do.

Default Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
    As I get near the Russian, should I pull over on an empty stretch of bank, or can I fish from the raft?
    Good luck finding an empty stretch of land to fish from near the Russian. Sanctuary opens on June 15th.

I agree with Drifter. It is very difficult to fish and operate a one man cat at the same time. The Kenai is a great float, but it is fast deep water. (IMO) You are much better off pulling over and fishing from select locations. You can also go downstream of the crowds at the Russian and fish in peace for Reds. Enjoy the float and don't forget their is a rafting forum as well.

Default Skilak

I would go across Skilak lake and float down to Bing's. Great float, not so many people and good rainbow and some Russian reds to boot. Just have to motor or paddle across the lake to get there.