Thread: Fly-In Salmon Fishing

Default Fly-In Salmon Fishing

I posted this over on the fishing forum a couple weeks ago, but didn't get a single reply. So I thought I would try over here. Hope its ok in this forum.

My Grandfather is coming up to visit the first week of July. He is a big fisherman and I would love to take him on a fishing trip. I would like to have the added "Alaskan Experience" by flying him into a spot somewhere and then fishing from there. I have a C172 on floats and a J-3 on wheels (I would prefer going in the 172). A lodge to stay at would be nice but not necessary. Camping is OK. We will be flying out of Wasilla.

Any ideas on some places that might meet my criteria?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason

Default one suggestion

that should be good timing for newhalen reds. there is a b&b on illiamna lake you can stay at. I forget the name but you'll figure that part out. She will run you to the river from the lodge. Or Coghill lake if the reds are there then. That's probably better.
    Eshamy, any of the popular pws areas should hold fish then.
    Wolverine creek at big river lakes? Start with these but I really like the newhalen/illiamna area.
    Kevin

Default Thom2249

I think the locals are protecting their favorite fishing hole. I'm no longer in the air taxi business so here's a few places: Lake Creek, Beluga Lake, Kalgan Island, Big Crescent Lake, Swanson River, Kenai River, Upper Russian Lake, Most of the Bristol Bay rivers, Dozens of small streams that flow into Lake Illiamina, Illimina River, Tazimina River, Kijak Lake, Gilbralter, Copper River, Telarik Creek, Knudson Bay, Fox Bay. The beauty of Illiamina is you can see the fish schooled up at the mouth of each stream. Katmai Park and Brooks River gives you bear viewing and fishing together.Be careful of Lake Clark and Illiamina, they can blow up fast. Watch the east/southeast wind. Port Allsworth has nice cabins and great meals and you'll meet people from all over. It's also the best place for fuel. Prince William Sound has some fresh water lakes: Coghill Lake, Eshamy Bay(also cutthroat trout in the lake), Shrod Lake, Pilot Bay etc. You can always call the ADF&G fish biologist and they can give you current reports. Good luck and stay on the weather.

I think I have narrowed it down to Iliamna with Lake Creek as a back up in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

Still looking for some info on the best place to land with floats as well as a good place to stay in Iliamna. I will not have any ground transportation once I am there so all of this in close proximity to the Newhalen would be great. I am also on a budget, so if there is any "inside" info on how to get some good deals on lodging, that would be great to. I have access to lots of great gear, so I would be willing to do a trade deal as well.

As far as Lake Creek goes, is there some good (inexpensive) places to stay or camp at Chelatna Lake? Is there good salmon fishing if we just flew into the lake and then fished and then flew out without running the river?

My wife was born and raised in Palmer and I followed her back up here about 3 years ago. I fell in love with the place. I am almost done with my private pilots liscense and will be flying out there with my father-in-law (and my grandpa) in his plane. I am really excited about learning as much as I can about places to fly, and fish, and explore.

Just thought I would give you some background so you can understand why I am asking all these questions.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jason

Default Protecting Secrets?

Man, you all must be really protecting your secrets. Am I in the wrong forum again? Should I go back to the fishing forum?

i think you are right about most people protecting their spots, if you put it out on the internet you run the risk of being overrun. that being said a true "secret spot" is very rare most are well known if you ask around discreetly. part of the fun is prospecting on your own as well. i dont know as much about iliamna but as far as chelatna there is only one lodge on the lake, chelatna lake lodge, it is reasonably priced by fly out lodge standards, they can take you guided fishing or just boat you down to the fishable water and pick you up later. they have nice cabins, a killer view and excellent food. if you dont want to stay there but want other services like pick up/ drop off, dinner etc they are usually accomodating. you can camp on the airstrip or at the put-in point for the rafters in the lagoon at the outlet. if you are on floats you can land in the lagoon or the main lake and then taxi into the lagoon. there is a long straight stretch of the creek after the lagoon that has very little current and usually poor fishing. the best fishing is after the straight stretch. if the water is high you can taxi down the straight stretch, if not you run the risk of grounding out on gravel bars as the channel is very hard to see. recommend checking it out for yourself the first time. by the time salmon get up to chelatna they arent in the best shape, fishing for rainbows is usually better. good luck

Default thom2249

I have had a cabin on Chelatna for over 25 years and know the lake well. You won't find rainbows this early. The salmon have to make it to the lake before the rainbows show up. You can fish the mouth or land at Quite Lake and take the trail at the north end down to the river.If you go to Illiamina avoid the falls at the Newhalen River. If you don't have a plane that's where you go because you can walk from the south end of the runway. Fly the coast line toward Pile Bay and you'll find fish everywhere, if they've arrived. Spend the night at Port Allsworth. Either tent or rent a cabin. Either way you won't forget fishing reds at Illiamina. If you would like to call me I'd be happy to talk with you-505-321-6415

On floats? The Kvichak river is usually good for reds in early July. Fly over the braids and you can easily see the fish if they're there. There are lodges in the area but I've never used one there.

Default There it is!

There's that great Alaskan spirit I fell in love with!

Thanks for all the info guys. This is really helpful information.

thom2249. I will definitely be in touch. Thanks.

Go to ADFG's website. Then go to sport fish. Then select fish counts. Last year in the first 10 days of July the Kvichak had a 265K and a 275K fish DAY! That's right, 275K sockeye in a single day. Does that sound like fun?

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

Default Bulchitna Lake

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Another question. If I fly into Bulchitna Lake is there a (Public) trail to get from the end of the lake down to the river?

I flew over the area yesterday to scout it out and it looked like mostly private land in between the lake and the river.

I just don't want to intrude on anyone's privacy seeing as they probably get a lot of traffic in the area as it is.

Jason

there is an area where you can park your plane in the cove in the south end of the lake nearest to the creek. you have to go well into the cove and the parking spot is across from the dock at bulchitna lodge. bulchitna lodge will not let you park on their beach. there is only room for one plane at that spot so if someone is there you can park at the point at the entrance to the cove. there are trails from there that take you to a small lagoon that connects out to the creek. please dont walk across the dam at the outlet of the lake. it is a half assed structure and was damaged last year by human traffic and now the lake is down about a foot. if anybody sees you on the dam expect to get hassled. if follow the little connector creek you can either skirt around the lagoon to the right(poor trail) or take a small jump across the creek to the good trail.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help. I remember seeing the cove.

I will make sure to stay off of the Dam.

Jason

looks like Chelatna lake lodge has a 1400' strip.

The Reds are not in Lake Creek yet. Kings are in but seem to have lock jaw. I'm down at the mouth every morning on catch days and hook up several times. Reds are a lot of fun and tasty. Great tip on the Newhalen I'm going to give it a go next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    The Reds are not in Lake Creek yet. Kings are in but seem to have lock jaw. I'm down at the mouth every morning on catch days and hook up several times. Reds are a lot of fun and tasty. Great tip on the Newhalen I'm going to give it a go next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is there a strip to land on to get to lake creek? There's a great gravel bar on the wrong side of the Yentna where the two meet, but it doesn't look like the greatest place to produce fish(I might be wrong though).
    In my very limited experience it seems the fish much prefer clear water to the silty.

There is a very small bush strip on the island directly across from the lodge. You will need a boat to get across. The water has been pretty muddy and fishing just OK. Silvers should be arriving soon. Last year was a poor sockeye run, hoping this year better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    There is a very small bush strip on the island directly across from the lodge. You will need a boat to get across. The water has been pretty muddy and fishing just OK. Silvers should be arriving soon. Last year was a poor sockeye run, hoping this year better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ya I'm familiar with that strip. I was just hoping there was something on the correct side of the river.