Thread: Oar-Lock Squeak.....make it STOP!

Default Oar-Lock Squeak.....make it STOP!

Both of my oarlocks squeak like crazy! Can't enjoy the peace and quiet of the float due to the dang squeak (every-stroke).
    What should I use? Marine grease or some kind of graphite etc.?

Ed

Default White lithium grease

Go pick up a can of white Lithium Grease spray the shaft noise will stop.

P.S. Water resistant White Lithium Grease. Treat at the begining of the season and about every three weeks after that. Wipe off the old stuff first.

:-)

Default grease

Good tip MOOSE- That's exactly my cure too-
    Goo

Thanks.................!

Smile

If running brass open oarlocks... installing a spring kit is also a good tip. This will reduce the up/down slop as well as it's primary function to lesson kinetic energy of the oar shaft lifting up --- that over time will create a greater gap (opening) in the 'U' shaped fitting of the lock itself. The lithium grease works, yet most any will. In a pinch a little dab 'ill do ya.

I use silicone spray on my oarlocks, but mine have a nylon sleeve in the socket. It seems to work good for a few trips, but after I give it a wash it will need to be re-applied. I carry a spray bottle of it on board incase it happens while on the river.

Talking

One time on the Situk in a rented drift boat I used the little packet of mayonnaise from my bag lunch, worked like a charm!!

Default Try a little...

SunBlock if you need something when your on the river

Default Viper lube

Viper Lube made by LOCTITE is the only 100% water proof grease and works great.

Default Spring kit

Just got the NRS spring kit in today and also scored some fiber-composite washers from NAPA that are used for engine oil drain plugs. Hope they work as well as the suggested nylon washers.
    No luck at West Marine for the white lithium grease, got T-9 made by Boeing and it seems to be good so far.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Just got the NRS spring kit in today and also scored some fiber-composite washers from NAPA that are used for engine oil drain plugs. Hope they work as well as the suggested nylon washers.
    No luck at West Marine for the white lithium grease, got T-9 made by Boeing and it seems to be good so far.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice.

Ed
    Hi Ed,

Lots of good suggestions here, and I thought I'd add one more tip:

Be careful with grease around your tubes! Some of that stuff penetrates the boat material and can make it impossible to hold a patch later. Also some chemicals are bad for your boat fabric. Give Tracey a call at Alaska Raft and Kayak to make sure you're not creating a problem for yourself.

In the field, I have used dish soap and it works great for the short haul. I have also used wax in a pinch. If a squeak develops while you're hunting, even water, poured into the area where the oarlock shaft goes, can help get you through your hunt, until you get back to camp and come up with a longer-term fix.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mr. Stahan:

Thank you sir. So far..................I've kept the lube off the tubes and at a bear minimum. Mods so far seem to have worked but will have to put them under load to verify. I also found a small raised rim at the opening of both of my oar mounts which I filed smooth. I think it will all settle out at this point with a little wear-in.

Ed

Lowes has two kinds of white lithium grease for less than 6 bucks..Both are water resistant..