Thread: CRP a benifit? To who?

Red face CRP a benifit? To who?

Iv'e watched on tv, hunting shows, and in the mag;s where they tout the benifit of Federal monies going into these programs to increase the numbers of game birds by increasing the habatat they use. My problem is in ALMOST every example the hunts are on private / leased lands that everyday people have no access to for free. I very much am an anoyed when our tax dollars are used so farms can grow into shooting preserves on my dime ,and we have no access! What do you think? Please correct me if i'm wrong? Bill.

I've hunted coutless acres of CRP and have never had a problem accessing them. In the area I grew up, CRP is definately benificial to not only the bird populations, but the deer as well. Its amazing how easily a deer can vanish just by laying down in a sea of grass!

I'm sure there are areas were it is locked up, but i really don't think the CRP program was established to increase our hunting opportunities. Its still private land and theirs to do what the wish with.

My wife's family has a fair amount of acreage in CRP and every inch of it is open to free public hunting through Montana's Block Management Program. The Conservation Reserve Program has nothing to do with hunting access anyway. The program is designed to preserve native prairie habitats that were getting plowed under to grow grain crops when there was an over abundance of harvested grains. I think it's an awesome program that's helped out a whole assortment of species.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    Iv'e watched on tv, hunting shows, and in the mag;s where they tout the benifit of Federal monies going into these programs to increase the numbers of game birds by increasing the habatat they use. My problem is in ALMOST every example the hunts are on private / leased lands that everyday people have no access to for free. I very much am an anoyed when our tax dollars are used so farms can grow into shooting preserves on my dime ,and we have no access! What do you think? Please correct me if i'm wrong? Bill.

And just exactly how much of the habitat that the DU purchases for waterfowl do you get to hunt? That money comes directly from hunters.

Wasn't aware there was CRP in Alaska.

Default CRP rip offs

In Washington I've seen a lot of good and bad land owners, some play fair, some don't. CRP for public use gets more money per acre and once that check starts coming in some landowners then close their lands off and no one at the state level seems to check or care.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Well.. no program is perfect as long as humans are involved. But I'd say the CRP program is dollar for dollar one of the best investments for hunters in the country. I think a couple of posters bring up a good issue - in my view we as citizens should be vigilant in policing abuses of any program.

CRP is a good program though. Think about it. You're interspersing cover amongst agriculture. It becomes super productive habitat - there's lots to eat nearby.

I'm originally from central Indiana ( a LONG time ago ). "Clean farming" techniques that took out every foot right up the hedge row, combined with a couple of devastating winters in the early 80's wiped out the pheasant and quail populations. As time has gone on there has been less clean farming - but unfortunately more housing projects.

CRP has become really important. Most lands that I know off have public access as part of the payment agreement.

I still have an uncle with a big farm in northern indiana - a thrid is in agriculture - the rest he sort of just manages like some sort of game refuge. I love ging back there and hunting. Uncle makes good use of CRP instead of entertaining some notion of subdivding it.

Even though he's basically retired - people have to make money off there land - they pay property taxes - which are going way up as land gets more valuable.

Unforunately this has increased the trend of "pay hunting" which get really pissed about. When I was young we used to hunt because we didn't have any money and that was dirt cheap way to have fun.

I miss the old days. Kids now could never do what we used to do - I feel sorry for them

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Wasn't aware there was CRP in Alaska.
    Surprisingly there is some CRP land in Delta Junction. It is hard to believe that farmers in Delta are being subsidised by the government not to grow anything when they were subisidised to start the barley project there to begin with! CRP was meant to reclaim agricultural land for wildlife in heavily developed areas. Seems hard to justify in Delta given that there is so little developed land in the state, but the bison, grouse and moose sure like it. Most of the farmers in Delta who allow hunting on their property either charge an access or kill fee to hunt bison and most won't allow hunting for anything other than bison.

Default CRP

Any improvements to habitat is a good thing. Whether its on private or public land. Besides don't wild animals and birds move. These animals that are benefiting from CRP will move to other lands where they will be hunted by others.
    KLICKMAN