Thread: Smoked Salmon Chowder

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Smoked Salmon Chowder

Does anybody have any gut busting Smoked Salmon Chowder Recipes? I just smoked 20lbs of Reds and was just wondering what you guys thought?

Rob

I have one in a cook book tomorrow, but I will have to wait to post it till tomowwor. If I remember.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Smoked Salmon Corn Chowder

Threw one together, Prolly the best chowder I've ever had.
    Enjoy,
    Rob

Smoked Salmon Corn Chowder

3 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 teaspoon garlic powder/ substitute ˝ Tbsp Fresh
    2 cups Chopped potatoes
    2 carrots, diced
    2 cups chicken broth (or Veggie Broth)
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp dried dill weed
    ˝ tsp Thyme
    2 cups Fresh Smoked Salmon (measurements need not apply here, as much as you want)
    1 can evaporated milk
    1/3 cup cream
    1 can creamed corn (white)
    ˝ can whole kernel corn (yellow)
    Try adding some cheddar cheese for effect

Directions

1.) Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery, and garlic powder until onions are tender. Stir in potatoes, carrots, broth, pepper, and dill. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
    2.) Stir in salmon, evaporated milk, cream, corn, thyme and cheese. Cook/reduce until thickened to liking. Serve with fresh hot sourdough or in sourdough bowls.

If you're looking for uses for smoked salmon, try a pizza. We've done it with sour creme and flaked smoke salmon, easy and good!

Good recpie double shovel, made it last night and it turned out really good. Thanks for sharing.

Default Thanks!

Thanks alot B-radford. I'm glad it worked out. Yeah it turned out awesome for myself as well, I added some Cholula and man that chipotle makes it even better. Happy hunting (or fishing, it's that time of year).

Rob

I checked my cook books and only found corn chowder, seafood chowder, and clam/oyster chowder. I will give this a try with my last smoked salmon from last year.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

garnede, either you smoked a TON of salmon last year, or you guys don't eat it as fast as we do!

I really look forward to trying the chowder recipe above when we get more fish. Sounds incredible.
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSHOVEL85 View Post
    Enjoy,
    Rob

3 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 cups Chopped potatoes
    2 carrots, diced
    1 tsp dried dill weed
    ˝ tsp Thyme
    2 cups Fresh Smoked Salmon (measurements need not apply here, as much as you want)
    1 can evaporated milk
    1/3 cup cream

Directions

1.) Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery, and garlic powder until onions are tender. Stir in potatoes, carrots, broth, pepper, and dill. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
    2.) Stir in salmon, evaporated milk, cream, corn, thyme and cheese. Cook/reduce until thickened to liking. Serve with fresh hot sourdough or in sourdough bowls.

Great recipe, we didn't have any smoked salmon but made it last night with halibut and it was delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    garnede, either you smoked a TON of salmon last year, or you guys don't eat it as fast as we do!

I really look forward to trying the chowder recipe above when we get more fish. Sounds incredible.
    I smoked a ton and I probably don't eat it sa fast as you. Single for a few more months and my fiancee does not eat fish.

Default Great recipe!

I used some crab meat and it was awesome. I did salmon for a work buffet and it was GONE in a matter of minutes!

Doubleshovel85... I'm speechless! That was the most awesome chowder I've ever tasted!!! Thanks so much for posting the recipe. I'm still on a chowder high right now! That was awesome!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSHOVEL85 View Post
    Enjoy,
    Rob

3 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 cups Chopped potatoes
    2 carrots, diced
    1 tsp dried dill weed
    ˝ tsp Thyme
    1 can evaporated milk
    1/3 cup cream

Directions

My wife has been using a very similar recipe for a couple years now, turns out fantastic every time! We substituted canned salmon for smoked salmon about half the time with no noticeable difference in taste.

Default I can't wait to try this!

This sounds just awesome and pretty simple too! Thanks for sharing

Lightbulb Gwin's Lodge Recipe

Anyone who has fished the Russian River or at least passed through Cooper Landing while driving along the Sterling Highway has probably made a pitstop at Gwin's Lodge.

The place is famous for its award-winning smoked salmon chowder and, after dining there on more than one occasion, I can personally vouch for its deliciousness.

For years now, I've been meaning to whip up a batch at home. However, there's one key ingredient that has been a bit of a challenge to track down: fish stock. Always figured I'd boil a few filleted sockeye carcasses, but just haven't got around to doing it. It might be easier and just as good to substitute with chicken stock instead.

Anyway, for those interested in trying another option, here is the Gwin's Lodge version of smoked salmon chowder:

http://www.record-eagle.com/food/loc...ces_printstory