Thread: Heads-up for Kasilof Drifters

Exclamation Heads-up for Kasilof Drifters

For those that are new to the take-out at the Cabins that we put in a number of years ago, I wanted to pass along a quick reminder for those that haven't used it before:

Make sure when you go to pull the boat up that any motor (especially electrics with long shafts) is up or in the boat and that you pull the oars and put them in the boat as well.

Most will probably want to turn their rod holders in as well.

The aluminum / uhmw chute is wide enough for the biggest of drifters, but was not meant to have protrusions well out to the side of the boat.

When I hooked up the boat behind me last night, I asked if he was good to go. He said "yep" and I started pulling him up. He had tilted his electric, but left the shaft extended and also had his oars in the locks and just pulled into the boat.

The end result, busted motor shaft and two totally mashed oarlocks when they hit the chute.

Knowing he was a new guide that I've only seen once, I probably should have looked over the hill to see if he had set his boat up properly, but I knew he was there the night before, so I figured he had an idea. After asking if all was good, I just pulled the next boat as is the custom ...

"Rookie Mistake" he laughed

Kind of an expensive one!

So, just a reminder to the new folks using the lower ramp for the first time to make sure you're good to go when the boagt in front asks if you're ready

Default Hey Bob

What is the name of the road that you take to get to the Cabins? Assume that this is Kasilof Cabins downstream of Coho???

BTW - you hooking any fish? Come on - give us some food for thought - I will be on the Kas sat - maybe sunday.

St. Elias is the street name for the cabins, the signs down there often seem to disappear though

About 10-12 cracks per trip at fish over the last two weeks or so, about half of what it should be.

Plenty of clippers on the sort days right now, over 50%, probably about 2/3 for us lately.

"Kill Days" are very busy ... 3-4 times the traffic of sort days, especially with Kenai not having fished very well recently ... although I heard of better reports the last 36 hours or so.

Default sounds busy

we will just have to go with the flow on Saturday - -

Any reds from shore fishers yet?

Seen a few spurts here and there .... we actually got two a couple of nights back, one on kwikie and the other bouncing eggs ... nice bonus fish

Smile Your Big Day!

Happy Birthday Bob., from us. Thanks for the fishing invites. We will do it soon.

Default ramp questions?

I just had a couple of questions about your takeout ramp. I havn't used your ramp before, but is is similar to trujillio's ramp where a truck pulls the cable up which is attached to the drift boat? When dropping off the truck and trailer do we need to go to the office to pay for the ramp use and what is the Aluminum chute that you mention of?

Thanks for any info. I need to get my first Kasilof float in real soon, it has been way too long.

Scott

Talking

Works very much like Trujillo's, but it was never designed to handle the full influx of boats using the lower river ... so expect some major delays at times. On some of the kill days, several hour waits have been reported.

There are definitely a few tricks to make it work efficiently, so you might consider watching a few boats some time before you try it yourself. There are instructions posted by the payment box that is loacted on the downstream side of the chute.

The folks that own the property now ask that payment is made when you park your turnaround vehicle, not after you take-out so they can keep better track.

Here is a picture of the run with tide most of the way up, much longer at lower tides: