Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plane crashes, bears and clients!!

Default plane crashes, bears and clients!!

Well....been a while for an update so i thought i'd rattle one off real quick here. did a hunt end of may with a client who'd fired his gun 10 times before his grizzly bear hunt, bragged about his shooting and wounded and lost a nine foot plus grizz at 200 yards even shooting off a rest. his buddy dropped a nice black bear but the trip was pretty sour due to this guys lack of preperation.
    Next hunt, husband and wife. I flew out in the first load and we crashed...hard turn, stalled out, poured the power to it to try and save it, didn't work and hit the ground sideways and tore off the gear, bent a few things and pretzeled the prop. pilot and i were fine, as crashes go it was an easy one.

Next morning we were able to get on this breeding pair of black bears and both husband and wife dropped them with one shot at the same time. boom boom, two bears. hers is 7'6" adn his was right at 6'.

Two days later, we found this guy tailing a sow, and made our move on him, he mounted her and we ran like crazy while his eyes were rolled back in his head, they moved off and we kept on, finally found them and a quick one shot killed put this 9'11" bear on the ground, my biggest bear from unit 13 in 12 years, skull was 26 3/8". one rub down his spine, and a few broken teeth but other wise in great shape! client threw up twice on the stalk..sometimes you've gotta push harder than you've ever pushed to get something done.

Gotta have fun with them sometimes!!! wet willy style!!

bottom line to all this, is preparation will make or break your trip, would you rather be the first client who lost his bear because he didn't put any time into a huge invest ment. OR be the second client who practiced his shooting ALOT, got in shape and came out with a good attitude....and scored when it came time to act?!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Great job as always Jake. Glad to hear you and the pilot made it out safe. Have a great summer.

Steve

Very nice!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Jake glad things went well in the crash. Was that a air taxi plane?

ya it was an air taxi, i took the N numbers off and the guy standing next to it....didn't want to start spreadin' stuff about anyone. i'd fly with him again...just a bum deal that happened and i was in the back seat....spendy though....
    Master guide 212

Eyes rolled back in his head......too funny! Great post.

That is very thoughtful. Nice bears.

Nice going Jake! How far did you guys have to skedaddle to get in position on the griz? What caliber did he shoot him with?

grizz was shot with a .300 winny, with 180 swift A frames, i think. the remington safari load, not sure if its 180 or 200 grain.
    he was about 2 miles out i guess when we first spotted him, but the route we had to take to get him was probably a little less than that by the time we got to where he was. he came closer while we were after him. just one big river valley to cross and walla! lol
    Master guide 212

...excellent ('cept for the grizz)! Always enjoy your updates, and look forward to your threads. Very down to earth, and lotsa common sense. Refreshing, nowadays. The plane ride must required a change of shorts, no?!

Mark.

Default You're a class act Jake!

Great post Jake, congrats on the successful bears. Really appreciate your motivational common-sense educational posts on what hunting is all about and how it can be successful by being in physical shape and putting in a lot of practice with your weapon of choice.

So glad no one was hurt in the, uh...landing. We don't call them crashes up here when you walk away from them <grin>. Wings and fuselage look mostly intact, hope he got it choppered out and can repair it. From the sounds of it you had someone looking over you guys.
    Best,

Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on your success. You know what they say about "any landing you can walk away from"! Too bad about the wounded 9 footer. Have a good summer and good luck this fall.

the left wing has a bow in it now, tips up a bit in the last couple feet, fusalodge has a couple tweeks in it, obviously the prop did some tillin' on the slide...
    ya we did walk away from it and ya the chopper was able to get in and carry it out. after the crash we had it all cleaned up and gone before the last client got to the field...was a quick matter.
    but yes, we all walked away from it ok..little sore but fine overall.
    Master guide 212

WHOOWEEE! Only in Alaska! Glad to hear no one was hurt and it all made for another Great Alaskan Adventure for both you and your clients. Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Man, aircraft crashes, bears running around, clients barfing on the stalk, what else can happen? Never boring is it? Glad you are ok and the stories and pictures are great, thanks. That first client should have known the cardinal rule, never brag to the guide, not only have they heard it all before, now you have to produce and its really embarrassing when you don't.

lol ya it was embarssing when he didn't show up for the game he told me he couldn't play...specially walkin' down that minimal blood trail for 600 yards with me just shakin' my head, makin' sure he knew how happy i wasn't!
    he'll relive that shot forever....
    Master guide 212

Glad you are O.K. I think I recognize that cub
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My buddy and I have had a saying for a long time... "Is it worth puking over?" That bear would be a definate yes.

Congrats on the successful hunts, and I'm glad you guys are okay from the rough landing.

Default Thanks for the update

Glad to hear that everyone is alright. I hope that you are writing a book and keeping track of all your adventures. Seems like you always have an interesting story to share with all of us. You are indeed a brave man if you would fly with that pilot again!! Hope that he had insurance. Did the man that couldn't pay have to walk back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast